May 20, 2016
Michigan
First Name
Rick
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1953
Bought this one last week end. It was so cold and windy that I didn't even get a chance to look her over good. Supposidly 37,000 original miles, 6 cyl OD and has the optional radio. It has been repainted at least once and has bubbles here and there. The interior was re-done once and needs it again. Not sure if I will Hot Rod it or keep it stock. It is on the bottom of the long lists of projects to get done first. This rounds out my Willys collection so now I can quit looking... yea right!
1948 Empire Tractor
1952 Willys Aero Wing
1953 Willys Pickup
1958 Military Mule
52Wing by Rick Jones, on Flickr
w8 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Last edited:
That has been suggested and I do like Gassers but, the rear quarters seem too good to cut. If I did anything I would lower it and put some aftermarket wheels on it. Still in the planning mode right now. I wouldn't even mind hopping up the stock 6 banger if I could find a dual carb set up for it.

Nice looking score Rick. Those are awesomely cool.

A head like this one?

F161 dual carb head.jpg

Found that pic on the net. They even grew those things to 184 inches with a 1/2" stroke in Brazil. Cool parts.

I'm all for keeping it stock; the older I get the more my dad rubs off on me. But not completely, I just picked up a F161, trying to convince him to put it in the Jeepster or the Henry J. But it turned out to be a little more beat up than I thought, so if you do stick an AMC in there keep me in mind for the engine.

Yea Ken, It would be way cool to me to hop it up as I could have back in the day especially with a dual or triple carb set up. You have a parts source? Any ideas appreciated!

w3 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Last edited:
There was some stuff on those engines back in the day, but unfortunately they only lasted here in North America for 4 years, 52-55. I understand Kaiser did a few with Mcculloch (?) superchargers for the Darrin, and I've seen a picture with the F161 with 3 carbs on one of the sports cars made on the Henry J chassis. The Excaliber maybe, or the Wildfire? Dunno how they did that with the existing head design. Or hunt up the Hemi head experimental version they did for development of the Tornado.

But Brazil is where you might find parts. That's where the engine went, and they did a bunch of stuff over the years. That's where that twin carb head picture is from, sometime in the 60's. There was at least some versions with a nice looking separate intake manifold and a 2 bbl carb as well. After Ford bought Willys down there they kept the engine all the way into the late 70's and even installed it in the Maverick. I know at one point Ford did a fairly significant rework with a taller deck for the 1/2" stroke, revised cooling (rear cylinder apparently gets hot) and probably integral mounts as well as a full flow oil system. I'd think the later the version the more difficult interchangeability would be. At some point they were all the way up to 140 hp. That would be sort of smoking for 52.

But a mid sixties dual carb head would be real cool.

The engine is really cool - weird is good! and everything I read on it says they were a really nice little engine. I know my Dad's Henry J with the flathead version is excellent, smooth and quiet but not a lot of power. That's why I picked up this F161, trying to convince him we should put it in that or the Jeepster. The 49 Jeepster needs it more, it's got the flathead 4 and that's not much power! 50% more power would be good, but he is not biting - so far.

So - how is your Portuguese?

Like that Exhaust Manifold! Maybe I can figure out a way to turn the intake manifold in to a 3 duce set up.
We have the technology!

Hi Rick:

That's a pretty solid-looking car, considering it's from the Midwest. I really envy your having an original radio in there, I've been looking for one for a long time. Keep us posted on your developments!

Denny

Well I got the little beast home last Saturday. Had a few parts in thr trunk. If coarse, there is only 3 flipper wheel covers. Not sure what they are even from. They kinda look like Olds but not sure.

The owner claims that the plate is original to the car so, that is the story I am going with.

The grille had been replaced once so it still looks pretty nice.

A few extra trim peices I assume from a Aero Lark

Well, we got Little Wing running this week! Ran so-so but it ran. I actually drove it backward and forward about 30' (no brakes of coarse..) Changed out the ignition switch eliminating the Detroit hot wire that my buddy done to it.. Rebuilt the carb and it ran better. Adjusted the rocker arms so now it is not near as loud. Replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses so now we don't have antifreeze going everywhere. The oil is very clean so I dumped a can of Rislolne in it to help clean things up a little more. I want to get it nice and warmed up then change the oil to straight 30 weight with a zink additive. I am not sure if you gan get the correct radiator hoses for it or not but we made what I had on the shelf work pretty well. The bottom hose is a cut down version of a lower radiator hose for any 66-80's V8 AMC car (NAPA#7399). And the upper is a cut down version from a '50 Lincoln V8. (ROADMAX C0065)

Now I need to order a fuel pump for it. I ordered all of the brake stuff for it. Hopefully, it will all work!

Last edited:
I made a hub puller for the rear. I welded a hex nut on the inside that just happen to have the same thread as my cheapo vibration damper puller. It worked great!

I am new to the world of F-161 motors,I have one I want to put in a '52 wagon but the oil pan has the large(sump) on the front end and hits the 2 wheel drive front axle...so looking for the right oil pan if anyone can help...thanks

I am new to the world of F-161 engines as well so, I dn't have a answer for you.

It is sad but, it has been a year since I was on this project... However, we did spend some time and got the carb sorted out. We originally couldn't get the main jet out and just blew cleaner through it and of course, that was the problem. Put some flame to it and finally got it out and found that it was plugged. Man that, is one tiny hole. It took a straight pin to clean it out. It runs decent now and will idle. Valve train is still a little noisy for my liking but, I will keep working on it. I am a little more inspired now to work on it again!
AeroEngine by Rick Jones, on Flickr

I scored some skirts for her last year and found out that the wheel covers are from a 1954 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Ave. I was able to find a couple more to match.
w2 by Rick Jones, on

And yes, I have a set of Lake Pipes for it and will attempt to lower it about a inch in back. Wide whites will be on their way soon.

Nice looking Aero. The dual carb head pictured earlier in the thread is mine, it's off a Brazil Aero 2600. Somewhere I have a mid 50's hot rod magazine with an article on souping up the f-head. Can't remember much other than the side of the intake was milled flat, a plate bolted on and a couple side draft carbs attached. Heard of a coupe US Darrins with dual carb heads, one owned by an ex Kaiser advertising exec fitted with several prototype parts. Makes me wonder if the dual carb concept started here.

I would love to get a copy of that article when you find it!
I found what I think is a good solution on front shocks too. Hopefully, all we will have to do is trim the lower sleeve in the bushing. I ordered a few sets of them today.
Oh and even as ugly as the color is, the car looks better than it is. It is a Michigan car and it shows it underneath.

The sound kinda sucks but Little Willy is running pretty good.
All new brake lines are ran and just need to install the master cylinder now. Tires are on order. I am really enjoying messing with this thing. I can't wait to drive it!
IMG_4459 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Congrats on making progress toward driving your Aero. I dug out the magazine with the article on "Souping the Willys". Four pages with modifications going more in depth than I remembered. Not likely to scan & post well but I see 6 copies at a variety of prices on ebay.

Search for: Speed Mechanics February 1956

Back