Sep 29, 2017
So Central Indiana
First Name
RC
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
What options were available for kick panels on Jeepsters? I assume what's left on mine is not original, but I've seen all manner of different materials in photos, though mostly vinyl of one fashion or another.

20171002_090537.jpg

Most that I've seen recently that are pre-cut from a pattern are a very thin masonite and then you cover with your own material. I have come across a very thin material from one of the box stores that's some kind of composite and on the back is a printed 1" grid across the entire 4X8 sheet. I am going to try and use this stuff for the overhead on my pickup using the old stiff as a pattern and then wrap it with vinyl.

I was thinking of making kick panel, door panel, and quarters panel out of thin plywood treat it and then cover it with an Exotic wood verneer

I used 1/4" cabinet makers plywood and covered it with fabric. Not original but I like the result.

DSC00233.jpgDSC00237.jpg

I was thinking about using 3/16" tempered hardboard and spraying it with spar varnish before upholstering it.

That's what I used, and brushed clear urethane over it. I was happy enough to have the panels covered that I just put them on like that! Some thin foam and upholstery would complete it.

What options were available for kick panels on Jeepsters? I assume what's left on mine is not original, but I've seen all manner of different materials in photos, though mostly vinyl of one fashion or another.

View attachment 39707
I found Formica to be ideal. Available in all sorts of colors and textures. Not affected by moisture like the original pasteboard. It is 1/16" thick. I used a RotoZip type tool -miniature router- to cut it. All the saws I tried chipped it.

There is a distributor of auto upholstery materials out in WA that I’ve used, selling door-panel- and kick-panel-specific kraft board, like OEMs used in the 40s-70s. Min order is 4 to avoid bending in shipment, but it’s excellent to work with and cuts/drills easily.

I used it in my ‘50 VJ and covered it with the Enduratex that the rest of the interior (seats, doors, boot) used. Try the link here:

https://www.perfectfit.com/15347/15...olstery/Kraft-Tan-Waterproof-Panel-Board.html

We sell the kick panels and door panels. We sell them in plain black fiberboard if you want to cover them or I can cover them in vinyl. Pleats or no pleats. #thejeepsterman

Back