Tailgate Repair

Mark, First of all, I'm sorry it took me so long to add my info to your thread. But here you are.
Dan
Part I the cross member; There is a caption on each one if you double click.
t1.jpgt2.jpgt2-1.jpgt2-2.jpgt2-3.jpgt3.jpgt3-1.jpg

Attachments

• t8.jpg
    t8.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 176
  • t10.jpg
    t10.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 180
  • t12.jpg
    t12.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Great job, Dan! It looks primo! Your tailgate was in much worse shape than mine. Your job will be an inspiration to the many with tailgates they would've otherwise trashed! Gotta get me one of those Roper punches. It would've made work a lot easier. It's on my tool list.

This is a great post on the how to fix one of the worst problems on the Wagon. I am in absolute awe at how talented so many of you guys are and the work you do, especially with regards to the sheet metal work and welding - pure artistry for sure! On many days, if I can remove a rusted screw without too much going wrong, I am happy...

My tailgate repair is no where as clean and professional looking as these guys has done. I used 1.500" .125" angle iron as my corner and epoxied my hinge attaching nuts on the inside after determining where my holes needed to be drilled at. Eh,..not pretty. But very strong,and at least it's on the inside of the tailgate when it's up and closed.
20170211_144853.jpg20170211_163127.jpg20170211_163112.jpg20170401_152221.jpg
....Still need to take some pics of it finished

Last edited:
Haven't touched my tail gate yet. Only been three years. Looks good.

My tailgate repair is no where as clean and professional looking as these guys has done. I used 1.500" .125" angle iron as my corner and epoxied my hinge attaching nuts on the inside after determining where my holes needed to be drilled at. Eh,..not pretty. But very strong,and at least it's on the inside of the tailgate when it's up and closed.
View attachment 40144
View attachment 40145
View attachment 40146
View attachment 40147

......Still need to take some pics of it finished

S
Funshionality is always a good result.
Dan

I am getting ready to start on my tailgate repair. The hinge has been replaced but sheet metal around the lower area is rusted with holes.
Is one repair kit better than the other. Or I can just take a long time and make my own parts. I haven't touched my Willys in a long timeo_O

OK. Didn't know if one was easier to install than the other. Thanks.

Speaking as someone with no metal working skills before I started my project, I think the tailgate parts were really easy to make.

I went to a sheet metal shop that had a brake long enough to make the bend. They charged me 5 bucks ( and a box of donuts for the crew) to shear my sheetmetal to the correct dimensions and make a bend in it . I think my tailgate turned out ok, but I haven't tested the fit yet, because the rotisserie mount is in the way. I also bought a 2" strap hinge from the welding supply company ($18.00)and cut it to the correct dimensions, then drilled and chamfered the holes. (Is that the right term?)I saved $150 bucks making my own patch panels and using the hinge.

Later on I'm going to find out if it was such a great idea when I try to fit it into the opening.
20180324_100632.jpg

Back