Feb 28, 2017
Corbin
First Name
Jon
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
So I'm working on a 48 Jeepster, done a rewiring job with all new harness and everything. I'm down to having it completely finished except for the fuel gauge functioning like it should. With the key switch in the off position, the fuel gauge reads, key switch in acc position, the fuel gauge reads, but when I turn it over to ignition it just flutters down to E on the gauge.

I have grounded the fuel sending unit to the frame, the gauges are grounded as well. I have power coming from the fusebox through a gauge feed wire that is hot in the ACC and IGN position. Also, while in the IGN position my other gauges function properly, all except the fuel gauge which just drops to E.

Anybody have any thoughts? I'm about out of ideas as to why my fuel gauge functions in every key switch position except for the one it needs to.

Thanks,

Jon
1948 Jeepster

So, I've found the reason behind my gauges not functioning properly. Turns out that my coil wire is what's causing the power drain, the gauges will be working great, place the coil wire on whichever terminal that the key switch position is in and the gauges bottom out.

Why would a 6 volt coil be causing this much power drain. For clarification, I'm using a 12 volt battery with a ballast resistor inline between the battery and key switch.

Thanks for any help.

Jon Preston

Back