GrandWillys Project

Well my friend your hard work and ingenuity has sure come to fruition. Such an incredible piece of craftsmanship. Thank you for your tutorial. Your explanations of What, Why, and how you did each step have been educational for me and probably any one who has followed your story. I also have to say that a picture is worth a million words, so can't count how many million words that would be. HAPPY DRIVING....

Thank you all for sticking by this long drawn out project. :)

Apparently Marcus will have a busy, long winter ahead. Taking it all apart. Making the final parts and changes. Painting and finishing. And re-assembling. Lisa better keep the choc-coffee pot hot! You may even have to host a "body party " to help fit up those big parts.

( My best Jeep buddy spent 6 months in final flat fender parts prep. All fasteners and bumpers chromed, parts powder coated, and the body sent to the painter for finishing with candy apple red lacquer. The paint finally happened only a couple days before leaving on the Rubicon Jeepers Jamboree (1976). Four of us sat on a trailer bringing parts back to the garage with our hands underneath because the paint was still soft. They came off the trailer and right onto the build. We built the body/rollbar/wiring/etc out completely in 24 hours. We rolled a lot of rocks that trip. Nothing touched. It still exists in our close Jeep family. An old school customized looker still. It was a great couple days wrenching pure class.)

Last edited:
Willys2725.jpg

First time out for a drive fully insured and registered.

Willys2726.jpg

First time hitting a 100 as well. Was stable as a rock and could take my hands off the wheel and it tracked straight and true with no vibrations at all.

Willys2728.jpg

Parking up at the Chocolaterie in the Yarra Valley.

Willys2729.jpg

Getting used to reversing as feels strange as my mind wants to park parallel with the door angle, but that doesn't work when you have a wedge shaped cab!

Willys2730.jpg

Willys2731.jpg

Willys2732.jpg

Willys2733.jpg

My wife Lisa even drove it for the very first time! Loved how it handled so well and so easy to drive. This thing feels so planted and doesn't wander at all.

Willys2734.jpg

We thought we would surprise her parents by rocking up in the Willys for the first time as had not told them it had been engineered and registered. Well we didn't fool them and they had even baked a cake to celebrate the occasion!
The trip was a 100 km and it ran faultlessly! :)

Willys2725.jpg

First time out for a drive fully insured and registered.

Willys2726.jpg

First time hitting a 100 as well. Was stable as a rock and could take my hands off the wheel and it tracked straight and true with no vibrations at all.

Willys2728.jpg

Parking up at the Chocolaterie in the Yarra Valley.

Willys2729.jpg

Getting used to reversing as feels strange as my mind wants to park parallel with the door angle, but that doesn't work when you have a wedge shaped cab!

Willys2730.jpg

Willys2731.jpg

Willys2732.jpg

Willys2733.jpg

My wife Lisa even drove it for the very first time! Loved how it handled so well and so easy to drive. This thing feels so planted and doesn't wander at all.

Willys2734.jpg

We thought we would surprise her parents by rocking up in the Willys for the first time as had not told them it had been engineered and registered. Well we didn't fool them and they had even baked a cake to celebrate the occasion!
The trip was a 100 km and it ran faultlessly! :)
That's cheating at 100kph. Now try 100mph. ;)

That's cheating at 100kph. Now try 100mph. ;)
They probably didn't need a tickie on their first day. And as tight as it seems "down there." They might get one in the mail compliments of Google tracking. LOL. Little steps first. Hmmmm. I wonder if they have speed restrictors like we have here on rentals?

They probably didn't need a tickie on their first day. And as tight as it seems "down there." They might get one in the mail compliments of Google tracking. LOL. Little steps first. Hmmmm. I wonder if they have speed restrictors like we have here on rentals?
We are not allowed over 110 kph, (68 mph), in any of our states. Usually only 100 kph, (62 mph), unless a major highway.
We have a 'open' speed limit on one highway in the Northern Territory which is still policed if you are doing something stupid though. Lots of European and Asian car companies test the prototypes there for hot weather high speed data.

Marcus,

After finally being able to put some miles on your pickup, are you convinced that the adaptation of the Grand Cherokee suspension to the Willys frame was worth the effort? I'm SURE it rides better than a stock Willys, but I have a reason for asking.

I just bought a 1994 "regular" Cherokee as a future project. It is running and driving with the 4.0/AW-4 automatic/231 t-case. It actually rides really good, but the steering is a little loose (250K miles). The body is in great shape, other than the usual rocker/floorboard rot and vanishing clear coat. The structure is rust free.

I was looking at the underbody stiffener channels and had all kinds of crazy ideas about separating them from the body, boxing them in, and welding/adapting the whole mess to the underside of a Willys wagon. Alternatively, I could remove the spring/shock towers from the Cherokee and weld them to the Willys frame like you did. The rear suspension is leaf springs, so not much to gain there.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, as you have lived this process and are the best qualified to answer!

Hope you're enjoying the pickup,

Joe

Marcus,

After finally being able to put some miles on your pickup, are you convinced that the adaptation of the Grand Cherokee suspension to the Willys frame was worth the effort? I'm SURE it rides better than a stock Willys, but I have a reason for asking.

I just bought a 1994 "regular" Cherokee as a future project. It is running and driving with the 4.0/AW-4 automatic/231 t-case. It actually rides really good, but the steering is a little loose (250K miles). The body is in great shape, other than the usual rocker/floorboard rot and vanishing clear coat. The structure is rust free.

I was looking at the underbody stiffener channels and had all kinds of crazy ideas about separating them from the body, boxing them in, and welding/adapting the whole mess to the underside of a Willys wagon. Alternatively, I could remove the spring/shock towers from the Cherokee and weld them to the Willys frame like you did. The rear suspension is leaf springs, so not much to gain there.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, as you have lived this process and are the best qualified to answer!

Hope you're enjoying the pickup,

Joe
Well Joe I bought a 95 XJ Cherokee brand new and had one until 4 years ago and can comment on how both rode and handled.
Forsale4.jpg

The XJ had a lot of work done to it over the years to get the best ride and handling out of it. It does not compare to the Willys as far as handling goes as you always get better handling from an independent front end. Ride comes from the rear and I had my XJ working pretty well but still not quite as good as the Willys. The suspension under the KK Liberty that I have is the same setup as the WK Grand Cherokee, I even have its stock springs currently in the back of the Willys. It's ride is better than the Willys though but only because I have changed the springs and run Bilstein shocks. I will later start doing the same to the Willys as well once I have the hard tonneau made and fitted and tried it out towing and decide what final ride heights I want.

Last edited:
Well Joe I bought a 95 XJ Cherokee brand new and had one until 4 years ago and can comment on how both rode and handled.
Forsale4.jpg

The XJ had a lot of work done to it over the years to get the best ride and handling out of it. It does not compare to the Willys as far as handling goes as you always get better handling from an independent front end. Ride comes from the rear and I had my XJ working pretty well but still not quite as good as the Willys. The suspension under the KK Liberty that I have is the same setup as the WK Grand Cherokee, I even have its stock springs currently in the back of the Willys. It's ride is better than the Willys though but only because I have changed the springs and run Bilstein shocks. I will later start doing the same to the Willys as well once I have the hard tonneau made and fitted and tried it out towing and decide what final ride heights I want.
Wow! You did a TON of work to your Cherokee! A LOT of valuable information on your link. Thanks Much!

Back