59 Wagon Project - Finally getting to it.

mobilecascade

Bigger Hammer
Jul 15, 2015
Olympia
First Name
Jimmy
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
First off, Hi Ya'll! First post and long time lurking.....

Picked up project last year that I traded for, and now the rain has stopped... you know what that means. So I have been searching and looking, but not finding much, and hoping all the big brains I've been reading here can help.

Picked up a '59 wagon from a coworker, sitting on a K5 Blazer frame. He had a book on the build, but cant find it, and now that he is retired, I am kinda on my own. If it were a CJ2A (sitting in the garage now) a CJ5 or CJ7...I could rattle off all the specs. But a re-chassis and being a Chevy, I'm at a loss.

First, I'm trying to determine what year era this running gear is, what axles we have, and if it has a lift. I really want to drop this thing down and narrow it up a bit. There's 4"-ish blocks in the rear, but wondering if that was stock then. Front is springs straight to axle. End tire size would be 35's. Duties for her would be calm digging at the beach, few camping trips up to the cascades, medium trails around here, momma taking her to work, and maybe TRY to get to the Willys Moab Rally in 2018.

Think any Chevy fans could ID and help us out? From there I can make a plan to keep, or just to re-chassis again onto a Waggy/Cherokee. Ultimate would be coils like on an LJ/extended TJ frame. But need to know what I am working with.

Thanks in advance for an insight!!!

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_1939.JPG
    IMG_1939.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1941.JPG
    IMG_1941.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1955.JPG
    IMG_1955.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1936.JPG
    IMG_1936.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1944.JPG
    IMG_1944.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1950.JPG
    IMG_1950.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 137
You have a stock Chevy K5 Blazer under your wagon. It looks to possibly be from the 70's. The front axle looks like a Dana 44. The rear axle is known as a 12 bolt. These axles are stock for the K5 and are considered 1/2 ton axles. They will handle 35" tires as long as your not climbing Volkswagon sized boulders and jumping it. The frame is much stronger then the stock Willys frame. BTW, I personally think trading the whole Blazer frame and drivetrain for a waggy or a Cherokee is a down grade, or at least just a parallel move. The steering is stock for the Blazer ( I like cross over steering better, they make great kits for the Blazer). The rear lift blocks under the springs are not stock but it looks like the Jeep is level. If you show us the inside we might be able to tell you what kind of tranny and 'case you have, or shoot some pics. from under the Jeep. My '61 wagon is on a 71 K5 Blazer and it was stock just like yours is and looked almost exactly like it frame and drive train wise. Mine didn't have lift blocks but came to me with 38" tires. Mine had a SM465 transmission which is a 4 speed manual, and an NP 208 transfer case. I have heavily modified it in the last five years and the only thing left on it Blazer wise is most of the frame and gas tank. Here I am last weekend having some fun. BTW, I would just make what you already have better !

Last edited:
I just bought a 1980 K-5 Blazer and your axles look the same as mine. The valve covers on the engine are later center bolt design, so it could be mid to late 80's with the fuel injection removed.

Dave

10 bolt on left with chrome
Dana 44 on right in black
f53506d4f31f489819bf05e2aaf9ac86.jpg
dd01f122377c229161b4ff27c62f7223.jpg

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Ahhh.... OK. I got a message back finally and you confirm... He thinks it was a 75 chassis. and a 1995 motor/tranny. Unfortunately it has a Hurst pull/click shifter in the center. I wish it was a stick...... So now to figure out the tranny/transfer case combo.. 3 speed I believe when we took the fam out to dinner awhile back. Guessing a TH350?

The blocks are a throw for me. Then I see the box tubing in between the front bump stop... so I'm leaning towards it has lift springs. I would LOVE to swap to a crossover and drag link gig like you have... way cleaner and easier for me to work on. Hell, if I could keep the rear leaf'd and the front sprung like yours with a 4 link, I would be pretty dang happy. I'm seeing a pair of lines down behind the linkage....hydraulic steer?

I don't mind the rear, and can bring out the rubber when I get new wheel/tire combo with offset. It's the front that kills me. 1) Wagon gets narrower going towards the bow and 2) the Blazer axle is has a wider track than the rear.

I did get a message from another that said they have JK axles avail. (D44? rear, dunno front) I know they'd be narrower, but 1) I think they are drivers side drop front, and don't see if they would be any beefier.

Ideas on Tranny/XFer combo? And THANK YOU for letting us pick your brain...

IMG_1958.JPGIMG_1959.JPGIMG_1962.JPGIMG_1963.JPGIMG_1964.JPG

I just bought a 1980 K-5 Blazer and your axles look the same as mine. The valve covers on the engine are later center bolt design, so it could be mid to late 80's with the fuel injection removed.

Dave

OK... That would make sense.... So not unheard of to take off the EFI/TBI and go with that Edelbrock intake and carb... (Why would be my next question, but that for later.)

IMG_1953.JPG

10 bolt on left with chrome
Dana 44 on right in black
f53506d4f31f489819bf05e2aaf9ac86.jpg
dd01f122377c229161b4ff27c62f7223.jpg

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Hmmmm.... So with the fill plug... Think a 44? It's not quite the 44 shape I'm used to in the CJ's... but then it's not "round" either like your pic of the 10 bolt......

IMG_1967.JPGIMG_1968.JPG

Last edited:
Just took another look.... You info says Reno.... but that sure looks like Naches here in Washington. The terrain just looks similar to where we go in the CJ's... That flex tho! from a Wagon!

Welcome from Colorado, Jimmy, The K5 Chassis Swap is popular with the Willys Wagon. Very close to same Wheel Base too. I have a 57 Willys Pickup and I did a 87 Chevy 4x4 short bed, regular Cab Chassis Swap. Love it. Made a few other big Mods later. Like move front axle forward some more, Cab Extension, and currently doing a One Ton Axle Project etc... Your chassis conversion is good. If if didn't come with TBI, then it's older than 1987, as 87 was first year for TBI. Check out what you have and ask more questions. Others on here have that combo and will help you. You're on the right track. Pivnic

Welcome from Colorado, Jimmy, The K5 Chassis Swap is popular with the Willys Wagon. Very close to same Wheel Base too. I have a 57 Willys Pickup and I did a 87 Chevy 4x4 short bed, regular Cab Chassis Swap. Love it. Made a few other big Mods later. Like move front axle forward some more, Cab Extension, and currently doing a One Ton Axle Project etc... Your chassis conversion is good. If if didn't come with TBI, then it's older than 1987, as 87 was first year for TBI. Check out what you have and ask more questions. Others on here have that combo and will help you. You're on the right track. Pivnic

Thanks for the welcome! I've been watching your build for awhile. I think to get the suspension/brakes/steering/body mounts all set, then turn to the motor. They dumped the pipes right under the cabin past the glass packs.... We all came home with some CO poisoning for sure that night. So either a quick tune for now and LS swap future, and definitely run new exhaust all the way back....

Used to live between Table Mesa and Boulder, where I met my wife... 300 days of sunshine and still has seasons! Miss the area and weather, not the cost of living up there..

You're right, sure looks like a ten bolt. Still not a bad axle. I think Jk axles are at their limits with a 35" tire and any heavy 4 wheeling, I've bent my JKUR's front axle somewhere and it's a D44, not a 30. They have thinner axle tubes and the inner C's are very narrow. There are several aftermarket companies that make replacement axle housing for a JK that are much stronger then the stock housing are for not that much more money. One more thing, it looks like you have maybe a Vic Jr. Aluminum intake BTW, I am in Reno, very diverse terrain here. I can drive for an hour and be at the Rubicon trail, it's way different yet. I've also done some work to the Rubicon to make it more flexible !lol

Find out what the JK axles are from. only the Rubicon has D44 fronts, though all models have a D44 rear. You'll also want to know what gear ratio is in the diff. If it has 3.21 and you plan on larger ratio you'll have to replace the carrier.
Also, unless you only do roads and light wheeling you will want to truss those. JK axles are weak, the C's bend easily. The front is also a driver's-side drop, and the width measuring at the wheel-mating-surface on each side is 66".

Axles your rear is a 12 bolt (truck version) good axle you can even get lockers for it i put a lock-right in mine. Front axle is a 10 bolt almost identical to DANA 44 since GM didnt want to buy from Dana any more copied it got sued and had to pay up almost all parts interchange so keep it great axle.
Tranny/ T-case TH350 with a np203 good tranny t-case ok doing mild wheeling. Good news th350 and 700r4 tranny can be swapped to give you over drive you need a 700r4 with a 27 spline output shaft same as th350, then you can keep the NP203 to save some coin then you would have to shorten your drive shaft a little( 700r4 a little longer) cheaper than getting a new one.

But a better set up would be 700r4 with a np205 10 spline input is the most common you would need a 27/10 spilne coupler also most common and your 205 would bolt right up to the transmission using the stock tranny to t-case adapter.
Now if you go 700r4 get one with a Big letter "K" stamped into the sides of the bell housing Denotes HD case a standard case works good too.
And look for a date code for a 1989 tranny has all the factory upgrades then add a couple servo upgrades you have a great overdrive tranny no computer needed. ebay look for ATSG overhaul spec book 700r4 about $25 tells you everything to look for.
i run this combo in my willys truck fantastic no issues
Dont waste the $$ on the JK stuff your stock axles are better with no upgrades. 35" tire max just dont beat on them.

Last edited:
Bruce... Thanks for the beta... Been edumacating myself on the bowtie stuff... From what I'm gathering is the 700R4 and the 4L60 are the same... I love the idea of overdrive, no electronics. Been hitting up CList and found the K type you mention. Also see early one were prone to some problems. Is '89 and newer the cut off in your opinion?

I may be wrong but, I think the 4l60 is actually called a 4l60e because it is electronically controlled but definitely the 700 r4 is not.

4l60E electronically controlled they sell stand alone boxes to run them but not cheap, stick with the 700r4 with a few upgrades very reliable and strong. GM got it right after a few years thats why i said try for at least 89, i think it ran till 92 changed name to 4L60 last 2 years model should have most factory upgrades, but if you get a older one you can find plenty of good used upgraded parts (ebay) like input shaft, and output shaft, valve body from newer models that drop into a older model.
By getting the newest one possible you have less to upgrade, whatever you get internals can get swapped from case to case just dont get one from a V6 there are some differences from the the V8 model. also ck wikipedia

OK... Good information. So on being a '75 frame and chassis... (remember I'm new to chevy)...

My research had this: <<<1978: Drivetrain same as 77 for 1/2 ton 3/4 ton..........and 1 ton. It was around 1978 that GM began to offer its own front axle.........which replaced the standard Dana 44 that GM had used for more than 10 years. This was the Corporate 10 bolt front axle, which would be in use until 87 for trucks and 91 for K5 blazers & suburbans>>>

So I'm leaning that we have a D44 front?
IMG_1940.JPG
I know that we all swap stuff over years, and this is an aftermarket cover... Think it's a D44?

Then the Xfer... I've been digging around for a tag of something so I can plan....

<<<1974: Np203 offered in all GM 4x4 models stick or automatic ordered with V8. Locking diff was offered with Np203 full time 4x4. Front axles: were dana 44 1/2 ton. HD dana 44 3/ ton. Rear axles: 12 bolt 1/2 ton. 14 bolt 3/4 ton. trannys, 350 turbo, 3spd manual, SM465. T-cases.....Np203....Np205.........and dana 20. (74 was last year dana 20 was offered)

1975: Sm465/203 combo was done away with. Last year Np205 could be ordered with auto trans. Also last year for full convertible K5 Blazers. Axles & trannys same as 1974.

1976: In mid 1975 (76 model year) GM began to offer Np203 Full time 4x4 only with automatic transmissions. And the NP205 was only offered behind manual transmissions. This would continue until mid 1979.>>>

I'm on the hunt for a late model 700r4 to gain that much needed OD... Thanks again for the beta!!

Jim

its a truck 10 bolt front the pics of 44 cover and 10 bolt is car 10 bolt. also gmc trucks used dana axles while chevy used corprate parts.

Thanks Gremlin & Dave.... I've been thinking the same and REALLY appreciate your insight.

Now to tune the '95 SBC with the carb..... trying to do research on what I have on the top end of the motor. I am learning that it's a performer 2104. Just gotta pull the carb and do a quick service on it wth gaskets. Can we upgrade anything on the existing old carb with todays pump gas, or should we just swap out to a newer one?

Back