Reproduction 1950-1956 FUEL OIL AMP TEMP gauge labels now available via OWF store

Which gauge labels would you be interested in?

• 1946-1948.5 silver-faced gauges in single rectangular assembly

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • 1948.5-1950.5 black-faced gauges in a single rectangular assembly

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • 1950.5-1951 gauge set with the 0-8 (~4") speedometer

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • 1951-1956.5 gauge set with the 0-9 (~4") speedometer

Votes: 35 41.2%
  • 1956.5-1957 (~6") single gauge assembly

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • 1958-1964 (~6") single gauge assembly

Votes: 22 25.9%

• Total voters

scramboleer

Super Moderator
Staff member
All-Star
Aug 16, 2011
San Francisco, California
First Name
Dan
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1964
All,

Some of you have asked where you could buy the "rub-on" gauge labels described here. Now thanks to Pete, you can order them directly via the OWF store.

Here's a picture of the 1950.5 to 1951 style:
1950-1951 Willys gauges 7.jpg

Here's the 1952 to 1956 style:
1952-1956 gauge label 5.jpg
1952-1956 Willys gauges 4.jpg

These are sold in sets of four (FUEL OIL AMP TEMP). Each set of four costs $20 total including shipping; All-Star members get a discount to $18. If you are considering restoring your gauges for your 1950.5-1956 truck, wagon, Delivery (or 1950.5 - 1951 Jeepster), then you might find these helpful.

Cheers,

Dan AKA Scramboleer

I went to the order page but I can't get the pic to the left to enlarge. I've got a 55 and want to make sure they match before I order. Also, is it the guage bars and wording or just the wording ?

Thanks Mickey. Great question. The labels are for the AMP TEMP FUEL OIL wording that go on the faceplate. The markings of the gauge faces themselves are separate and not included.

All,

Here's a some extra info. Please click to enlarge pictures:

Willys cluster ID.jpg

cluster_id3.jpg

Each set of four labels cost $18 (for All-Star members) or $20 (for regular OWF members).

There are slight differences in the font.

The early style 1950.5-1951 is more classic font (?). It is for the 0-8 speedometer and the background on each auxiliary gauge is two lines:

Willys cluster ID early style.jpg

The late style 1952-1956.5 is more Art Deco (?). It for the 0-9 speedometer and the background on each auxiliary gauge is a single line:

Willys cluster ID late style.jpg

(All diagrams from willysamerica.com).

Last edited:
I went to the order page but I can't get the pic to the left to enlarge. I've got a 55 and want to make sure they match before I order. Also, is it the guage bars and wording or just the wording ?

Mickey,

Click on the "Read all about it" link in the description for larger pictures of both styles of font.

Pete

I need both the lower labels but also the guage background itself. Otherwise the two will not look right together, at least in my opinion.

Dan/Pete, great stuff! You might consider making a label that is volts for those using the older gauges and and upgraded their electrical systems.

Good idea Tom. I've been meaning to talk to the shop who did these about the possibility for reproducing the 1946-1950 gauge labels (the rectangular ones); I'll bring the volt idea up too.

Good idea Tom. I've been meaning to talk to the shop who did these about the possibility for reproducing the 1946-1950 gauge labels (the rectangular ones); I'll bring the volt idea up too.

Can you bring up doing the guage markings themselves so one could do a full restore?

Can you bring up doing the guage markings themselves so one could do a full restore?

Did you ever get to meet with your person about making the background labels on the guages? I would like to do both back and fore so they match and look right.

Did you ever get to meet with your person about making the background labels on the guages? I would like to do both back and fore so they match and look right.

Haven’t had a chance yet. I plan to check these auxiliary gauge faces as well as the speedo faces. The concern would be the market size: all seven of us!

Yes, I have a set of gauges i'd like to restore also, but I wont not unless I can get the "WORKS" to complete the whole set. I'll take 3 sets just to have them. This way when I pick up a set at shows or online, I can get them done and re-sell the set. Let me know!

Last edited:
You can mark me down as interested in the whole lot if the backgrounds are reproduced!

Haven’t had a chance yet. I plan to check these auxiliary gauge faces as well as the speedo faces. The concern would be the market size: all seven of us!

See, there will be more than 7 of us. The list is growing and I'm thinking most will be like me and add multiple sets.

Add me to the list....I just got a N.O.S. Set of gauges to repair my fuel gauge issue, and it is the type with arrows instead of dots. I’d love to make it match!
David

I had a friend of mine make these on a vinyl cutter a few years ago. He's no longer with us. I painted the back ground to match steering tube, wheel rims and inlays on the body when its ready. It's an off white beige/yellow with dark blue rub-on's. The whole wagon body will be dark blue to match. Just something a little more custom, something differant.
IMG_5645.jpgIMG_5646.jpgIMG_5647.jpgIMG_5669.jpgIMG_5645.jpgIMG_5646.jpgIMG_5647.jpgIMG_5669.jpg

Last edited:
Just took the cans & speedo apart, media cleaned, primed and painted. The gauge faces were the hardest. Taping off and being careful with the needles and making sure no dust got inside. I lightly sanded the faces, then painted the color. A friend of mine had a vinyl cutter and he printed these off for me about 4 years ago. These are rub-ons. Placed them on surface, rubbed them with a small rubber spatula. Re-assembled them.The speedo trim ring has been replated. It looks like its rusted because of the angle of the pic. The "high beam" indicater is no longer green. I replaced it with a piece of a blue gel from an old color wheel I had laying around. Like I said, I wanted something different and more of a modern/retro look. When I tested these, the blue lettering and numbers really show up nice. Using reg. bulb gives it a warm nice glow. I don't like LED.

I didn't take any pics of the process and I wish I did. Just didn't think of it at the time.

I plan on doing more but still waiting on finding out about the "rub-on" vinyls. I'll make those look like factory.

Last edited:
Back