Jan 9, 2017
Kennewick, Washington
First Name
Scott
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
I just picked up an unknown condition motor and then I bought a starter from a member here and now I'm trying to put the two together and get the motor to start I am not getting any spark at the points I have power to the coil on both sides 12v known good coil off another one of my Jeep

I can trace power from positive on coil to negative on coil 2 distributor stud and then to half of the points when open

With points open I put one lead of a multimeter on each side of the points and I have grounded one side and power at the other everything seems like it's how I think it should be but after playing with it for a bit The Wire that's original inside the distributor that goes from the distributor stud to the points begins to smoke and get really hot really fast not while cranking just with power on I'm assuming that means that wire is grounding out am I correct in thinking that or what should I check next

I had already sanded points with sandpaper and didn't have spark. But decided to sand again with rougher sandpaper and now it has spark but it's yellow spark so not ideal. But that internal wire was still smoking so I removed the points plate and remade and soldered new internal wires. And sandpapered the mounting area for the points plate and haven't installed it yet so not sure if it will still smoke wire.

I've already installed new plugs and spark plug wires and sanded points but I'm only trying to see condition and if it runs since this is a spare motor for a project down the road so I don't want to replace everything just to have it sit for an unknown amount of time or I would give it a full tuneup

Time to reinstall points plate and see if wires still smoke....

I reinstalled points plate with new internal wires and soldered them and cleaned grounds and no more hot wires and no more smoking wires. Didn't see anything obvious maybe the old original wire was corroded inside but no more spark issues. Now to make it run lol

I got it to run for a few seconds on starting fluid. Then I did a compression check and the numbers are not good but I'm thinking it's mostly valve related either not opening and closing or adjustment or something like that. Maybe timing but I'm not sure how to static time motor not running 226 super hurricane. Probably won't mess with this motor anymore until I have plans to use it

I got it to run for a few seconds on starting fluid. Then I did a compression check and the numbers are not good but I'm thinking it's mostly valve related either not opening and closing or adjustment or something like that. Maybe timing but I'm not sure how to static time motor not running 226 super hurricane. Probably won't mess with this motor anymore until I have plans to use it

Then go with Pertronix! I fiddled with points for a long time before upgrading. Every time it sat for a while or I left the key on for a short period of time the points were toast. I installed Pertronix 3-4 years ago and haven't messed with the distributor since. Always fires right up.

Back