Corbin
First Name
Jon
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
Hello,

I'm working on what appears to be a 1948 Jeepster with the 4 cylinder L-134 but instead of it being a column shift it has a floor shifter, I'm wanting to think it's a T-96 but I'm having a hard time identifying it. Were there Jeepsters with a floor shift transmission? Can anyone direct me in the direction of where to look to identify this transmission correctly? The owner of this vehicle I'm working on says it's a 47 Jeepster which also throws me as to which transmission it could be, but Jeepsters were only produced 48-50 right?

Thank you for the help in advance.

Jon Preston

It would have had a T-96 originally. I'm not sure if that transmission was available as a top shifter. Could be someone swapped in a T-90 or something else?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It would have had a T-96 originally. I'm not sure if that transmission was available as a top shifter. Could be someone swapped in a T-90 or something else?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I actually crawled up under it tonight and looked, it's a T-96, it actually says T-96 1B. I'm assuming that maybe there were some top loader T-96 trans?
Now to find a shift knob for it...

Thanks again.

I have been told in the past that some dj's had top shifters and t-96 trans, and know that gibson tractors had the same trans and top shift, very hard to come by

That seems to be what I'm finding out, that Gibson tractors had a top shifter. This transmission has the ports on the side for a column shift linkages, but it's been made into a top shifter at some point in time as the floor pan looks like it's been cut with a can opener to allow for clearance. This Jeepster I'm working on is a one of a kind seems like.

Thanks for the help,

Jon

I'm guessing that your tranny is not an overdrive, I think someone on this forum tried to put a DJ top shifter on an T96 w/od and failed it did not fit.
diggerG

I'm guessing that your tranny is not an overdrive, I think someone on this forum tried to put a DJ top shifter on an T96 w/od and failed it did not fit.
diggerG

I have another question kind of going along with this transmission, I was trying to identify the trans to see what types of parts are available for it in case of repair.
The other night I had it running, pushed in the clutch and put it in gear and nothing. No grinding, no movement, nothing. I removed the inspection plate and you can see the clutch engage and disengage but it's like trans isn't engaging gears. I've read that possibly the t-case may be in neutral. This is a T-96 trans but does have a top shifter instead of the column, so how would I go about getting it out of Neutral?

Any help is appreciated.

Jon

A 2wd will not have a transfer case.
You did put the driveshaft on, right?
And do you know that this vehicle actually drove when you got it?
What is it in for? Sounds like you are working on someone else's Jeep.
diggerG

A 2wd will not have a transfer case.
You did put the driveshaft on, right?
And do you know that this vehicle actually drove when you got it?
What is it in for? Sounds like you are working on someone else's Jeep.
diggerG

Ah, it didn't even register in my mind that the transfer case was associated with four wheel drive, I don't know why but I had a severe dummy moment.
Drive shaft is on, according to many around home this Jeepster drove locally for years in parades and such. The man I'm working on it for, it belonged to his grandfather and it's been sitting for years. Within the last 5 years it was worked on at a Votech school but I don't know to what extent. I've got the engine running but the trans. doesn't seem to engage.

Does the driveshaft spin? If so it's the spider gears.
If it's an overdrive transmission,. it may be internal in the overdrive.
diggerG

I had a dark blue Jeepster in the early 70s that had a floor shift transmission in it. I was told when I traded for it that it had a truck transmission in it. I sold it in the Lexington, KY area.

Jon
Another option is to take the top shifter off and look inside. Between that and the little cover in the bell housing you can figure out what is going on.
diggerG

Back