Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Randy's 1950 Wagon Project

First Name
    Randy
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm waiting on parts so I started working on my hood again. It has a sag in the middle that is about 1/4 inch low in the middle of the center riser. With a straight edge laying on the center of the hood it touches in the front and back but in the middle it is low. If I move the straight edge to the outside of the hood top it is level.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks, Randy

20171204_165741.jpg20171204_165643.jpg

First Name
    Marcus
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes mine did that too if not worse. I show how I fixed it in my thread by standing on it!
    http://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/...Project/page96

First Name
    Randy
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Marcus, looks like I will be taking the hood back to bare metal and trying your technique and see if I can get it back to the correct shape.

Randy

4. Likes Gojeep liked this post
    First Name
    Marcus
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
    Thanks Marcus, looks like I will be taking the hood back to bare metal and trying your technique and see if I can get it back to the correct shape.

Randy
    What I was hoping you would do rather than use more filler than needed. Specially on the hood which flexes a lot.

If it doesn't work using your foot, you can also turn it upside down with the centre rib over a length of steel or hard timber, and use a wide brick layers bolster in the back side of the rib and hit it gently with a mallet working your way along. Start only where the worse of the bend is first before checking.

6. Likes scramboleer, Bill Kuran, indian john liked this post
    First Name
    Randy
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
    What I was hoping you would do rather than use more filler than needed. Specially on the hood which flexes a lot.

If it doesn't work using your foot, you can also turn it upside down with the centre rib over a length of steel or hard timber, and use a wide brick layers bolster in the back side of the rib and hit it gently with a mallet working your way along. Start only where the worse of the bend is first before checking.
    I would not have thought of that but it's probably what it will take to get the center rib back to where it should be so I can then raise the area beside it.
    I figured you had a good idea on how to resolve the issue.
    Thanks for your expertise!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

8. Likes scramboleer liked this post
    First Name
    Randy
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have a chisel that wide so I ground down a piece of scrap metal to match the shape of the hood riser channel. Tried laying the hood on a 2x4 but the wood absorbed all the force, so I laid the hood on the concrete and that did the trick. I started at one end and proceeded down the entire channel several times hitting it lightly checking the progress as I went. The center of the hood raised up 1/4" or so to be perfectly level. Still need to do some additional work on the rest of the hood to get it level. Have ordered a heat shrinking disk and plan to give that a try. Thanks again Marcus!

20171206_130913.jpg

First Name
    Marcus
    Year
    Model
    Pickup
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent and glad it worked for you mate.

First Name
    Randy
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today I used a shrinking disk for the first time on my hood. The disk came with some instructions on how to use it, but stated that it is not a "magic tool." They lied. It is magic! With the paint removed on the top and bottom of the hood, I used the disk to raise and lower the metal on both sides until I got it back in shape. Having never used one before, I'm amazed at what you do by shrinking the metal! By using a hammer, my foot, and the shrinking disk, the hood looks pretty good. It will still need some filler, but only a skim coat to fill the imperfections. A week ago, I was ready to give up on the hood and see if I could locate a better one.

Thanks for the help that this forum offers!!

12. Likes Broken Wagon, Gojeep, commando_willys liked this post
    First Name
    Randy
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Received some of the parts that I ordered, so I installed the front clip on the body so that I could install the brake booster, master cylinder and brake pedal assembly. I tried to get everything right, but with the booster mounted where I wanted it to go, the brake pedal was a little too short and too close to the gas pedal. The pedal has some adjustment on the mounting, but with it moved far to the driver's side, the mounting bolt and nut were visible and it was still a little too high. To resolve this issue, the brake arm needed to be lengthened and moved to the left about 3 inches so I made an extension out of aluminum first to get an idea and once I liked the position, one was made from steel and welded in. It's in a much better location now.

20171207_171033.jpg20171207_171046.jpg20171207_171320.jpg20171211_132752.jpg

14. Likes Broken Wagon, commando_willys liked this post
    First Name
    Duane
    Year
    Model
    Wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
    Today I used a shrinking disk for the first time on my hood. The disk came with some instructions on how to use it, but stated that it is not a "magic tool." They lied. It is magic! With the paint removed on the top and bottom of the hood, I used the disk to raise and lower the metal on both sides until I got it back in shape. Having never used one before, I'm amazed at what you do by shrinking the metal! By using a hammer, my foot, and the shrinking disk, the hood looks pretty good. It will still need some filler, but only a skim coat to fill the imperfections. A week ago, I was ready to give up on the hood and see if I could locate a better one.

Thanks for the help that this forum offers!!
    My thoughts exactly. The shrinking disc is magic and this forum is the best.

So glad that your bodywork us coming along.

Duane

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Broken Wagon; Yesterday at 12:13 AM.