Jan 10, 2010
Victoria Australia
First Name
Marcus
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
This project has been brewing in my head for many years and been slowing gather parts and building a workshop and sheds to be able to do it.

The plan is to build a bit of a hotrod from using all the running gear, wiring, instruments, seats etc for one donor vehicle as much as possible.

Willys1.jpg

Back in December 2007 I bought a Willys Pickup off eBay but it was a year before I got it home as had nowhere to store it. After much jumping through hoops with the council I built my workshop to house it.

WHgrand4.jpg

WHgrand5.jpg

After much looking and watching insurance auctions I was finally able to get a donor for the project. Ended up with a 2008 WH/WK Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi. It was first registered in 2009 and 12 months later T boned by a Harley rider doing a 100 mph! Hit it so hard that the foot well locked the throttle and he steered off the road into a paddock until he hit a tree.

WHgrand4a.jpg

One day these two will become one.

WHgrand19a.jpg

Getting the Grand into the workshop.

WHgrand19b.jpg

The Grand is in place ready for lots of measurements and then the strip down can begin!

WHgrand7.jpg

Got a start on the project this week. Started by taking every measurement I could think of so I can setup all the suspension under the Willys when it gets transferred across. Also been labeling every wiring plug that I have found so far. Done the whole engine bay and have it all disconnected ready for removing once I can get to the others ends of the harness under the dash. Also unbolted every panel that can come off and removed the seats.

WHgrand8.jpg

Being careful not to damage any of the trim when taking it apart in case I can sell any that I don't use.

WHgrand10.jpg

Still go a few more things like the chrome roof bars, rear bumper and tail-lights to go outside.

WHgrand11.jpg

Airbag under the dash cover was quite fiddly to get out.

WHgrand13.jpg

What it looks like under the dash with the top cover off. Going to be fun getting all that into my Willys Pickup later.

WHgrand21.jpg

Got the steering column out today along with the centre console and shifter. Just untangling the dash harness and labeling it all.

WHgrand21a.jpg

Got my first chunk of wiring harness out.
This is just part of the under dash section!

WHgrand22.jpg

The is the main dash member that just unbolts. It supports the steering column and all the heater/AC parts as well as the radio/navigation and heater controls etc.
Planning to install the whole thing into the Willys so I can bolt everything to it like it was in the Grand.

WHgrand23a.jpg

Starting to look a lot less in there now.

WHgrand23.jpg

Got all the lining off the sides and seats belts etc out today plus the carpet. More time labeling everything as well. Still have the roof console and lining left to do up top and the HVAC system before I can remove more wiring.

Last edited:
Re: Willys PU + WK Grand = Hotrod

Mock up time.
This is as low as I can get the front down and the upper wishbone not hit the underside of the front guard and with shorter springs on the struts ( technically coil overs as it has upper and lower wishbones for location ) and still have a decent ride. That is 2.5" lower than stock. I have just placed the Grand's wheels on there hoping the 30" tall tyres would fill the guards enough but not sure they have? Also working out the placement of the front wheel.

Willys1a.jpg

This is 1" further back than stock.

Willys1b.jpg

Front wheel in stock location

Willys1c.jpg

Front wheel 1" forward of stock location

Willys1d.jpg

Close up of wheel 1" back from stock.

Willys1e.jpg

Close up of wheel stock in stock location

Willys1f.jpg

Close up of wheel 1" forward from stock.

Last edited:

Save another Willy's down under...look's like you will have your work cut out for you, what a puzzle! The Willys look's like its is in super shape, I like those mirror braces...you could hang your laundry on them. Scape metal in Georgia is US$12.00 per hundred weight, so the donor still as some value when you are done striping her.
Stay Safe!

Great Plan!!!

I wish I was able to pull a huge transformation off like that, but I will use what I have and enjoy getting beat up riding down the road on the 50 year old suspension set up. Plus I have the factory bench seats to keep me bouncing around inside.

Keep us posted.

Eric

Nice project, while you're moving the wheels and tires all around to get the look that you want don't forget about the most important wheel, the steering wheel. Move it from the right side to the left side where it belongs :mrgreen:

Few more mock up photos

Willys1g.jpg

Willys1h.jpg

Willys1i.jpg

This is with my trailer wheel and tyres fitted. They are a 235x80x17 ( 31.8") instead of the Grand's in 245x65x17 (29.5") in the other photos before this.

Willys1j.jpg

This is the stock axle location as well.

Willys1k.jpg

Willys1l.jpg

Think the tall skinny look works well with the old truck and hotrod look I am going for.

Last edited:

Would you look at the chrome on that front bumper....I want the front bumper....shines like a diamond!

Had a go with Photoshop for the first time to see how the things I have planned for the body will look on an image I found on the net.
WHgrand25a.jpg

Here is the original photo untouched of a stock Willys apart from the wider tyres.

WHgrand25b.jpg

Here I have widened the cab 6" and added an extra pair of lights in the grille.
One set will be for parkers and the other indicators.
I already have the lights to fit and are LED and look clear until powered up.
WHgrand25c.jpg

Here I have pancaked the roof or flattened it. The stock roof height looks a little bulbous to me.

WHgrand25c.jpg

Checking out what it looks like with a roof chop and the roof pancaked.

Last edited:
Re: Willys PU + WK Grand build

WHgrand36.jpg

The last of the interior wiring finally out. :) I have filled a whole 55 litre tub with just the interior wiring alone and have none of the under bonnet and floor stuff yet. And that does not include another tub I have been filling with the different ECU's, modules etc.

WHgrand14.jpg

This is the whole heater, A/C unit as well. Hoping to re-use that as is.

WHgrand35.jpg

Just a shell now. Only a bit is some firewall insulation left which will come out once I unbolt the brake pedal which has the booster and master cylinder on the other side. Hand brake will come out once I loosen off the cable inside the rear rotors as no adjustment anywhere else.

WHgrand35a.jpg

Got the rear frame unbolted. Might think about using it in the Willys as it is also the mount for the panhard bar, tow bar, two exhaust hangers and the charcoal canister. The spare wheel also sit inside it.

WHgrand35b.jpg

Got the rear bumper off too as well as the chrome roof rails and petrol filler. Everything is ready for it to sit up high on stands so the drive train strip can begin. :)

Last edited:

mmmmm that's one big DOG! and are all garages in Aussie Land that clean & organized? :lol:

Had to know just how much clearance I needed between the top of the Grand's wishbone and the underside of the guard. Cant just measure it as you dont know how much the bumpstop is going to compress. So I thought the best way was to drop it 1.5 foot off a engine crane and see have much it compressed some Blutac I built up on top of the wishbone.
Did it a number of times and filmed the last one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIt4YgxauDU

The strip continues.

WHgrand35c.jpg

Stainless 2.75" exhaust and fuel tank is out.
Huge muffler makes it way too quiet so won't be using it.

WHgrand35d.jpg

Cut the windscreen out. Then cut it up with my 9" grinder with a diamond blade. Next time though I will wear more than just shorts and sandals as was picking out the glass splinters from under my toes!

WHgrand35e.jpg

Like the arms on the rear axle. Nice and strong with decent sized bushes. Glad the arms are not the pressed tin ones.

WHgrand35f.jpg

Back end is clear of everything now. I can pick the whole rear up quite easily with all the weight of the engine forward of the front stands.

Last edited:

I believe if I was doing mine again, I would buy a donor vehicle, you have done a great jon dismantling, however if the garage doesn't have that has been taken apart, what's the back yard l;ook like? And as far as the huge muffler....make a BBQ Grill out of it....keep posting with pic's....it look's fantastic so far.

I agree a donor vehicle would have been nice, but still would be up against the fun of body work.... Regardless.

keep it up though

:cheers:

Eric

Nice start GOJEEP! Keep posting with pics of your progress. I will be watching your project come together. It's a good move to use as much stuff from the donor vehicle as possible, and to label every thing! My project is getting close to "Start Your Engine Time". Check out my build log at: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3805815/1 ... lys-pickup. Good luck with your build!! It's great that another Willys Truck is being saved!

62 OlllO said:
I believe if I was doing mine again, I would buy a donor vehicle, you have done a great jon dismantling, however if the garage doesn't have that has been taken apart, what's the back yard l;ook like? And as far as the huge muffler....make a BBQ Grill out of it....keep posting with pic's....it look's fantastic so far.

My workshop is my whole backyard! All the stuff that came off it is in another shed I built recently for the purpose. Later on when this is finished, my camper trailer will go in the new shed and the Willys in the single garage where it sits now.

Here some photos of what I am talking about.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... ee38c07e2f

Anyone on here that wants more detail than what I am putting up here can see it on my Facebook. Just send a friend request as always happy to have more Jeeping friends. :)

Probably a bit early to think about this but was asked what colour I was thinking of doing it.
Still undecided but want to use a Willys or Jeep colour to keep it 'in the family'.
Looking at maybe at the new 2011 Wrangler.
jp011006wr.jpg

or the Jeep Rescue colour.
jeep_rescue_04.jpg

or a darker green in the Comanche concept.
2005-jeep-gladiator-conce-2_800x0w.jpg

I kinda like that Rescue color, but it's a bit on the glitzy side. Maybe if it were toned down a bit, it would look really sharp on your rig.
Steve

Back