Jeep has been sitting over 20 yearsThis

e72a8ce7a47302bd866816bf656e6bbc.jpg

Just putting some more pictures up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_4672.JPG
4918bd6761c36deae328eae97a962e50.jpg

Here is the engine number. Right where the studebaker site said it would be. Any ideas on how to apply this number to the engine Identification site? I see some numbers that are close. I don't have experience with this and hope I don't sound too much like a donk

0b6c2d80e0b2b663e49d26d37c7e1be7.jpg

Now it makes more sense. I just had to show the entire number!

1954 commander 5h. ????

0b6c2d80e0b2b663e49d26d37c7e1be7.jpg

Now it makes more sense. I just had to show the entire number!

1954 commander 5h. ????

232ci V8. Made for sale in the 1954 Studebaker Commander 5h, but studebaker would do anything for a buck back in the day, so who knows what it really came under the hood of.

Last edited:
232ci V8. Made for sale in the 1954 Studebaker Commander 5h, but steed baker would do anything for a buck back in the day, so who knows what it really came under the hood of.

I'll post as I get into it. Hope it will run.

later on it was punched out to 289 cubes, and Packard / AMC (327) also used it. They were good engines.
232ci V8. Made for sale in the 1954 Studebaker Commander 5h, but studebaker would do anything for a buck back in the day, so who knows what it really came under the hood of.

I'm happy that you have found info on your engine.

Master of unfinished projects

Me too. My friend is going to help me set up a jig and bring the top back to life. I told him it doesn't have to be pretty since I am going to keep the look just like it is.

The engine, I will probably tackle that first. Work seems to get in the way. I also don't have a shop just yet. But really don't need one, just no rain on my days off!

It is under tarp right now and we are getting nailed on the west coast with a big storm. When it lets up I will take some photos.

A year later? Still sitting under my tarp.

But I have a plan. Slow but surely it will come back to life! I’ve never undertaken a project like this and I think intimidation and coupled with lack of knowledge are what is holding me back.

Got a hold of a friend with a backyard shop. I think we will try to get it running as is and if there are problems we are talking about another engine.

My goal is to keep it looking like it is but have a strong and reliable rig.

A year later? Still sitting under my tarp.

But I have a plan. Slow but surely it will come back to life! I’ve never undertaken a project like this and I think intimidation and coupled with lack of knowledge are what is holding me back.

Got a hold of a friend with a backyard shop. I think we will try to get it running as is and if there are problems we are talking about another engine.

My goal is to keep it looking like it is but have a strong and reliable rig.

My 18 year old is now in the Air Force and it will be great for my 14 year old and I to work together at my friends place. I blew it with getting in it and spending time with my 18 year old his last year here. Unfortunately his interest was in a girl! Glad he went in the Air Force!

I recently fired up a firebird that sat for 20 years....and it ran like a champ.

It's all in the prep.

Have you turned over the engine yet? If not, don't yet.....there's a few things first to do.

If you want some advice, I'd love to share.....if you're good....please post for us.

Get that V8 out of there! You don't need that much power, and you run the risk of breaking stuff that isn't designed to handle the V8. I run the original 134 cu flathead 4 in my '47 and I have never run out of power.

The Stude engine may have a considerable higher value for a Stude guy allowing you the funds to put in a good L134, depending on what tranny is in place,Parts are not cheap for it but they are available, sometimes you can find good used as they were in more than just jeep products, Jim W

Last edited:
Save yourself lots of work. Put a wrench on the motor first see if it spins. Then if it does change out your oil, plugs,etc. Good luck with the fuel lines.
diggerG

Back