Thread: 1952 Willys Aero Wing

Bigger Hammer
    First Name
    Rick
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, we got Little Wing running this week! Ran so-so but it ran. I actually drove it backward and forward about 30' (no brakes of coarse..) Changed out the ignition switch eliminating the Detroit hot wire that my buddy done to it.. Rebuilt the carb and it ran better. Adjusted the rocker arms so now it is not near as loud. Replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses so now we don't have antifreeze going everywhere. The oil is very clean so I dumped a can of Rislolne in it to help clean things up a little more. I want to get it nice and warmed up then change the oil to straight 30 weight with a zink additive. I am not sure if you gan get the correct radiator hoses for it or not but we made what I had on the shelf work pretty well. The bottom hose is a cut down version of a lower radiator hose for any 66-80's V8 AMC car (NAPA#7399). And the upper is a cut down version from a '50 Lincoln V8. (ROADMAX C0065)

Now I need to order a fuel pump for it. I ordered all of the brake stuff for it. Hopefully, it will all work!
    Last edited by SC/397; 02-17-2017 at 10:24 AM.

2. Likes Pete liked this post
    Bigger Hammer
    First Name
    Rick
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    I made a hub puller for the rear. I welded a hex nut on the inside that just happen to have the same thread as my cheapo vibration damper puller. It worked great!

4. Likes Pete liked this post
    Bigger Hammer
    Year
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good job on the puller!
    Mike in Vista, CA

Sharpest-Tool
    First Name
    Jim
    Model
    Pickup
    Clarence,New York (western part near Buffalo)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am new to the world of F-161 motors,I have one I want to put in a '52 wagon but the oil pan has the large(sump) on the front end and hits the 2 wheel drive front axle...so looking for the right oil pan if anyone can help...thanks

Bigger Hammer
    First Name
    Rick
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am new to the world of F-161 engines as well so, I dn't have a answer for you.

It is sad but, it has been a year since I was on this project... However, we did spend some time and got the carb sorted out. We originally couldn't get the main jet out and just blew cleaner through it and of course, that was the problem. Put some flame to it and finally got it out and found that it was plugged. Man that, is one tiny hole. It took a straight pin to clean it out. It runs decent now and will idle. Valve train is still a little noisy for my liking but, I will keep working on it. I am a little more inspired now to work on it again!
    AeroEngine by Rick Jones, on Flickr

8. Likes scramboleer liked this post
    Bigger Hammer
    First Name
    Rick
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    I scored some skirts for her last year and found out that the wheel covers are from a 1954 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Ave. I was able to find a couple more to match.
    w2 by Rick Jones, on

And yes, I have a set of Lake Pipes for it and will attempt to lower it about a inch in back. Wide whites will be on their way soon.

First Name
    Mark
    Year
    Model
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking Aero. The dual carb head pictured earlier in the thread is mine, it's off a Brazil Aero 2600. Somewhere I have a mid 50's hot rod magazine with an article on souping up the f-head. Can't remember much other than the side of the intake was milled flat, a plate bolted on and a couple side draft carbs attached. Heard of a coupe US Darrins with dual carb heads, one owned by an ex Kaiser advertising exec fitted with several prototype parts. Makes me wonder if the dual carb concept started here.

Bigger Hammer
    First Name
    Rick
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to get a copy of that article when you find it!
    I found what I think is a good solution on front shocks too. Hopefully, all we will have to do is trim the lower sleeve in the bushing. I ordered a few sets of them today.
    Oh and even as ugly as the color is, the car looks better than it is. It is a Michigan car and it shows it underneath.

Bigger Hammer
    First Name
    Rick
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    The sound kinda sucks but Little Willy is running pretty good.
    All new brake lines are ran and just need to install the master cylinder now. Tires are on order. I am really enjoying messing with this thing. I can't wait to drive it!
    IMG_4459 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

13. Likes scramboleer liked this post
    First Name
    Mark
    Year
    Model
    Post Thanks / Like