62 Wagon converted to 4.3 Vortec.

Really looking forward to following this. I've wondered about the various Chevy 4.3L Vortecs over the years and whether or not a certain year was "better." Also wondered about the pros and cons of installing a 4.3 Vortex V6 versus the smallest 4.8L GMV8. Just thinking outloud; need to spend some time using the search box and Google. In any case, awesome!
The 4.3 is best for better mileage, and has plenty of daily driving power. But unless you change transmission and transfer case, want ever be able to obtain upper speeds at lower rpm's. I would highly recommend you talk to the guys at Novak adapters. These guys specialize in drivetrain adapters and builds for jeeps. All they do, and know their stuff. Have spent much time on the phone with them. They make an adapter, that will bolt from the 4.3 or chevy V8, that will bolt right up to the T 90 tranny. I am thinking about this route also for daily driving. I just haven't been able bring myself to do this to an all original truck. It's one we all have to decide, if we want an all original truck to putt around town on, or a classic truck, that we can use as a daily driver, that we can actually use? It's a tough choice. These trucks are getting more and more rare in original condition. And I would probably never restomod my truck. Trying to see if I can find a good frame and body somewhere I can build as a restomod for daily driving, and keep my truck in its original condition. But anyone thinking about changing out their motor, would highly recommend thr guys at Novak. They know their stuff, and have been changing motors and components in jeeps for a long time. My perfect setup, would be the 4.3 chevy V6, with an AX15 transmission, and a Dana 300 transfer case. All 3 of these are bomb proof, and Novak offers rebuilt AX15's with upgraded parts, and rebuild all transmissions, and transfer cases with better parts, including the T18, and T90.

Winston

I took the plunge and ordered all necessary parts for my 4.3 conversion. I will post as many pics and FYI's as I can through this process. My 226 is just not strong enough to pull my Scotty trailer without damaging my engine.

B
Want to follow your progress, going to do this also. Hope you talked to and got your parts from Novak? They know their stuff, and make an adapter that bolts right to the T90. They have more info. on Conversions than anyone out there.

Winston

Want to follow your progress, going to do this also. Hope you talked to and got your parts from Novak? They know their stuff, and make an adapter that bolts right to the T90. They have more info. on Conversions than anyone out there.

Winston
Thread is from 2017, last time he was on was 2021. But if he has email enabled might get a notification.

Back