Need Brake Drums and - What Size Tires Are You Running?

dennyscars

Sharpest Tool
Oct 20, 2009
Roseburg OR
First Name
Denny
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
Now I find I need four new (or good used) brake drums for my '53 Aero Falcon. This was discussed in some recent threads but I'm wondering what is available currently. I understand the drums are 9" with a 2" shoe width. If this is true then Jeepster drums won't work. Mine are badly out-of-round.

As for tires, I would like to know what size you are running. I want to get the wide whitewall radials if possible.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Original tires were bias ply 6.40X15, which does not convert easily into a radial tire. Make sure that the tires you get do not rub on the tie rod ends! They will score the tire and eventually damage them, possibly causing a blow out at an inopportune time.

Brake drums are tough to find nut they were the same drums for every year of the Aero. Some of the early ones may have ribs, but they're all interchangeable. I believe the Jeep Dispatcher used the same drums.

Original tires were bias ply 6.40X15, which does not convert easily into a radial tire. Make sure that the tires you get do not rub on the tie rod ends! They will score the tire and eventually damage them, possibly causing a blow out at an inopportune time.

Brake drums are tough to find nut they were the same drums for every year of the Aero. Some of the early ones may have ribs, but they're all interchangeable. I believe the Jeep Dispatcher used the same drums.

I think Rick is correct about the 9" drums. Good Luck!
diggerG

Hi All, The Aero used the same 4 stud, 15" wheel as the DJ3A built from late 1955 to very early 1965, and the brake parts were off the same shelf. Willys just didn't want to waste any parts from Aero production. The early Postal Vans and the 2WD International Scout had the same setup. That's the complete interchange list as far as I know. The early Rambler wheels will work, though slightly different, but I don't know about brake parts. I have 7 DJ3A examples and one Aero parts car. Might be able to help.

Back