Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: July 25 - Likely Air-Date for FantomWorks' 1963 Willys-Jeep Fleetvan Restoration

Gear Grinder
    First Name
    Lynn
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    I recorded it and watched it this morning. I can't imagine what it costs, but it's definitely one to keep. I like the color scheme. It's great that they could rebuild the steering gear. Congratulations on a great truck.

2. Likes FleetVan liked this post
    First Name
    Ron
    Year
    Model
    FC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dahreno View Post
    I saw it, nice ride. What are you going to do with it ?
    Because it's such a "looker" and will draw people in, we're going to offer it for and attend non-profit fundraisers, fundraiser car shows, etc. An example is this Friday our local propane supplier is having a classic/antique cruise-in fundraiser for Meals-on-Wheels and (weather depending) we'll be there. I'm not much on regular car shows but will definitely go to Willys and Jeep shows like the Southeast Willys Jeep Get Together in October and the HUGE Bantam Jeep festival in Butler PA next June.

4. Likes scramboleer liked this post
    First Name
    Bill
    Year
    Model
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ron

Finally got to watch it. Very informative. Had no idea there were quirky parts to an fj. Thought they were pretty much Cj5.

Bill

First Name
    Ron
    Year
    Model
    FC
    Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest quirk was the steering box. See the pic below from this link http://cj3b.info/Siblings/Fleetvan.html.

FleetvanDJ400.gif

The box is unique to fleetvans (orientation, configuration, mounting, etc) and the RHD and LHD aren't interchangeable. Dan bought two rebuilt boxes and (even after explaining and sending pics to the Kaiser/Willys/Jeep supply houses what we had) they shipped a box for a RHD FJ and then for a LHD CJ5. We finally crossed our fingers and shipped out ours for rebuild. As shown in the episode, what they returned arrived damaged and had to be disassembled and repaired.

We likely could have found another Jeep brake assembly but I'm actually happy going with the 85 Ford Ranger brakes in the front. In future years it may be easier to replace those parts. The original rear brakes won't wear out in my lifetime and if they do and parts are scarce we'll just retrofit the Fords. Someone messaged me on another forum and said he was also aware of the Ford brake swap so it must not be an uncommon mod.

Bigger Hammer
    First Name
    Edsel
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well another time I find Direct TV useless. They do not offer it in my area.
    If anyone made or can make a copy I would love to see this finished project. I have followed it since Cherryville, NC
    Mine has made no real progress but I hope to get back after it soon.