Sep 17, 2014
Vancouver, WA
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
Anyone know somewhere online I can look up fuel tanks by dimensions? I'm trying to replace a tank on my previous owner modified truck. I don't really want to modify the space and support they created for the existing tank and I have no idea what this tank came out of.

I am am fully aware that there are companies out there that custom make tanks. I'm looking to see if I can figure out what this came off of so I can find a direct replacement or maybe pull one off another vehicle.

Thanks!

OK i I would think that all brand new aftermarket tanks have the exterior dimensions for that tank listed I don't know if there is any such site that lists the fuel tank dimensions of every vehicle ever produced so what I would do is measure the dimension of space you have then compare that to the available tanks that are made fit in your existing space and bigger is not necessarily better I know that my after market RCI
17 Gallon tank measures ...29Lx17Wx7H
I know it could have gone a little bit bigger but I did not want to see the bottom of the tank sticking down from behind the truck. So measure your available existing space and then go online and see what you can come up with from Tanks Inc. Or another similar manufacturer.

Larry

Thanks Larry. I did actually think of that first, but I'm having a hard time finding sites that list the tanks by dimension. I could find them by gallons all day. Many sites list the dimensions in the specs after you click on them, but that's a lot of clicking I've already done to come up empty. (Pun intended)

I suppose it's the fun of doing resto mod. Whenever I look for parts it's alway "year, make, model?" To which I usually reply," that's not going to work" and am immediately met with disdain. Then I go on to explain, "well I think the sbc is out of a 77 k5 blazer, the th350 tranny out of a late 70's or early 80's suburban, no idea on the transfer case but think it came with the tranny, aftermarket carb, no idea on the fuel tank, and the rest of the parts are mismatched aftermarket and Willys...from what the previous owner told me who was told from the previous, previous owner."
:p

O Really, Vatozone, Crapa ...your LAPS.... Hi...what are we working on today? .....Year, Make, Model?...18 year old kid working a parts counter dont know Sh*t bout Sh*t and pull up your pants! just let me have year, make, and model of your vehicle and we can get you parts you need.....Allright Pal ...you asked for it ......1951 Willys Overland Jeep Pickup.......
here is what happens immediately seconds after i tell them this....computer starts smoking ......Blue Screen of Death....404 ERROR Not Found!

......Ok ...UH..UH..UH....ERR..Well ......(Blink ..Blink..Blink.. Blank vacant stare)....meanwhile in the main Brainbox....Whirrrr.....Whirrr....Click,..Click ..Click..Whirr ..Beep ..Beep ..Click..Whirr.....RRREEEEE....KeR... POOOOF!!!.....am sorry who is that made by? is that like a Ford ..Chevy.. Dodge maybe? year was 199?

I really like telling them ..NO!.. it is a 1951 Willys Overland Jeep Pickup that is 66 years old has a Flathead 4 cylinder engine 3 speed tranny 2 speed Overdrive with Timken clamshell rearend and 5.38 gearing and 6 Volt wiring and insane top speed of 45 MPH! i try to keep from laughing watching their faces trying to process this information! i see the smoke from internal meltdown!
so now in order to get said parts both myself and owner of White Beast simply tell them what year make and model of our engines in the truck

Say i need you to look up this part for a 1994 Chevy K2500 with a BBC 7.4L 454 TBI ... 4L80E tranny NP241 C T-Case 3/4 ton 8 lug axles 4.10 gear ratio

Now in my case its a 1995 SBC 5.7L 350 TBI .....has a 1987 700R4 tranny and 87-89 NP208 T-case and 91 burban axles 3.42 ratio

then we stand a chance in Hell of getting right parts more often then not we will take part needed with us and then toss it to the counter kid here i need this part match it up please!
but for those of you who have orginial parts this wont work got to go to say Crapa and find the weatherbeaten guy who is as old as the truck then you have fighting chance he knows what the hell you are talking bout as he was 18 year old kid pumping gas on the corner when truck was built.
other then that,...you come straight here ask your question)s get straight honest answers from those who own and know and have real world expereince in these matters.

Larry

Knock it off Greg, :cheers:

Give Larry a hardy thumbs up and buy him a frosty cold mug of you know what!!! BEER. :beer:

Last edited:
Hello Larry, you put a ton of smiles on a lot of forum members faces for your "Telling it like it is" at the parts counter. GOOD WORK.

I go to NAPA regional warehouse/store and avoid the local street stores

Hey Tom

Aww what the Hell....what can i say ? if I,m Lyin ..i,m Dyin!!...I am just callin em like i see em! ....(your results may vary) and that sadly is the truth!....yeah?... dont think so? ...ok try it next trip to your LAPS....see what happens!........ dont say i didnt warn ya! My problem is deciding who to go to? depending on time of day, part needed, availability, pricing and distance from house ....seeing as i got no fewer than 7 stores within 3 miles of me! 3 Vatozones... 2 O Reallys...1 Advance Auto and 1 Crapa store!

O Really...1 mile south
Advance 1.5 miles south west
VatoZone 2 miles south
O Really 2.5 miles south west
VatoZone 2.75 miles south west
VatoZone 2.5 miles south east
Crapa 3.2 miles south west

Now then ...who has what,.. right now at what price? online store...dont show...call on phone.....(your call is very important to us please continue to....)..20 mins later.....#*&^#%@*&#!....Hell if they know!....Sigh.......get in Damn truck and go! and Hell yes i will take that cold beer if/when i get back from the parts store! one is required after every trip!....one of these days am gonna tell them....Son,...Your gonna drive me to Drinkin.. if you dont stop bein stupid and start Thinkin!

Larry

Last edited:
Last week I needed a new dimmer switch for my '75 CJ5. Seems like an easy enough item, how many decades were they essentially the same? The gal, and she's a fairly good parts person, could NOT figure out what I was talking about. I tried to explain it to her, she was a total blank. Luckily an older parts guy wandered by and knew exactly what I needed. ..... Man a dimmer switch, you know the one on the floor, you mash it with your foot, ... no it's not on the column ..... Times have changed.

Larry, you couldn't have said I any better. My Wagon is a Frankenstein of parts. IH Scout axles & part of the steering. Rancho suspension. Chevy drivetrain and the rest of the steering. Cadillac interior. Scout/Chevy brakes. On & on the list goes. It has an assigned title from TX DMV saying it is a '62. Don't think so. I made a bible for it with part numbers and what vehicle it goes to just to make it easier to order parts. The '59 Truck is all stock except the Chevy drivetrain, not too bad but I'm going to start a bible for it after last weeks' part search. I've got 2 workers at the nearby O'Reallys that are about my age and are true Gearheads. They ask which one I'm working on and do I have a part number for what I need. Thank God, they both save me so much agravation. I still have to deal with the automotive geniuses when they are off work, like last week I needed a water pump. Teenage Asssistant Manager helps me. Water pump for a '78 Chevy 1/2 ton. No A/C or electric windows. Sir, let's start from the beginning. What year, make, & model? Aaaaarrrrggh!!! 1959 Willys Truck. Sir that is not coming up in our system

The kid at the counter at O'Reilly's started down the year-make-model path last weekend when I stopped in to ask about a center bolt for the leaf springs on my wagon. I stopped him and said, "No, that won't help. If you have them, they'll be in a bin someplace behind the counter, or maybe on a card someplace with other spring stuff down one of the aisles."

It was clear he had no idea what I was talking about. So he said, "Well, let's just try it. What's the year, make and model?" So I told him. He looked it up and said, "We don't have any of those but we could get some in about 10 days."

Neither NAPA nor Autozone had them either.

Mind you, I live just a few miles from the famous Rubicon jeep trail, so the area is crawling with jeeps.

What is this world coming to?

Another story, this time involving NAPA.

They're the only ones in town that sometimes stock 80-90W GL-4 gear oil, but usually they're out, which tells you people are buying it and leaving their shelves bare, so you'd think they would order more so they could sell more. But no, that hasn't occurred to them.

Finding it's place on the shelf empty once again, I approached the counter to ask a 50-ish looking guy, "Alex," if they had any more in the back. No, he didn't think so. Then I asked if he could order some for me, which they have done successfully in the past. He then commenced arguing with me that GL-4 had been superseded by GL-5 and wasn't available anymore.

I explained that that wasn't the case, but wasn't having it. He even took a cursory look in a "fluids and chemicals" book he had under the counter, and, not seeing it there, declared himself right about it not being available.

"Fine," I said, "I'll just get it online." He shrugged.

I happened to be back in there a couple of days later for something else, and an old scarecrow of a guy who had helped me get some before was behind the counter. I asked him if they could get some, making s point to mention that "Alex" hadn't been able to help me. The old guy looked on the computer and said, "This says we have 6 gallons of it."

Sure enough, they did, and I bought 2.

I went to my usual Parts store 2 days ago just for the fun. Ha. Ha.

Walked in and sized up the counter help and took deep breath and saw that my helpful manager was finishing up with a customer.
The manager is savvy to my pickup truck needs/requests.

Young counter fellow asked if he could help me. I said I'll wait for the Mgr.

The young counter fellow asked again, what do I need?

OK, here I said as I set on the counter my O2 sensor with attached wiring. I said look at the numbers on the sensor and tell me if you have one in the store. Nope we don't have it.

Manger came up and I told him it is a Bosh O2 sensor. Manager then called the Bosh help number and gave Bosh the Numbers on the sensor.
Bosh said they had to call the Mgr. back with a cross reference part #. The return call will be within the hour. Well that is helpful.

So while I was there I needed to buy an oil filter and oil for my Jeep GC. Took all of 10 minutes.

RING, RING, Bosh here with a Part #. Yeppy...

Manager said it must be special ordered from Salt Lake City, NV. delivery time is 7-10 days to the store. Cost plus shipping chg.

Manager gave me the new part # and said maybe I could fine it at another store.

I said thanks and went home and ordered it online. $30 less cost until I chose 2 day delivery.
After placing the order online thinking it will be in my hands this Sunday. Wrong, it will not ship until Monday and be delivered on Wednesday. Owell, $10 savings overall but faster delivery.

That's the way it is now days.

At least I can enjoy another cold brew.

Cheers, Thomas :cheers:

Last edited:
Another story, this time involving NAPA.

They're the only ones in town that sometimes stock 80-90W GL-4 gear oil, but usually they're out, which tells you people are buying it and leaving their shelves bare, so you'd think they would order more so they could sell more. But no, that hasn't occurred to them.

Finding it's place on the shelf empty once again, I approached the counter to ask a 50-ish looking guy, "Alex," if they had any more in the back. No, he didn't think so. Then I asked if he could order some for me, which they have done successfully in the past. He then commenced arguing with me that GL-4 had been superseded by GL-5 and wasn't available anymore.

I explained that that wasn't the case, but wasn't having it. He even took a cursory look in a "fluids and chemicals" book he had under the counter, and, not seeing it there, declared himself right about it not being available.

"Fine," I said, "I'll just get it online." He shrugged.

I happened to be back in there a couple of days later for something else, and an old scarecrow of a guy who had helped me get some before was behind the counter. I asked him if they could get some, making s point to mention that "Alex" hadn't been able to help me. The old guy looked on the computer and said, "This says we have 6 gallons of it."

Sure enough, they did, and I bought 2.

GL-4 is no longer made and thus unavailable..?? ..OHH ...the Fruck it ISN'T ...!!

Hell i just went through that same Horseshite story not more than a year ago when i replaced the 5spd Tranny in my DD 01 Nissan Frontier...when i lost all gears and could not even shift into first or any gear....so out it came and hunt was on for a very rare 4 cyl engine...replacement tranny.

so when it was time to fill the tranny up with new fluid ....the FSM the the Tranny rebuilders ....Nissan Factory direct site ...everywhere i could think of looking all told me that those particular trannys specifically use the GL-4 only....reason bieng is that that and other similar trannys use brass syncros and gearing ... if you put anything with GL-5 in it ...you will ultimatley destroy the tranny internally .....Why..?? because GL-5 has sulfur in it and that will eat away, disintergrate, and destroy any and all brass internal parts...!!!

SO off...i went to O Really looking for it ....not seeing it i asked for it directly and was promptly told by ...18 year old tattooed part counter kid ....Uh no we dont got straight GL-4 we have this stuff that is GL4/5 compatible it is same stuff it will be ok.

then i went home sat down at computer and did my research on the GL-4/5 compatibilty statement.....NOOPE..!! NO Dice ...for exact reason stated above..!!

must be straight GL-4 ...i was also told it was not made anymore you have to use this GL-4/5 that is all you will ever find ...thats why it was made.....(the Fruck it was..!!)
so after few minutes searching i found that yes it sure as Hell was still made and available....so after several calls knowing that LAPS was not going to have it ...i finally found a place here in town that actually carried the Damn stuff ...called them up ...hey you actually got this on hand.?.....yeah sure we got a case on the shelf... ....Great..!! see you in 10 mins ..!! went down there ....what do i see..??...OH whats this ....Redline GL-4.jpg....sure as Hell looks like the stuff thats not made anymore...!!...yes this Shiet is expensive..!!! at $18 Frucking dollars a quart....X 4 ...!! .. near same Damned price online ...i needed it right now this second to get my truck back on the road driving so i could go to work.

now we have a 1954 Dodge Power Wagon sitting in the garage......wonder what kind of gear oil goes in the front and rear diffs..??.....3 guesses first two dont count..!!! Well Helll... at least i know where to get the Damned stuff..!! was sooo Pissed off and Frucking tempted to drive back to LAPS and throw it at them....so tell me just what the Fruck is this then..??...a imaginary bottle of OOP oil .....a figment of my imagination..?? anybody that says otherwise, its not made.. unavailable.. has their head up their ass!!

Larry

Larry, you couldn't have said I any better. My Wagon is a Frankenstein of parts. IH Scout axles & part of the steering. Rancho suspension. Chevy drivetrain and the rest of the steering. Cadillac interior. Scout/Chevy brakes. On & on the list goes. It has an assigned title from TX DMV saying it is a '62. Don't think so. I made a bible for it with part numbers and what vehicle it goes to just to make it easier to order parts. The '59 Truck is all stock except the Chevy drivetrain, not too bad but I'm going to start a bible for it after last weeks' part search. I've got 2 workers at the nearby O'Reallys that are about my age and are true Gearheads. They ask which one I'm working on and do I have a part number for what I need. Thank God, they both save me so much agravation. I still have to deal with the automotive geniuses when they are off work, like last week I needed a water pump. Teenage Asssistant Manager helps me. Water pump for a '78 Chevy 1/2 ton. No A/C or electric windows. Sir, let's start from the beginning. What year, make, & model? Aaaaarrrrggh!!! 1959 Willys Truck. Sir that is not coming up in our system

Oh Hell i know...every time i go into O Really or Vatozone i am met with same feedback loop ..... What year, make, & model?...*%$#@!*%#@!......Aaaaarrrrggh!!! 1951 Willys Truck.... Sir that is not coming up in our system.....YA THINK..?? ..i just frucking told you that..!!

( ..To all you 17-19 year old.. tattooed ..saggin.. baggin ..parts counter kids nationwide ....who dont know SH!T bout SH!T..!! and pull up your pants..!!..here is My preferred response .....Boot To The Head.jpg......So now instead of telling them WHAT its going into ...i simply tell them WHAT is powering it...i need this type of part ...for a 95 chevy K1500 5.7 350 TBI 4x4..!! usually take part with me if applicable along with printout copy of said part with brand name and part #...here get me one of these ....then i can compare old/new ....if right ...am gone ....if wrong ...(..BTTH..!!..see above ).... try it again till its right.

Larry

Hey Carter

If all you need is a center bolt for your spring pack .... Yes they do make spring pack Center bolts but you don't have to use one.... after all a bolt is a bolt right..??....you might do as I done which is go to your local hardware store spend a buck or so for a proper length grade 8 bolt and Nylock nut.
You might have to knock the diameter of the head of the bolt down in order to get it to fit in the hole in the spring perch ... no big deal...bolt it up all done for couple bucks instead of $20 for specialty spring pack center bolts.....
Oh no..!!!....if you don't use our expensive special spring pack Center bolts..... You might kill somebody when the inferior grade 8 bolt breaks..!! ...Yeah right Pal..!! nice try screwing me out of 20 bucks for you prestigious bolts.

Larry

A pair of proper Rancho center bolts from Amazon runs about $10.

Also, you can get a gallon of GL-4 80-90W Sta-Lube gear oil for about $24.

For whatever it's worth....For pickups and autos that have leaf springs, if I need spring center bolts I just look for the orange
Dorman display drawers in my local auto parts store... The bolts come in 3/8", 7/16" and 1/2" x 12" long... You cut them to
length after installed in spring pack.. I've been buying these for 50 years..

Back