Dec 9, 2016
Vermont
First Name
Dave
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
I am converting my drum parking brake to a hydraulic brake. I have seen this idea floated around various forums in the past but have never seen it done although I am sure someone has completed one. My brake just needed way too many new parts and the actuator arm stud was broken off in the transfer case housing. When I started adding up parts I felt that I could build a disk brake for less money and possibly less work. I have a old south bend lathe that I more or less know how to operate so that helps. I ordered a hydraulic brake handle and master cylinder one Ebay it is intended to be used as a rear brake actuator for drift racing cars, they are made in china of course and they are inexpensive. This will be mounted between the seats, it can be locked back for use as a parking brake or left unlocked for use as a auxiliary or emergency brake. I went to the local parts store and came up with a 10 inch rotor that fits a Geo Metro for about $25. Yesterday I opened up the center hole to accommodate the drive yoke from the transfer case and drilled and tapped holes to hold the bolts, I will locktite them into the disc to keep them from turning if the drive shaft needs to be disassembled. I love this sort of project and plan to complete it in my spare time over the next couple of weeks I will try to post some pictures.

Ha Ha only a day and a half into it, my master cylinder should come middle of next week. I won't be able to get it back in my friends shop and on his car lift for about another 10 days, I hope to have all of the parts in hand by then and a little more machine work done. I crawled under it this morning and did a little trial fitting and found that the 10 inch rotor is a little big so I am going to reduce the diameter a little. A smaller rotor would not have had a large enough recess in the center to give clearance for the output bearing housing. I will of course lose some bearing surface for the pads and I may have to do some trial and error to find calipers that will work well.

I was told with a few modes to the disk that the front brakes off a geo metro will work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave, this looks like a nice project and I wish you the best of luck with it. People who manufacture these manual hydraulic brake actuators do not recomend them for parking brake use. Micro Lock brake makes a unit you can plumb into you're braking system to hold pressure on the system and it comes with a warning to never let the vehicle unattended while using it. There is a reason that parking brakes are applied mechanically. Also as stated in another brake post on this forum any time you modify a braking system you are assuming all liability incurred. Good luck with you're project!

Having read our inspection rules several times I could find no requirement that a parking brake be mechanical. The only requirement I can find is that it works and has some reserve travel (not bottomed out). Having run manual shift beaters off and on most of my life I have never relied on a parking brake anyway. Shut off the engine cramp the wheels so if it rolls it hits something solid and leave it in 1st gear, or if your sure you have a good battery park where it won't roll. I like the idea of a hydraulic actuator because it will be very easy to use as a auxiliary or emergency brake. Wilwood makes a nice cable operated caliper if one wanted a manual cable brake, I expect it could be hooked up to the jeeps original brake handle. As we live where road salt rusts everything solid standard procedure is to get the parking brake working once a year for inspection and don't touch it for the next 365 days for fear it won't release and you will be marooned at your favorite backwoods fishing spot.:cheers:

Got my hydraulic ebrake done and a inspection sticker. I think if one sticks to a strict interpretation of the rules it is illegal but the guy that did the inspection though it was cool. I love it as it makes a great addition to the poor breaks on my old cj, they are new master cylinder to shoes but still require a strong leg. One finger on my between the seat hand brake handle will stop it nearly as well and using both is awesome.

Back