May 10, 2011
Rome, Italy
First Name
Anith
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1947
I came across an ad for the sale of this jeep which the documents show it as a Ford while the stamping at the rear of the jeep shows it as a Willys. It was first registered in Italy in 1947 and could be a left-over in Italy or Europe when the war ended.

It is said to be a 1943 model. It has an early type steering wheel.

Though the exterior has some minor alterations, the engine bay looks almost original. The seller claims the jeep was restored many years ago and stopped for many more but is running. I doubt if it can start easily now!

Anyway, I will travel to the south of Italy to check this jeep out and click more pix. My questions before that are:

When did Willys and Ford change the steering wheels to ones with steel spokes?
Does the engine bay look original?
The asking price is 13k euro (about 13.5 k USD). Considering the fact that it has Willys stamped at the rear and could need a lot of work on the engine, transmission, electrical, brakes, etc., what could be the max price I could offer?

Thanks guys, for your help!

Here are four pix of the jeep:

Attachments

• MB-GPW1.jpg
    MB-GPW1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 42
  • MB-GPW2.jpg
    MB-GPW2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 36
  • MB-GPW3.jpg
    MB-GPW3.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 35
  • MB-GPW4.jpg
    MB-GPW4.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 38
And here is the pix I forgot to attach...the one with Willys stamp at the rear!

Attachments

• MB-GPW 5.jpg
    MB-GPW 5.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 42
Anith
I can see that it is a Ford chassis with a Willys body. Either a motor pool rebuild or done with the restoration. That is a nice piece.
The steering wheel could have come from anywhere. And the engine bay looks original. I'd be curious if the head says WILLYS on it or not. Could be a GPW Ford engine and everything except the body. Does the seller have it running? If not buy it as is not running, get it home then start it. Save yourself a few thousand dollars.
diggerG

Back