Moab 2017 Info thread

Hard to think about planning here on the other frontier...
I should be home in time to make MOAB 8 but can't confirm my schedule.
Sooo, is anybody else planning on rustic camping nearby that I could piggyback on or just provide some good leads on BLM sites that are likely to be open kinda nearby?

Meanwhile here's a fun pic, wish I could bring this baby to Moab and see what it can really do. Thank goodness the a/c in these things are great!

Cheers!

MRAP 4.jpg

Pete, I wish I lived up by you. That would be a great adventure.

Maybe we should do a fall Willys Rally in Idaho... :beer:

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete, I totally agree with you comment for a fall rally in your backyard.

Thomas

Pivnic are you going to plan a convoy again?

Hi Bryce. It all depends if Floyd's One Ton Axle etc project is done in time. If there is interest in it, then me or someone else will probably get something organized with doing a Convoy to Moab. It's always good to travel together and besides, how cool are multiple Willys trucks all headed West Bound together to Moab? How 'bout you Colorado Willys Fans and Surrounding States Willys Fans, you up for a convoy to Moab in May? May will be here before you know it. Pivnic

Hurry up and get Floyd done. We missed it last year.

Hi Casey. My Son in Law (Alvin) and I will be doing everything we can to get Floyd Done in Time for Moab! Are you going to have your Pickup Project Ready for Moab? I like how your truck is coming along. I hope to see you in May! I'm also very excited that PM Magazine will be at our Old Willys Forum Rally in Moab and that they will be covering it etc. Pivnic

so i have never done anything like this and am really hoping to make it. there are a few bare minimum things i need to do to be able to get there.

permanent mount my seat
i need to get my new tires on because mine are really old
checking all vital fluids would be good.
i would like to finish the wiring and install my fuse box
bleed the breaks to get better pedal

thats the quick basic list. a major question i have is are seat belts needed for such an adventure? i was NEVER going to install them. but now i have a little squirt and think that she needs them to rid in it some day. but to get through moab are seatbelts good to have, or will i be ok if i do not get it done between now and then. we have a lot going on between now and may and i just want to make sure i know what the bare minimum needed is so i can get it done so i can "survive".

other thoughts about what i need to make sure is tip top shape between now and then?

so i have never done anything like this and am really hoping to make it. there are a few bare minimum things i need to do to be able to get there.

permanent mount my seat
i need to get my new tires on because mine are really old
checking all vital fluids would be good.
i would like to finish the wiring and install my fuse box
bleed the breaks to get better pedal

thats the quick basic list. a major question i have is are seat belts needed for such an adventure? i was NEVER going to install them. but now i have a little squirt and think that she needs them to rid in it some day. but to get through moab are seatbelts good to have, or will i be ok if i do not get it done between now and then. we have a lot going on between now and may and i just want to make sure i know what the bare minimum needed is so i can get it done so i can "survive".

other thoughts about what i need to make sure is tip top shape between now and then?

Hi Bryce. Your TO DO list isn't bad. You can get that stuff done. I would say Yes, you should have seat beats. The Trails the OWF usually have for the "Group Trail Ride" and fairly Tame. However, even these trails may have some rocky, bumpy sections etc. You also never know when you may have to STOP VERY FAST... You don't want your 'Little One' Flying out of their seat and hitting the hard dash or worse, the Wind shield. SO YEAH, install Seat Belts. That's only a few holes to drill and attach the belts. I Trailer Floyd to "Places of Distance"... Just Because. Unless you're looking for a Big Adventure getting to Moab, I'd save the Adventure Part FOR MOAB... I'd Trailer it. I hope others jump in here and see what their thoughts are about this. I hope to Meet you in Moab. Pivnic

As Pivnic mentioned, the "official" rally trail run will be a very moderate route that anyone can handle. That said, there may be cliff hangers, creek crossings, etc. Seat belts are a personal choice, but they were the first thing I did to my wagon. I know I wouldn't want to come face-to-glass with a Willys windshield... If it were me, I wouldn't run the trails in the Moab area without them (or anywhere for that matter).

As for other things to consider- Cooling systems and fuel systems seem to be the weak link on past trail rides. When the group stops for one rig, sometimes a chain reaction happens while others wait, and the overheating begins to take others out too. It can be hot in Moab, we've done trail rides when the temps are over 100 degrees and others when the temps are in the low 70's. Vapor locking can be an issue in the heat for some rigs. Electric fuel pumps can help push through the vapor locking when needed. My wagon ends up vapor locking every time I take it to Moab to one degree or another. In the six years I have owned it, it has never vapor locked anywhere else...

Common sense stuff, like fully functioning brake system including e-brake (it can get steep on these trails and you may need to rely on the brakes in ways you hadn't thought about), steering components up to the task of a rough trail, decent tires with a spare, tow strap, etc. Extra stuff that you think you may need like coolant, oil, tools, etc, just in case. On the rough trails, I've had things come apart that needed attention on the trail. And we won't mention that time Randy's gas tank fell out and was dragged up the trail by the hose until we could flag him down... :)

I hope you can make the trip, this year is going to be great!
Pete

ok so seat belts added. i know that there will me more to my list, but that was a quick down and dirty of what i could think of this morning. i have never had a function e break in this thing, so that will have to get added to the list. i do plan on trailering it there. and we are going to use my uncles trailer that has a winch on it, that way if i break something major it will be easy to load it to take it home. guess i need to really pay attention to some seat belt install threads. we have some brand new good year wrangler authority tires ready and in the barn, including one for a spare. i would like to find another set of wheels like i have and get the, powder coated.

I'm planning to make the trek out there as well from sunny Florida. Does anyone know if any discounted rooms are available at the Red Cliffs Lodge anymore? I'll give them a call today and see. It looks like many other places in Moab are already booked up.

My main concern is where to park my truck and trailer since I'll be trailering it out there. Will the Red Cliffs Lodge allow us to keep trucks/trailers there even if we aren't staying there?

Also, will the trail ride be OK for people with stockers? My wagon is pretty much as capable as it was back in 1961. No less, no more.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

not sure about the rooms. but i am told that the official trail rides of rally are ok for stockers. not sure about overnight, but i believe that during saturday you can park your truck and trailer there. wherever you stay should allow your to park your truck and trailer there i would think. i mean you are paying them.

OK, I was finally able to get a call through to the Red Cliffs Lodge, and they do still have 1 room left they are saving for the rally for $189.95 that is pet friendly. They said it would be alright to park a trailer, but that the trailer would need to be disconnected and parked by the restaurant. It must be the busy season because I had a hard time finding any cheaper hotels with availability. Several hotels in Moab have availability, but they are $200 or over. I researched camping and it all looked first come first served with no reservations, so that availability may be tough unless you get there really early in the morning. I found a room available at the Castle Valley Inn just south of the Red Cliffs Lodge and they said trailer parking was OK, so I booked that. After spending all that money on the hotel, we'll now be cannon balling and sleeping in the back of the truck on the way there and back to save $$$.

Thanks to all the organizers, this looks like a pretty special event!

Also, will the trail ride be OK for people with stockers? My wagon is pretty much as capable as it was back in 1961. No less, no more.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Saturday's official trail ride will be an easy picturesque dirt road that anyone can handle. Your wagon shouldn't have any trouble on the route, assuming everything is in good working order. Cooling systems and fuel systems always seem to be the weak link as it can get hot in Moab during the day.
The Rally trail ride is designed to be mild on purpose, so that everyone can make it back to the BBQ on time. One breakdown and it can become a long day for everyone.

Here's an example of what to expect on Saturday-
13260804_1103302506393444_468953800_n.jpg

11271046_1424999444475220_1260524488_n.jpg

11261958_1399416423718097_1020389139_n.jpg

11328004_830847177001757_285976259_n.jpg

Creek crossings, possible steep grades, cliffy drop-offs, etc. But nothing that a stock rig can't handle.

Before and after the official trail ride, you are on your own or in small groups that you put together yourself, and if you decide to head out on the trails I would expect a more difficult route. The trails get as extreme as you'd like. I've taken my stock '61 wagon on some tough trails, and it hasn't let me down yet... :cheers:.

This is Sparky Powers' wagon coming up the backside of Elephant Hill-
13249693_1205089986198206_158236750_n.jpg

Bill's Parkway on Seven Mile Rim trail-
11280203_587087941431810_752612673_n.jpg

Jim's wagon on Klondike Bluff trail-
10387767_779737445384260_2009510801_n.jpg

Glad you were able to book a room, Moab fills up fast. Every weekend there is one or two events happening and getting a room can be tough.

Pete

Good deal, thanks for sharing the pictures! I'm pretty sure I have all my cooling and fuel system issues sorted out (the hard way). I'm awaiting a front driveshaft to get shipped in so I'll have 4x4, but I need to take a trip up to some washouts as soon as hunting season is over and stress test it before I get out there.

Pete, are you bringing both wagons this year?

Pete, are you bringing both wagons this year?

Going to try, but not sure how it's going to work out... I usually trailer down to Moab, it is about 600 miles one way for me. With two wagons and only one tow rig, we'd have to drive Joseph's wagon to Moab. Or, drive both. Not sure my wagon (or my backside) is up for that long haul but it would be fun.

Pete

On a side note, I've been cleaning out the garage and I'm tired of selling things on craigslist. Would anyone going to the rally be interested in a front and rear axle set from a pickup (Dana 44/25, 4.27 gears, the perches were welded for SOA)? I also have a spare steering shaft assembly with steering gear. They would be free to anyone that will utilize them.

On a side note, I've been cleaning out the garage and I'm tired of selling things on craigslist. Would anyone going to the rally be interested in a front and rear axle set from a pickup (Dana 44/25, 4.27 gears, the perches were welded for SOA)? I also have a spare steering shaft assembly with steering gear. They would be free to anyone that will utilize them.

There is a sort of informal swap meet that happens at the Moab Rally every year, it is hit or miss. You might start a new thread, titled "Moab Rally 2017 Swap Meet" or something like that, and post your wares. Others will chime in too, so that you can try to connect with someone who wants the your stuff before you haul it all the way to Utah.

Pete

Back