Am I at the correct forum for MB '43 Willy's discussion?

CJ3A is all you need to know. There should be a number plate on the firewall pass. side under the hood. A 3A will not have one on the front frame ear. That is MB or 2A only.
Good body tubs are very hard to find, Anybody who has a good body will have a agood restorable Jeep, hence not for sale in parts.
It is remotely possible to find one though.
diggerG

Is anybody out there looking for a GPW engine block? It's bored .060, and has no ridges. I just found it by accident. Clean it up and re assemble. Or I will if it doesn't sell. PM me if you know anybody who is looking. It will not be cheap.
diggerG

About Jeep bodies - tubs.
There is only one source for new, reproduction tubs for old model Jeeps - M D Juan in the Philippines.
All vendors in the US will be selling his tubs. The difference between vendors is how much prep work they will do for you - like cutting holes in the dash for instruments, cutting the floor for foot pedals, etc.
Prices range from $2,000 to $3,500 last I checked.
You can restore your existing tub if it's not too far gone. There are multiple vendors of body panels if you want to save what you have.

OK, yes there are a very few odd balls out there - stainless steel, aluminum, etc. Very rare and hard find. And expensive.

IMG_0089.JPGIMG_0090.JPGIMG_0091.JPGIMG_0092.JPGIMG_0093.JPGIMG_0094.JPGIMG_0095.JPGIMG_0096.JPGIMG_0097.JPGI went by dads this afternoon and we only had a few minutes to look at the jeep. i found some numbers on the side if the engine block "CPW 6015", on the side of the head "L1531" and on the top of the head "o161". Not sure if these mean anything to you, but I am posting a few pictures to see of it shows you anything else of significance.....

Attachments

• IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 18
Dan is corect. It is a GPW engine block. That means a Ford manufactured engine from WW2. A previous owner bought a replacement engine for the Jeep, and got that. It is worth a pretty penny to someone who is rebuilding a GPW. Willys couldn't build Jeeps fast enough, so Ford stepped in and built a bunch using the Willys design. The cylinder head is for a CJ2A. The carb also is not correct, but if it works ok then keep it.
diggerG

So it appears someone in the past has done extensive modifications, huh? And that would explain the "Willys" stamp on the head, but the Ford block, right? And the C2 windshield on the CJ3 body. It is beginning to make me think I have acquired Johnny Cash's Cadiallc from the song "One piece at a time". Are we attempting n impossible task to restore this thing?

My dad has a Jeep salad too and it's awesome. It's a 1943 GPW body, 1946 Willys CJ2A frame and hood, some L134 flathead, CJ2A T90, with a modified windshield from who knows when and an aftermarket rolllbar added by a previous owner. It also has a plate on the dash saying rebuilt by Bechtel-McCone in Birmingaham, Alabama in 1945. If only it could talk! Dad added an overdrive, added a military grill, and repainted it in WWII colors.

It's nowhere near original, but it's an awesome little Jeep and we all love it.

IMG_0518.jpg

If you're trying to get everything to match, there are better Jeeps to start with. If you want a driver that has parts that are a few years off, then what you have is great.

Edwin
It's almost impossible to find a well used Jeep that hasn't had parts changes through out the years. They wrecked the windshield and bought a rebuilt motor. Not a big surprise on either issue.
diggerG

Digger, I have possibly found a tub that is in better shape than the one we have on this jeep. I believe You had said you thought my jeep is a cj3 (pictures earlier in this thread). The tub I have found is a cj2a tub. Will these interchange?

Digger, I have possibly found a tub that is in better shape than the one we have on this jeep. I believe You had said you thought my jeep is a cj3 (pictures earlier in this thread). The tub I have found is a cj2a tub. Will these interchange?

Yes it will, minor differences, but nothing spectacular.

It’s coming along slowly...

It is slowly coming along. Just found a radiator. Looking for a hood. 43E65CC4-F924-41F6-AABE-1214F3170F10.jpg2B57987C-BD51-4E1E-8089-CF9D7F8E99B6.jpg5DE363C1-DAB5-4BB5-9C8B-8B5E59B2DFF8.jpg

Back