Jul 4, 2017
Oklahoma
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1946
New to the forum & have a '46 CJ2A that i have been replacing fluids. Anyway drained the T-90 transmission and according to mechanics manual it requires SAE 90 gear oil. Apparently, nobody locally carries that, so is there another option that doesn't have any additives that could damage the brass parts? Thanks for the help.

Joe

GL-1. Napa has it. Safe for the T-90.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's it.
24bc09e5daa94873a3873ac8eeee5076.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Great! Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The worst oil available today is far superior to the best oil available when these Jeeps were built. Plenty of GL-5 spec modern 75-90 synthetics are "yellow metal safe" and have been for years, any GL-4 will be. When in doubt read the label. Also, the synchro rings in a T-90 will wear out long before corrosion from any oil will be a factor. Kinda like zinc in the oil, if you believe all the marketing hype your Jeep will die without it (although no Jeep had zinc in it's oil during WW2).

Having no oil in a gearbox is infinately worse than oil that isn't quite right. Unless you are running positraction, or an Indycar, gear oil is gear oil. It does gears, roller and tapered bearings.
diggerG

Back