1959 Willys Family Heirloom: Saving "The Jeep"

Josh,

You are an artist! It's obvious you will bring the Willys back to it's former glory. In the final photo, with you behind the wheel, i like the two straps that look like they hold the fender on and the door closed...

This is awesome. Since you are in Owego and I am in Corning perhaps our Willys will pass in the woods one day--
ea0209f31a0eb8d48b514b914e79f799.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kudos to you Josh! That was one horrendously rusty beast you started with. The sentimental value you have in that truck is a force to be reckoned with.

Love the old cast Eastwood bead roller. Never seen one before like that as only Chinese plate type ones now and have to reinforce them a lot to make them work.

Awesome repairs! Love the old bead roller, very classy. Looks like you're on a good clip to get her back on the road.

Josh,

You are an artist! It's obvious you will bring the Willys back to it's former glory. In the final photo, with you behind the wheel, i like the two straps that look like they hold the fender on and the door closed...

The strap on the fender actually was to hold the chainsaws when driving out into the woods to cut firewood. The strap on the door does act as a latch as the factory one broke years ago.

This is awesome. Since you are in Owego and I am in Corning perhaps our Willys will pass in the woods one day--
ea0209f31a0eb8d48b514b914e79f799.jpg

Cool truck! My Jeep passed through Corning, on a trailer, on the way to my house. I live a little west of Rochester so that is where it will be for now.

Continuing on with the build slowly. Lots of things going on now that the weather has began to become nice again. Here is the driver's floor pan trimmed and bead rolled.

Jeep%20floor-64_zpsfcnzo7a4.jpg

Installing the pan.

Jeep%20floor-66_zpscvnvrtrx.jpg

Jeep%20floor-67_zps2nqgfjqd.jpg

Beginning to make the filler piece to close the gap to the tunnel.

Jeep%20floor-68_zps7vfrmjwe.jpg

More to come.

Last edited:
I honestly didn't think there was a snowballs chance that lower half of the cab could be salvaged. You are definitely gifted[emoji3][emoji1360]keep up the great work. Can't wait for the updates

More work on the driver's side. Formed the toe board and checking it for fitment.

Jeep%20floor-69_zpsusgraejz.jpg

Jeep%20floor-70_zpsji3lbfrr.jpg

And welded in.

Jeep%20floor-71_zpsvxkkyvkq.jpg

Just need to make the small section at the bottom of the throttle pedal and the floor work will be complete.

Finishing the floor! I had rot right into the transmission hole so I first reinforced the hole with a piece of 1/4" rod.

Jeep%20floor-72_zpsfumx8dgf.jpg

The filler piece is ready to go in.

Here all the pieces are together and welds ground down.

Jeep%20floor-73_zpsks5chlho.jpg

Primed up and ready for action.

Jeep%20floor-74_zpskiptxisq.jpg

With the floor done I finished up the front cab corner. Fitting the filler piece first.

Jeep%20floor-76_zpsp9xtec5w.jpg

Tacking into place.

Jeep%20floor-77_zpszs6exynj.jpg

All little more welding...

Jeep%20floor-78_zpszq5vadlh.jpg

And bam!

Jeep%20floor-79_zpsx2biuli2.jpg

Now I was a little leery about this next part, but it turned out to be easier than I anticipated. I'm referring to the extreme rot above the windshield.

Jeep%20windshield-01_zpsspdahv4q.jpg

Looking pretty nasty. So what to do, but start cutting!

Jeep%20windshield-02_zpssyowjy53.jpg

I'm replacing the whole upper windshield frame with 1.5 x 3" tube. I'll be adding the lip for the gasket to be spot welded on later.

Jeep%20windshield-03_zpsgsaqobav.jpg

Jeep%20windshield-04_zpsgd2zyvk4.jpg

Not a show restoration, but way better than it was.

Jeep%20windshield-05_zpszxdhjeer.jpg

One down, one to go.

Jeep%20windshield-06_zpsa5s9bwfd.jpg

Jeep%20windshield-07_zpslaqydxqv.jpg

Bam.

Jeep%20windshield-08_zpsquwswgoe.jpg

All finish welded.

Jeep%20windshield-09_zpsbijwjtcs.jpg

On the inside I have cleaned the edges up, added some gussets, and reattached the interior light bracket.

Jeep%20windshield-10_zps4trmzd1r.jpg

More to come...

Updates!

I replaced the front wheel cylinders, hoses, brake lines, and master cylinder. The shoes and hardware were okay so I left them alone.

Jeep%20ReSemble-09_zpsxlzafpqp.jpg

Jeep%20ReSemble-08_zpslnyxmcot.jpg

Rattle can restoration continues! Got the front fenders sand blasted and edged out in red.

Jeep%20ReSemble-07_zpszxmlncfh.jpg

Scuff it and shoot it!

Jeep%20ReSemble-10_zpsey2msson.jpg

Bam!

Jeep%20ReSemble-11_zpslgjzqfas.jpg

Rattled on some flat black on the chassis and it looks good as well.

Jeep%20ReSemble-12_zpsutrhsjhf.jpg

Jeep%20ReSemble-13_zpssdnw93bm.jpg

Here with fender back on and repainted front wheel.

Jeep%20ReSemble-15_zpsqzclfxsk.jpg

Jeep%20ReSemble-16_zpsekylukri.jpg

Both fenders and cleaned up trim rings and lights.

Jeep%20ReSemble-17_zpssfc0sqly.jpg

Jeep%20ReSemble-18_zpsiqbs7gzi.jpg

Next I'll be finishing up the body work, door repair, and repainting the rest of the truck.

Interesting out of the box thinking on repairing the rust above the windshield! Looks like it'll work great. You're coming along nicely and it's looking wonderful.

I've changed my opinion on rusted out cars and their ability
to be restored! Interesting and informative.

I think I need to come and be your apprentis. How totally impressive. I d k how long you've been working on this but Ive had my truck 6 mo. And its nowhere near the stage youre at, and bad as I thought mine was, yours was worse. My hat is off to you. matty49

Back