Roseburg OR
First Name
Denny
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
Howdy folks:

I'm looking for a brake parts supplier for my '53 Aero Falcon. I especially need a master cyl. The former owner said he got some stuff from Kaiser Willys but I don't see anything on their website that indicates it would fit an Aero. Or did the 2WD Willys wagons of that era uses the same brake components? Any help appreciated!

Denny

check with an interchange manual, but from what i remember, some studebaker m/cyl. interchanges and there are plenty of stude vendors out there, doug

You should call Kaiser-Willys. They have some Aero parts that are not listed on their website.

I am rebuilding the brakes on my 52 Wing and these are the parts I ordered from Rock Auto. As I order more parts, I will add to the list.

Front wheel cyl rebuild kit= WK-108 - WARNING! I ordered two kits from Rock Auto and both had one 1" cup and one 1 1/8" cup in each packaged box. The cylinders on my car are 1 1/8". I assumed that they were all packaged this way but filled out the paperwork to send them back. They sent me 2 new boxes and guess what.. At least they didn't tell me to ship the first two boxes back. long story short, it took 4 kits to make 2. I will try a different supplier next time
Rear wheel cyl.= ( need qty. 2) Mine are 13/16" and I got them from NAPA# 10028
flexible brake hoses= Centric 15061086 (need qty. 3) fits front and rear!
Front Grease Seals = Centric 41764005 (need qty. 2)
Master Cyl.= Centric 13063003

I am buying the brake shoes from here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NORS-BRAKE-...ash=item1ebc265a2e:g:p3UAAOSwux5YLiRC&vxp=mtr
OK so, not so impressed with the brake shoes. Two of them look fine and two of them actually have 1 3/4" shoes glued to the 2" surface. These will go on the rear of the car. I have another set ordered from Summit.

And the search continues for brake shoes.. The Summit shoes were the wrong ones.
Here is what I know from what is on my car:
The size is 9" diameter x 2" wide. Important because many listings are wrong.
Supposidly all of these vehicles take the same shoes so, you wouldn't think that they would be difficult to find. So far, I have struck out at Summit, NAPA, and Rock-Auto.
1952 Willys Aero Wing
51-55 Willys Aero, F & R
52-57 Nash Statesman 40, Rambler Model 10, 25, 28. Front
56-59 Jeep Dispatcher, F & R
53-54 Hudson Jet, F & R
51-54 Henry J (Kaiser/Willys), F & R

I did find out that the 4 lug brake drums are the same that is used on a '61-'70 IH Scout 4x2.

Last edited:
Great advice, guys - Thanks! That's what these forums are all about. I think I'll be OK now - unless I need a brake drum - or several.

Denny

Here is more info on Brake Shoes.
I have been searching Epay and all of the Auto Parts suppliers to find brake shoes for my 1952 Aero with not a lot of luck. I even ordered a set from Summit only to ship them back because they were 11”. My Wing has 9’ X 2”brakes. As I was searching for parts for my Mighty Mite and just by luck, I ran across brake shoes for that. As I am studying the picture, I noticed that they look exactly like the ones on my Aero! Long story short they are the same and there is plenty of them available due to Army Surplus supplies. The two sets that I just bought of Epay are riveted 9” x 2” with a date on the wrapping paper of 1967. They linings are all 2” wide by the full length.

Part number: 1221/51,
Part number stamped in steel: Bendix 4902
9” x 2” Bonded Brake Shoes fits:
1952, 53 Nash Statesman model 40, Front & Rear
1953, 54, 55 Rambler model 10, 25, 28, Front
1956, 57 Rambler 6 cyl model 5610, 35610, 5710
1952, 53, 54, 55 Willys Passenger car, Front & Rear
1956, 57, 58, 59 Jeep Dispatcher DJ3A, Front & Rear
1953, 54 Hudson Jet, Front & Rear
1951, 52, 53, 54 Henry J, Front & Rear.
M38A1, M170, CJ3B, early CJ5 Willys Jeep
1959, 60, 61, 62 M422 AMC Mighty Mite

And here is where I found a seemingly endless supply for them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/292035838074?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:
Rick,

Thanks for the great brake info! My DJ-3A Dispatcher needs all new brake parts and this will save me hours of search time!

- Dave

If those shoes are the same as M38A1, then why aren't the same as early CJ5 or CJ3B? Something is wrong here I think. The pic Rick posted looks just like early CJ5. And even if they aren't, use them anyway. What could the difference be? different location for holes? Drill them! Some people work at how to NOT get something done, and others how TO get something done. If they are 9" x 2" Bendix, you're almost there anyway.
diggerG

Yep, you are right. Here is the quote from the Ebay add:
"This is an original NOS brake shoe for the 9" drum set up. This is for the late M38A1 USMC Contract Jeep and M422 mighty Mite. This is a full 2" wide lining on the shoe. These are in excellent condition and ready to be installed. We are selling these as singles so you can try one or two out before committing to a full set. The metal part of the shoe is the same as the standard M38A1, Cj3B, and early CJ5. QTM Parts"

Back