Thread: Ramblin' Rose - 1963 Willys Pickup

First Name
    John
    Year
    1957 1963
    Model
    Wagon Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for your loss. I know that all the paperwork and closure of it is a lot of work. Getting to Work on your Willys now will also help you get through the aftermath of all you've been through. Pivnic

Sharpest-Tool
    First Name
    bekasu
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    I now have funds saved up and focus to get back to the last 3 mechanical details.

What I don't have is confidence.

May I have your recommendations on my next efforts?

1. Brakes
    I have not worked on brakes before.. ever. I wouldn't call myself a novice, but rather a blank slate for this next effort.
    I have my manuals and have read them looking at the grainy black and white pictures.
    I have read through threads here trying to understand what to do next, but I still feel unprepared.

What I have done before: Identified the threads are indeed reversed on one side of the vehicle. I have successfully removed lugnuts and swapped the tires for ones that generally hold air. New tires are still waiting on funding.

BRAKE QUESTIONS:
    Do I need to pull every wheel and hub to see what kind of brake is being used on each one? So 4 jack stands and support for the vehicle while I figure this out?
    I'm working under a shade tree. Do I need to cover the brakes with a trashbag and duct tape til parts come in?
    If things are rusted (which I expect they will be), do I need to sandblast (or baking soda blast) the area the brakes sit in (sorry I don't know what to call that area) before I put on new brakes?
    Or should I just purchase all new whatever it is that makes up a braking system?

My FEAR: I don't do this right and my nephew (16 - new driver) stomps the brakes and winds up in the stock tank or hitting a tree. This suddenly seems so very real now that I know a novice driver will be using the truck at the farm (not on the highway).

2. Brake Line
    BRAKE LINE QUESTION:
    I've used my recently acquired, new cardboard and laid under the truck looking at the brake lines. Very Zen...
    I noticed there were two spots that look like the line was dented pretty significantly by (probably) hitting rocks or perhaps running over some old metal in the field - by the prior owner.
    Do I test the line before reusing? Should I just replace the lines and then see if something leaks?

My FEAR: I get everything done at the wheels and then have another big time delay sorting out the line connections and wind up having to remove/rejigger (is that a word?) the brakes/hubs again. And of course, the possibility of failure to stop.

3. Fuel Line
    FUEL LINE QUESTION:
    Do I just use metal brake line for the fuel line?
    I've read so many articles on line about fuel lines and I just don't want to run rubber racing line the full length of the vehicle. My brain tells me metal would be better but every single curve in this vehicle has a rubber section about 6 inches long. There must be at least 6 places the metal is spliced. Surely that can't be right. (I know, don't call me Shirley).

Then there is the flare/double flare question.
    I've never flared a line before, much less double flared a line.
    Is it pretty obvious when you get it right/wrong? Or is this one of those things that you are riding along and burst into flames if you get it wrong? Less dramatically, could I be driving along 2 miles from the house in he back field and just stop moving cause all the remaining fuel tank gas has leaked away?

I haven't finished my first cup of tea for the day so I'm fuzzy.
    Also, the clothes dryer heating element failed yesterday and I had 2 loads of wet clothes to deal with last night; then 40 minutes of fiddling with the thing to get the heating element out of the dryer. Yep, its toast- corroded from the 20 years of service.
    I'm looking for that part now.

Long-winded this morning, but I'm appreciative of your guidance.
    JW
    Last edited by justwondering; 05-16-2018 at 07:48 AM.

3. Likes scramboleer liked this post
    First Name
    Dale
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most likely the brake backing plate (where the brakes ride) will be rusty. You can sand blast and paint this area as I did but I fully expect that the rust will return within short order due to hot brake shoe material flying around and destroying the finish quite quickly. As for the hardware, personally I would replace it all unless you open the drums and everything looks like it was redone very recently. You can get the stock shoes from Napa and the hardware from Walck's 4WD. This is just for stock items of course and there are many conversions to more modern or even self adjusting drums used on later vehicles. If the concept of your nephew driving it and maybe not understanding the original brakes aren't for high speed maneuvers the conversions may be best for you.

As for the lines I would replace every single one. Why chance this old girl blowing a line somewhere for the sake of a few dollars and hours of time? While you are at it you may want to update the master cylinder again for safety with your nephew. Get a dual reservoir master for the front and rear brakes vs the single reservoir that may be present on it if it is stock.

Just some general ideas to ponder.

Bigger Hammer
    First Name
    mark
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    May i ask you what master cylinder you found to replace your single cylinder and upgrade to a duel cylinder,,,

First Name
    Dale
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like