So.... No guts no Glory? or just plain stupid?

second_floor_lo

Sharpest Tool
Sep 27, 2013
North Carolina
First Name
Paul
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
I've not put any really long miles on my truck yet. Still fiddling with it to get things done...Small things mostly. Interior, spare tire mount... Mostly having a good time wasting time. But the list is running out and it's getting to the time to put up or shut up.

In the next week of two I'm going for a 75 mile trip each way. Assuming that I complete that, I'm starting to think more or less seriously about driving across country. (2900 miles) I know it's been done at least once by a member here but I wonder what the group thinks about this? Oh...Edit to say, Interstate driving is not going to happen. There's a limit to how brave I am...

So, throw caution to the wind and go for it? Or consider that discretion is the better part of valor and spend more time building trust in the truck?

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:
Hey Paul.I admire your sense of adventure, but I think I would put a few more miles on it to make sure you shake out any bugs that may be lurking. Also depends on how much time and money you're willing to wager on the old girl. I too, would like to make a long road trip to the Wrightwood Willys jeep day event at some point, but I will have updated technology to ease my fears:]

Last edited:
How many miles do you have on your rig? What all did you do to it and from what condition? grab a few bottles of oil and anything else you think you need for your safety blanket and go!!

I have been driving mine for maybe a little over two weeks and I am up to 850+ miles. I have done one oil change and I am getting ready to torque the head and all the other engine break in service stuff for 1000 miles. I am thinking I will be over 1000 miles by Sunday.

Drove my 63 Wagon from Washington State to Florida. Previous owner put a 350 SBC engine and auto transmission in it though.

Tell us more Bizshop. How did it go and would you do it again? Round trip or one way. Interested in all the details

I changed my 63 wagon into a Philippine Jeepney, and drove it to a USS White Plains reunion in Jacksonville. Problem the whole trip with overheating, which I have since resolved with a bigger new radiator and a better water pump. Trip was down the West Coast to San Diego and then East from there (through New Orleans, etc). Return trip was more a straight shot NW.

Very fun trip and I'd recommend just go for it, wherever you'd like to go. Friends all thought I was crazy since I essentially had built my own vehicle and just finished it a short time before the epic trip. Pictures are at facebook.com/jeepney or usjeepney.com. Since then, have driven it to Branson, Missouri twice, Minneapolis MN - in fact every state West of the Mississippi except N. Dakota.

Going back to Branson for Asia Sailor Westpacr Reunion in May and San Diego in June.

Attachments

• left-front-400x266.jpg
    left-front-400x266.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I changed my 63 wagon into a Philippine Jeepney, and drove it to a USS White Plains reunion in Jacksonville. Problem the whole trip with overheating, which I have since resolved with a bigger new radiator and a better water pump. Trip was down the West Coast to San Diego and then East from there (through New Orleans, etc). Return trip was more a straight shot NW.

Very fun trip and I'd recommend just go for it, wherever you'd like to go. Friends all thought I was crazy since I essentially had built my own vehicle and just finished it a short time before the epic trip. Pictures are at facebook.com/jeepney or usjeepney.com. Since then, have driven it to Branson, Missouri twice, Minneapolis MN - in fact every state West of the Mississippi except N. Dakota.

Going back to Branson for Asia Sailor Westpacr Reunion in May and San Diego in June.

Bizshop even dropped by OWF World Headquarters on his way through Idaho... Very cool to see his Jeepney in person.

If you are road tripping, be sure to put Idaho on your map, and swing by for a cold one.

Pete

Back