Dec 9, 2016
Vermont
First Name
Dave
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
My ross steering box is shot and not a candidate for rebuild. Although I run stock rubber and ps is not really necessary I have most of the parts I need to convert it except for the pump. They are relatively cheap and plentiful so that will not be a problem. My problem is coming up with a simple way to mount the pump on my f-134. I have considered using a electric pump but really don't know what to look for. If anyone has pictures so a simple belt driven pump mount or a electric setup I would love to see them. Thanks

Simply put, weld a bracket up to mount the pump on the engine. figure out a double pulley arrangement. line the pump to the extra pulley. Get the right size belt. If you don't have the knowledge then a mechanic / welder nearby will.
In the past I have actually welded an old pulley onto a water pump pulley to add power steering. measure carefully, and weld it good. Then line up your pump. Make the bracket adjustable.
diggerG

got plenty of pulleys, already a double on the crank and alternator I'm just having a time trying to figure where to bolt it to not interfere with something else. I think I could build off the oil filter bracket and just run a short belt to the double on the alternator. For as much spare room as there is under the hood the front of the little hurricane sure is cluttered up, oil lines, gas line, radiator hose, and heater all come into play. I traded some stuff for a complete column and steering box out of a TJ I'm hoping that the steering shaft angle will allow me to go over the front cross member rather than through it. Haven't gone to get it yet so I have not been able to play with it. Found a wiring diagram for the column so with any luck I can wire my lights, ignition, turn signals, and wipers into it. Not sure what to do with the air bag LOL.

probably the best spot it just use head bolts for attachment. Not sure hose length makes much difference. If it would not turn it the wrong direction I would direct drive it off the crank shaft and put the pump rite beside the steering box.

Back