GrandWillys Project

Between lowering the windshield and chopping the top it looks perfect, that was my favorite part of my Wagon.
You are on a level above all.

You did pretty well at the scrap yard.
I only get $0.04 per pound in the Chicago area.
Oh oops
But yours is Aus dollar
So you didn't do so good - less than 4 cents US.
Oh well
At least you got a few bucks to blow on ice cream or whatever.
:)

You did pretty well at the scrap yard.
I only get $0.04 per pound in the Chicago area.
Oh oops
But yours is Aus dollar
So you didn't do so good - less than 4 cents US.
Oh well
At least you got a few bucks to blow on ice cream or whatever.
:)
Not good is it. :(
Still what I paid for both Willys, plus trailer hire and petrol costs, minus what I sold everything that I didn't need, I am over $3000 in front! :D

Wish I could say the same for the Grand Cherokee donor as there was not a lot to sell once I am done with it. But what I have sold covered the parts I had to buy that I couldn't use from it like the wipers, electric windows, latches etc.

Speaking of selling things, I noticed a few of you guys are into the XJ's as well. I am selling off what if left of my collection this week if anyone is interested in Stompers etc. https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Toys-Ho...82465&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_ssn=gojeepxj

Last edited:
Not looking to hijacking the thread, but wanted to give a shout out to Gojeep about the citric acid bath. Although it was for the Mustang I'm currently re-doing, I made a bath to clean all the rusty parts. Bought the granulated citric acid in bulk [50lbs] and it worked extremely well. My vat was big enough to do the seat springs and rear end housing. I didn't use it for any body parts since the car was at the paint shop when I actually saw the post.

Great tip and great job on the pick up. Following this thread with wide eyes. I can't wait to get the car done so I can start on 50 Wagon.

Sorry for the lack of updates but have changed the URL to every single photo on this entire thread, somewhere around 1700 of them! Then had to do the same on the total of 8 forums this is posted on. Least now I own my own domain name and bought my own server space so I can always show this thread without worrying that the pictures can disappear.
Even been updating this thread while on the high seas above the Arctic Circle off the coast of Norway! Will be back in about a month as been holidaying in Denmark as well and still have a lot of hiking to do in the south of Norway and even camping and hiking on glaciers in Greenland. That will be followed by climbing active volcanoes in Iceland and soaking in thermal pools inside a lava tube if all goes well!

Anyway my new website is http://willyshotrod.com
Can't believe I got that! It has this build on it.

Those that followed my Cherokee website of http://go.jeep-xj.info it will soon be closed down and is replaced by http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com

Cheers all and thank you all for the encouragement and advice given along the way. Made the effort of saving this thread worthwhile.

Gojeep,
Thanks for sharing. A huge amount of work to put the sites together, and VERY helpful mods!
Yes, I have a XJ 1999 (my better half's) with only 37K on the odometer. I have a TJ 1999 (my daily driver and shop truck). I also have the '55 Willy's JKU in my build thread (my future shop truck.) Your mods on the XJ are very transferable, and useful - Thanks!

GoJeep, that's awesome, thanks for sharing that. I always wondered if you had more info on your XJ. One question, will you continue to update this thread, or is the intent to swap to your website to reduce the number of places you have to update? I have thoroughly enjoyed this build, and receiving email updates as you post is a welcome sight.

Sorry for the lack of updates but have changed the URL to every single photo on this entire thread, somewhere around 1700 of them! Then had to do the same on the total of 8 forums this is posted on. Least now I own my own domain name and bought my own server space so I can always show this thread without worrying that the pictures can disappear.
Even been updating this thread while on the high seas above the Arctic Circle off the coast of Norway! Will be back in about a month as been holidaying in Denmark as well and still have a lot of hiking to do in the south of Norway and even camping and hiking on glaciers in Greenland. That will be followed by climbing active volcanoes in Iceland and soaking in thermal pools inside a lava tube if all goes well!

Anyway my new website is http://willyshotrod.com
Can't believe I got that! It has this build on it.

Those that followed my Cherokee website of http://go.jeep-xj.info it will soon be closed down and is replaced by http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com

Cheers all and thank you all for the encouragement and advice given along the way. Made the effort of saving this thread worthwhile.

Marcus-

Thanks for taking the time to keep this threat updated, I know it is a huge amount of time and effort. Your build thread is the most read thread on the forum, currently at 265,594 views... Impressive!

Pete

Hi Marcus. Thanks for all your time and effort that You put into your Project and your Build Log. We have Both LOST our entire Build Logs in that Previous Builder's Site ('C.D.'), I don't name them as I don't want to Promote those Idiots that 'changed' their Format of the Build Logs from reading them Sequentially "Like a Book" to RANDOM, making the build logs Unreadable. They even didn't match the Pictures to their Documentation. You do amazing work Marcus and I too have enjoyed reading and keeping in tune with your latest work and progress. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product of your project and all of your Future Projects too! Some day if you ever come to the States on Vacation (again), I hope that we can Meet! Safe Travels on your current Vac and have fun! Take Care, John (aka: Pivnic)

Hi Marcus. Thanks for all your time and effort that You put into your Project and your Build Log. We have Both LOST our entire Build Logs in that Previous Builder's Site ('C.D.'), I don't name them as I don't want to Promote those Idiots that 'changed' their Format of the Build Logs from reading them Sequentially "Like a Book" to RANDOM, making the build logs Unreadable. They even didn't match the Pictures to their Documentation. You do amazing work Marcus and I too have enjoyed reading and keeping in tune with your latest work and progress. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product of your project and all of your Future Projects too! Some day if you ever come to the States on Vacation (again), I hope that we can Meet! Safe Travels on your current Vac and have fun! Take Care, John (aka: Pivnic)

Thanks mate for your support along the way too. I still had photos linked to the old build site so had to download them to host them on the new server.
We will be in the US again in February actually but not in your state. I'll be in New Mexico while my wife attends a conference there before we go to the Caribbean.

I appreciate the efforts you put into your build log. I have benefited from your posts many times. If you ever get up to visit Yellowstone National Park in your travels, look me up. I'm right next door. Looks like you're currently having a good time as well. Norway is on my bucket list.

Willys1203.jpg

Searched for a while for replacement door handles to suit new bear claw latches which are much safer than the old 70 year old stock ones.

Willys1204.jpg

Needed extra clearance for the handle link inside to clear the window, so decided that raising the mounting area to the height of the ribs worked best. The new handle didn't fit between them anyway.

Willys1205.jpg

Made the patch clear the old hole and move it inwards at the same time.

Willys1206.jpg

Welded in. Moving the handle inwards means the mounting pad lines up with the end of the existing ribs and moved the link over the glass rather than on top of the glass channel for more clearance.

Willys1207.jpg

After hours of searching I ended up choosing some die-cast chrome handles I had spare imported for my XJ Jeep Cherokee to replace the plastic ones it had.

Willys1208.jpg

Used the handle's gasket to mark out the hole needed.

Willys1209.jpg

Holes cutout and hole drilled for the stud at the other end.

Willys1210.jpg

Need to build a mounting pad for this end too and do something about the centre rib.

Willys1211.jpg

I thought shortening the rib was the best thing as gives more clearance for the knuckles.

Willys1213.jpg

I had cut a slot up the middle of the rib and then hammered it down do get rid of the excess material. The slot closed right up once flat, so then just welded it closed. A new mounting pad for the handle will be added after cutting out the area in the same way as the other end.

Willys1214.jpg

As it was hard to planish the area flat after welding, so I made up this dolly to suit out of some scrap.

Willys1215.jpg

Laying the door over on a trestle, I could just hammer down on the dolly to flatten the two mounting pads.

Willys1216.jpg

Think the size and squareness of the handle suits the door.

Willys1217.jpg

The slightly bigger size suits the proportions of the bigger than stock door as well.

Willys1218.jpg

Can see how the rib removal behind the handle works well for the knuckle clearance.

I like that Marcus!! Came out great.

Back