July 25 - Likely Air-Date for FantomWorks' 1963 Willys-Jeep Fleetvan Restoration

FleetVan

Bigger Hammer
Oct 21, 2016
Asheville, NC
First Name
Ron
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
Hi All -

We just returned from Norfolk where we filmed "the reveal" of our 1963 Willys-Jeep Fleetvan restoration project at FantomWorks. The likely air-date for that episode is Tuesday, July 25, at 9pm ET. If that changes I'll let you know.

We're under nondisclosure so I can't say anything until the episode airs other than she came out looking really great. Better than we expected and oh, so, era appropriate!

New episodes are airing, now, Tuesdays at 9pm on Velocity channel. For more info: www.velocity.com/tv-shows/fantomworks .

I'll also post updates on Facebook at www.facebook.com/fleetvan .

Set your DVRs!

Fun Stuff!
Ron

no-peeking-sign.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone watched (or recorded) last night's episode of FantomWorks, "Beauty and the Bee", there's a glimpse of our fleetvan at the 39 minute mark. When Dan is rolling in the tires, our fleetvan is on the right - in all its primer glory! Getting close! Couple more weeks to our air date.

If you missed it check your guide. Velocity usually re-airs new episodes multiple times throughout the week.

I just learned the name of the episode will be "Fantomworks Goes Postal" but there's some confusion if the air-date will be July 25 or August 1. More as I learn it.
Yes, I (and Dan) know our fleetvan is a LHD FJ3A and most likely wasn't a Postal truck - but it is a TV show so the producers took some literary license to make a fun title. I'm guessing Dan will make some reference to the fact that many Willys-Jeep fleetvans were postal vehicles.

One week to go! Confirmed for next Tuesday, July 25, 9pm.
"FANTOMWORKS GOES POSTAL"
"Ron & Valerie want Dan to restore their 1963 Jeep Willy's [sic] Fleetvan, but the problems run deeper than the seams hidden beneath inches of filler."

Capture.jpg

https://www.velocity.com/schedule

Got my DVR set to record. That is one show I make a point to record. They cover everything and not just fast cars like every other show. They did an M38 last year and actually fixed all the oil leaks.

Bill

A lot went into making the Fleetvan a better than new vehicle. Something to be very proud of.

I saw it, nice ride. What are you going to do with it ?

I recorded it and watched it this morning. I can't imagine what it costs, but it's definitely one to keep. I like the color scheme. It's great that they could rebuild the steering gear. Congratulations on a great truck.

I saw it, nice ride. What are you going to do with it ?

Because it's such a "looker" and will draw people in, we're going to offer it for and attend non-profit fundraisers, fundraiser car shows, etc. An example is this Friday our local propane supplier is having a classic/antique cruise-in fundraiser for Meals-on-Wheels and (weather depending) we'll be there. I'm not much on regular car shows but will definitely go to Willys and Jeep shows like the Southeast Willys Jeep Get Together in October and the HUGE Bantam Jeep festival in Butler PA next June.

Ron

Finally got to watch it. Very informative. Had no idea there were quirky parts to an fj. Thought they were pretty much Cj5.

Bill

The biggest quirk was the steering box. See the pic below from this link http://cj3b.info/Siblings/Fleetvan.html.

FleetvanDJ400.gif

The box is unique to fleetvans (orientation, configuration, mounting, etc) and the RHD and LHD aren't interchangeable. Dan bought two rebuilt boxes and (even after explaining and sending pics to the Kaiser/Willys/Jeep supply houses what we had) they shipped a box for a RHD FJ and then for a LHD CJ5. We finally crossed our fingers and shipped out ours for rebuild. As shown in the episode, what they returned arrived damaged and had to be disassembled and repaired.

We likely could have found another Jeep brake assembly but I'm actually happy going with the 85 Ford Ranger brakes in the front. In future years it may be easier to replace those parts. The original rear brakes won't wear out in my lifetime and if they do and parts are scarce we'll just retrofit the Fords. Someone messaged me on another forum and said he was also aware of the Ford brake swap so it must not be an uncommon mod.

Well another time I find Direct TV useless. They do not offer it in my area.
If anyone made or can make a copy I would love to see this finished project. I have followed it since Cherryville, NC
Mine has made no real progress but I hope to get back after it soon.

Back