59 Wagon Project - Finally getting to it.

I was under the impression that primers were porous and would still allow rust to form if not painted to seal it? Not trying to pretend I know what I'm talking about or say you're wrong as I don't know much about this topic but just trying to learn more.

That's what I thought too, until several videos on Youtube taught me better. Watch this short video to see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKyu3MWuPR8

That's what I thought too, until several videos on Youtube taught me better. Watch this short video to see what I mean.

Interesting. I’ve never heard of it, but then again as everyone can see....we are pretty amateur family here. There is so much info out there, and I kinda swung Cole our son into watching the crews at Eastwood in their fabrication. That and he’s stuck on the Velocity channel now.... I guess that’s better than Minecraft on the iPod. ;)

I wonder if those panels were just exposed after welding to the air/humidity for a time, with no sealer put on in a timely manner after... just thinking out loud is all.

Always learning different ways to skin the cat/deer/apple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying using it is bad, it's definitely better than nothing. It looks like it was primed with regular primer as it is only rusted around the welds. From what I've heard, primer just covers the metal so you can't see it rust not prevent it from rusting. Again not arguing, just trying to have a conversation and learn from someone smarter than me. On a side note, I like the door handle.

For all those that get upset seeing a vehicle get cut up and not put back together the way it rolled out of the factory, my response is: it better than what was there before (or just letting it rot into the ground). But I hear you I'm trying to keep mine as close to stock as possible but that's my reasoning for it not being perfect, I'd rather have something that's not perfect than a garage ornament.

I hear ya. The ‘47 2A out back is left stock, and we are trying to keep that one as close to original as possible, minus the 12 volt conversion. Even down to the NPT tires & stock wheels.

Fam is pretty excited to get this on the road this summer, and given the state it was in, and the funds available.... and of course time balancing kids, work, and the honey do house projects... that getting her on the road to enjoy it would be best for now. The ‘81 CJ5 sat in the garage for 3 years doing a frame off, and now that the kids are 11 & 14, we missed the opportunity to drive that one. Wifey and I think going camping and eating at greasy spoon joints would be better served at this juncture in life

I'm not saying using it is bad, it's definitely better than nothing. It looks like it was primed with regular primer as it is only rusted around the welds. From what I've heard, primer just covers the metal so you can't see it rust not prevent it from rusting. Again not arguing, just trying to have a conversation and learn from someone smarter than me. On a side note, I like the door handle.

I know you don't have tons of "spare" time, but if you ever do, go to youtube and search weldable primer, and see the tons of videos that come up on the subject. They convinced me that a few dollar rattle can is a small price to pay for a little insurance. Well, that's my 2 cents worth. As I said, good luck with your build.

Was at the annual 4x4 swap meet today and hiked 2.4 miles with the wifey in search of the NP231c, pass drop. Apparently it’s a friggin unicorn as we found 30+ 231/241’s.... all drivers drop. Oh well, good exercise in the sun looking at 1000’s of jeep parts. We might as well been searching for a drivers side pumpkin that would swap into the K5 chassis.. would’ve been outta there in an hour. There was a complete pickup body and bed in great shape for 1000 Obo.. looked at Becki and she laughed as we are already swimming in Willys/CJ parts. But agreed it was a good dealio.

So got a break with some sunny spring weather and got on the advice from Broken Wagon of starting the removal of the LM7 motor.

Started the burb up and still runs like a watch.... pulled the 3 plugs under the dash and awaiting the 20 minutes to see if we got the computer to unlearn the security thing...

52de0cbf265d3685e0ab1e5ca23e3276.jpg

bda08bfc2acbaa695b7bbc8b3859b528.jpg

Last edited:
If you are having trouble with the Passlock making your suburban not start, it can be bypassed with a 2.2Kohm resistor, relarned, and it will never do it again.

Had a great conversation last evening with Pivnic. And he has the transfer case we need, but after looking at shipping we about crapped a brick. We both figured it would be.

So while waiting to discuss with the wifey getting off work, my buddy hits me up and said there’s a ‘84 Grand Wagoneer rolling chassis that a guy wants to get rid of. Says “It’s got the Drivers diff you want and will work with that suburban xfer case you already have with all the sensors, and is narrower to get them tires back under the fenders like you wanted, instead of the K5 front end.” This is of course after ordering the Dirty Dingo K5 to LS motor mounts today.....

Ahhh..... hell. What’s a phone call cost babe?

Yep. Headed north with a trailer to go see it. If y’all don’t hear from me later, you can probably find me buried behind the shed with a Jeep grill for a headstone

Last edited:
Well.... $250 later and this followed me home. ‘84 Grand Wagoneer chassis. Had an engine fire in ‘89 and sat in the corner of the shop until 3 years ago. He was tired of moving it. Soooooo who am I not to help him out.

Ahhhh Hell. Whaddya gonna do

b62fff396317e0464fec03f6ed466083.jpg

d9dbae44137499f830613dffd2b2d510.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great score, Jim. It's nice when you're in the right place at the right time.

The apprentice got after getting the old motor/assembly out. Drained the oil and found water and made the decision to just scrap it.

df8f472ce3e326dbe93acdaa7d36c752.jpg

9944ca2d68db64d2aba6ae95744ae1a6.jpg

e43b2387a0217a9320a1e0de56ef0c83.jpg

161df45bedd204240154bf1a892a4eb8.jpg

Bonus was we got $$ for the thing... and here I thought WE would be paying to drop it off. Bonus!

So total cost of $172 for a chassis. Well, at least something is going our way....

8604a2ee8172b4b91bcb228b3a7ba9b1.jpg

Wow! That's an exciting find! You sure do have the perfect wife.

LOL..... she’s great. She even Jedi mind tricked me into the chassis saying it’ll be more of what we wanted from Day 1. Then of course she brings up the house across the street is for sale and cars driving by all the time. Then they look across the street and see the used car lot/bone yard developing out front and wonders what they think.

I said they are probably saying “Hey sweet project”.... She thinks otherwise for some reason.

She’s definitely accepting of a squirrel like me just trying to get a nut....

Well... we got the different parties involved to hang out on the driveway for a group pic, before we break up the band.

6939cd1e18fdf9f268fe265a113e3fa0.jpg

I can move your thread to the Build Thread section if you'd like, lemme know...

Pete

I can move your thread to the Build Thread section if you'd like, lemme know...

Pete

What ever works for you Bossman Pete!

I am usually on the mobile tapatalk app as its easy to upload pics... I should probably get on a desktop and see the actual forum layout.

That's probably a better location... Trust whatever you want to do

Wow! That's an exciting find! You sure do have the perfect wife.
My wife saw your Instagram post. She said, "His poor wife, they have a front garage." HaHa My stuff has to stay behind the gate, rear garage. Good wifey there man.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Before you move that K5 on, it may have a flat top knuckle on the front for a high steer. The rotors, calipers, locking hubs are most likely an interchange for your waggy axle, along with potential 3.73 diff gears up front. Not a big deal unless you are scrapping it. Save parts, save $.

Duane

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back