May 16, 2016
Cullman, Al.
First Name
Winston
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
Ok...been meaning to do this for a while, but time has been short lately, so just been
loading pictures to do this at a later date. I am humbled and amazed at the goodwill
on this site, and makes me proud to be here among many who know much more than
I, but are gracious in sharing their knowledge and time. Might take me some time to
get to the end of this Beast, as I am not a master mechanic by any means, and have
much to learn. But with the help of the minions here, believe anything is possible. I have
to give a shout out to a new friend here, who has helped me more than I can say, as well
as several others who have inspired me to take this journey/sickness..haha. Willys57/Greg lile,
your mad machining skills and knowledge, and kindness give me hope for mankind.
Sooooo....here goes nothing! Going to just post some of the original photos of the truck when
I first received it from Montana. Got some body work to do...few dings and dents here
and there, but all in all, the metal is in pretty good shape, with little rust. Just going to go
through the main systems on the truck, to make sure all the brakes, tranny, and motor are
running well, and in new condition, as will be using this as a daily driver. My main goal is not
to do a total restoration for now, but make it a sound daily driver, while keeping it as original
as possible. These trucks are unique, and is nothing out there like them....sure, you see lots
of old Fords & Chevy's, but will get a lot more looks from one of these anyday!
Will post new pics and update as I can.

61 Willys.jpg20161027_105335.jpgBumper & fitted skirt.jpgengine.jpginterior.jpg

These are pics of the truck the first day I received it. Is fairly clean, but has many dings on
the fenders, and the rear bumper looked like it had been used in a demolition derby. Took bumper off
and am not going to reuse, if anyone is interested in it, will gladly give it up. Don't like the looks
of the commercial city truck look, going to use something a little thinner, that still shows the lines of
the truck. Love the lines in the back of the truck, hate to hide them with a big klunky bumper. The truck
has only 47,000 original miles on it, and motor and tranny seem in good shape. The owner before me
had put in bucket seats, but yanked those out as he had the original bench seat that was already covered
with new med. brown vinyl, with matching door panels, and arm rest. Will be putting those back in, as
love a good bench seat. Have already done a few things to the truck, but will post those in order later this evening.
So begins the journey of the rebuild of my 1961 Willys truck, and all my money, spare time, and skin
on my knuckles.

Winston

Last edited:
Nice intro., welcome ! My 61 wagon has the same color as yours when you first got it, patina included. It looks exactly the same. I'd post a picture but Photo bucket is holding my pics. for ransom and I don't know how to post pics. any more.

I would not change much at all. Get it mechanically sound and maybe find the stock seats.

I watched that truck and know it is a good one to start with. Congrats. Glad it went to a good home. The Bitterroot is a pretty dry valley so it should be pretty rust free. Im sure its been on its share of four wheel drive hunting and camping expeditions. Good luck and I'll be looking for your posts.
Lew

The truck looks great! Especially the the steering column!! Lol....Keep up the good work! You are right. You don't see many if any Willys pick ups running around town. I can't wait to get mine on the road, too!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks Gary.....got a lot to do, but will get there eventually. I know I'm in the right place to get it done,
with all the help have already gotten here. I think for now, am going to keep the patina finish, and maybe
get a gallon of paint to match the color, kind of reminds me of a claypot...kind of a brownish orange. But
got some dents on the fenders to fix, then will prime and paint to match, then shoot several clear coats
over what is there. When I got it, had a ton of gunk underneath, which looked like a combo of mud & grease,
all over the tranny and running gear. Spent a whole afternoon just getting off the underside of motor and
running gear. Going to pull the steering column out with the Ross steering box, rebuild it, and put on new/old
tube, since the one have now is cracked, and suspect was from excessive impacts, as bumper looked like a
demo derby special. once that is done, will get to the brakes, and probably do a rebuild kit on all 4 wheels.

Ross rebuild bearings.jpgRoss steering box1.jpgRoss steering box2.jpg

Going to also put back original bench seat, that is newly covered and has all new foam and is completely

rebuilt, with matching door panels and arm rest.

Test fit bench.jpg

Will post some more pics, once get into the steering box, will see how much wear is in there. Have about 3"
of play right now at the wheel, but haven't tried adjusting the screw to tighten. But figured since it is coming
out, might as well rebuild it for the little bit the parts cost. Will get some pics of that, once I open the lid on it.

Winston

So getting ready to pull the bed, so can strip and weld and paint it, and also get to the old gas tank, so can replace with a new plastic one. Got new fuel lines from Walck's, and must say, there prices are hard to beat for a complete prebent line with fittings for about $130. Here are some pics of the sides with the skirts off, frame is pretty clean, just some surface rust. Will wire brush it, and then derust it, then prime and paint it nice semi gloss black. Will get some pics of the tank going in.

20170801_132429.jpg20170801_132503.jpg20170801_132520.jpg20170801_132557.jpg20170801_132738.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so looks like Christmas came early. Got boxes of parts everywhere. Fedex & UPS came today...new plastic gas tank, and all kinds of small parts. New front exhaust pipe, new sending unit with brass float, new radiator hoses, new thermostat, néw motor mounts...yada yada. Well, since my broken foot is healing, don't have any excuses anymore...just need to get my rear out there and get to cranking.
20170801_155019.jpg20170801_155114.jpg20170801_163210.jpg

Just a suggestion, but you might want to use some kind of gasket sealer when you put the sending unit in. The screws and cork gasket are NOT enough to keep the gas from pouring out everywhere when you top off the tank.

Don't ask me how i know that.

Sounds like a good idea, will do that, as I had thought about using a sealer anyway. Anyone have any suggestions on if I should do a vent tube on the plastic tank? It has the extra tube spout for it, but am using a vented cap...so any thoughts on if it's necessary to add the vent line?

Winston

Winston,

First I have to say nice pickup looks to be in real good shape. Second I am new to the site and I have to say there is so much info and projects to get knowledge from. The wife and I will be starting our journey also we just purchased a 1952. So I'll be watching for your updates on you project best of luck to you.

Kevin...thanks! Much to do on the old boy, but it's in fairly good shape. You have come to the right place if you have a Willys. The people here are unbelievable in giving their time and info. to help a fellow Willys enthusiast. I am no master mechanic, but anytime I have a question, the fellows here all jump in and send pictures and info. There is no finer bunch to help you with your build than the fellows here. If you need anything...just ask, and you will get all the help you need. Post some pics of your rig when you get going, we all learn and get ideas from each other. Good luck with your truck...there is nothing like them out there.

Winston

So, today, finally had time to get back out on the truck. Got all bolt out that were holding the bed, then took off the spare tire, and made sure all was unhooked. Tomorrow will pull it off, and set on portable table made to set it on, and work off of for the truck. Will start pulling old tank, and start preparing to install new plastic one. Will add new photos as I go on that. Going to also derust the frame, and prime and paint it....so will be nice and shiny, before I go out and get it dirty again.

Winston

received_1592024854183663.jpg received_1592024850850330.jpg

Finally got the bed off this morning. Had a friend help lift it onto the specially made table with castors on the bottom. Going to start cleaning frame, and wire brushing any loose rust, then treat frame with rust solvent. Then will prime and paint frame before installing new tank. Frame is not to bad, mostly just surface rust....could be worse after 50 something years. Bed is being taken to be blasted later this week, and will then prime and paint it. Tailgate is to far gone to save, so will buy new one from Walcks, and prime and paint also.

Winston
20170817_160919.jpg20170817_160935.jpg20170817_151040.jpg20170817_151004.jpg20170817_151017.jpg20170817_151054.jpg20170817_150949.jpg

Last edited:
Back