Apr 30, 2017
MD
First Name
Luke
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
Hi all, my name is Luke. I've had a '92 YJ for quite a while, it's built a bit for rock crawling but is still streetable.

I'm seriously considering buying a 55 pickup project. I don't know much about it so any advice for things to look at would be appreciated. It has been sitting for years but the frame looks solid and the body isn't too bad. Probably needs cab corners but I think the floors are ok. I know it has a small block Chevy. Supposedly it ran when the interior was disassembled. I'm told it's a 350 crate engine but who knows. It's automatic but I don't know what trans. Axles look period if not original.

It's a big project but I've been saying for a long time that I want to do something like this. I recently did a partial restoration on my 96 Chevy K2500 to repair some rust and preserve it for a while. This would be much bigger but could be fun. What do you think?
KIMG1136.jpg

Hey Luke, welcome to the forum. I bought my 51 pickup in 1981 and the plan was to drive it as it was. I was 21 and raising two girls, so the funds and time were in short supply. It was totally stock, except for the engine. The PO put in a nice 289 and top speed, about 45 mph, while maybe ok for the farm, didn't fit the bill for modern highways. Long story short, I tinkered with it on and off, but honestly, parked it for about 30 years. Thought alot about what I wanted to do with it during that time and after my girls graduated from college I finally started working on it again and have had so much fun. It actually turned into my retirement project:] These things aren't cheap to build, but the enjoyment and satisfaction you will get from it is totally worth every penny. So, I say go for it.

That's cool. I have a lot of thoughts but most of them center on preserving it from deteriorating further and getting it running reliably, fixing any safety issues, and having fun with it. I think it is priced right for what it is, so it's pretty likely I'll go for it.

Welcome from Colorado, Luke. I have a 63 Wagon that's mainly my Plow Truck. I Also have a 57 Willys Pickup. We did a complete Late Model Chevy 4X4 Chassis Conversion. Since then, We moved the Front Axle forward some more, did a Cab Extension, and my Son in Law and I have been working for over a year switching over to One Ton Axles and many other things with it. It is Getting very near Done. (not really)! Have fun with your Project and Post Pictures along the way. Pivnic

Last edited:
Thanks Pivnic, your trucks look great. I'd love to get out to Moab some day.

I'm curious, are the cab roof lights and mirrors original on this truck? Did those come with the flat bad? I have a lot to learn about the history of these trucks...

Thanks Pivnic, your trucks look great. I'd love to get out to Moab some day. I'm curious, are the cab roof lights and mirrors original on this truck? Did those come with the flat bad? I have a lot to learn about the history of these trucks...

Hello Luke. I don't think the cab roof lights came from the factory, Not sure about the Mirrors either. These may have been a "Dealer" Option. My Willys Pickup didn't have cab roof lights Nor those Mirrors. I think you could order your Willys with a Flat Bed, but not positive. Someone on this forum will know the answers. Take lots of pics and post them of your Willys Restoration. Pivnic

Welcome to the forum.
From the looks of the front axle placement, I'm guessing that the cab was swapped onto a Chevy frame...

Pete

Interesting, I'll try to get some pictures of the frame, maybe someone can tell me what I'm looking at. I know the fuel tank was replaced and the mounting is kinda crude. Didn't think of it at the time, but that could be an indication...

I was looking at some of the pictures from 56STK on this thread. I haven't looked very closely, but I did notice that the bed on the one I'm looking at is supported by wood like the one in the pictures. I'm not sure that that's indicative of anything but it seems fairly unusual and if that's how they did it at the factory, maybe it is the original frame? Either way I'll try to get more pictures.

Edit: This is the only other shot I have but it's a better shot of the frame. (You can also see my YJ a little in the background). I see what you mean about the front axle though, I hadn't noticed how far back it is. Does this help at all?

KIMG1371.jpg

Last edited:
From looking at other pictures on the forum, the front shock placement is making me think Pete may be right. Seems like originally the shocks were in front of the axle. Is there a Chevy frame that is typically used for this type of swap? Is this a plus or a minus for this truck? It seems like a lot of people do frame swaps but I'm not sure I really want to get into something that's already a mishmash. I'd appreciate any feedback or recommendations.

From looking at other pictures on the forum, the front shock placement is making me think Pete may be right. Seems like originally the shocks were in front of the axle. Is there a Chevy frame that is typically used for this type of swap? Is this a plus or a minus for this truck? It seems like a lot of people do frame swaps but I'm not sure I really want to get into something that's already a mishmash. I'd appreciate any feedback or recommendations.

Here's a shot of a stock frame, axle, and steering.
7a1d3d4f0a9b5aedcd26904441cf4a87.jpg

Lots of folks do Chevy K5 frame swaps, and usually wind up moving the axle forward to get it centered in the opening. It's not a bad swap, assuming it was done well...

Pete

Awesome, I'm fairly certain it is not that frame. I'll post more pics when I get them. Thanks!

Well, no longer "potential"... I pulled the trigger. I'm still a bit intimidated, this is definitely the biggest project I've undertaken. Current plan is to get it running to make sure the engine and trans are worth keeping, then strip it down, fix myriad issues, and make it a nice, reliable, comfortable driver. I don't think I want to lift it or do anything crazy. I'm expecting a couple years of work, and I hope you all are ready for some questions because I'm going to have a lot!
KIMG1465.jpg

Last edited:
Back