Oct 13, 2020
Hastings mn
First Name
Jim
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
I think I asked about this once but can't find it now... Dan/@Pete, any chance to start a thread on the various motors for the Willys world? L134/, F134, all the 6 cyl options etc.

Seems hard to find engine specific questions sometimes as they get buried in the model threads.

Just a thought.

Bitz

I think I asked about this once but can't find it now... Dan/@Pete, any chance to start a thread on the various motors for the Willys world? L134/, F134, all the 6 cyl options etc.

Seems hard to find engine specific questions sometimes as they get buried in the model threads.

Just a thought.

Bitz
I’ve given this some thought over the years. When he set it up, Pete probably never imagined how large and important this forum would become. With a relatively small number of participants, it made more sense to have more conversations in fewer rooms, hence the logic of grouping by models.

If one were to start over now, it might make sense to organize a little differently, with sub-forums for major components shared across the Willys platform — an engine forum with sub-forums for the L4-134, F4-134, L6-226, etc. Similarly for transmissions, transfer cases, differentials, suspension, instruments, etc. There could also be sub forums for common conversion components. As it is, someone working on an FC or a Jeepster who has a question about his engine or transmission may get more feedback by venturing into the forum for wagons and pickups.

At this point, though, it would be a major organizational change requiring a lot of work, and Scramboleer would forever be trying to figure out where old threads belong, so the juice may not be worth the squeeze.

Meanwhile, the search functions here and via google work pretty well.

I’ve given this some thought over the years. When he set it up, Pete probably never imagined how large and important this forum would become. With a relatively small number of participants, it made more sense to have more conversations in fewer rooms, hence the logic of grouping by models.

If one were to start over now, it might make sense to organize a little differently, with sub-forums for major components shared across the Willys platform — an engine forum with sub-forums for the L4-134, F4-134, L6-226, etc. Similarly for transmissions, transfer cases, differentials, suspension, instruments, etc. There could also be sub forums for common conversion components. As it is, someone working on an FC or a Jeepster who has a question about his engine or transmission may get more feedback by venturing into the forum for wagons and pickups.

At this point, though, it would be a major organizational change requiring a lot of work, and Scramboleer would forever be trying to figure out where old threads belong, so the juice may not be worth the squeeze.

Meanwhile, the search functions here and via google work pretty well.
Thanks Kurt. I would suggest not trying to move old threads as I agree that would be a pain. But if possible to go forward with as you mention some new ones for trannys and engines with subs. I do struggle finding stuff for the L134 in the search

This all said, I have no idea this effort so maybe Dan and Pete can provide that feedback

While we are on the topic of L134 and F134 engines:
I was exchanging some shop talk with the "then" machinist who used to build these engines years ago for wholesale to retailer's.
I was mentioning I have two GPW engine blocks with suspect water jacket cracks needing repair. Two choices, weld or pin.

Note - he said many times he has sleeved the dizzy hole in the block because the freeze expansion will fracture the block casting, then coolant will seep thru the fracture, and into the oil down the distributor hole. In my mind, this is a good TIP that should be noted somewhere.
There are probably bunches of 134 engine blocks with water jacket cracks.

Back