serial numbers on a 1950 (I think) Willys sedan delivery

attachment.php
Tom, At this point I'd guess a 1951 and call it good. By the way, nice truck!

My guess is this........It was made in Toledo and sold in 1951..

But, do I see the ghost of a brass medallion on the lower cowl?? Look for two
holes in this area...AND, I am now totally confused.

Attachments

• 20160224_123442.jpg
    20160224_123442.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
You've been a great help. What makes you think this was made in Toledo? I will keep all posted with pictures as I put this Delivery together. Any info on when and where the planar front end was started and stopped?

You've been a great help. What makes you think this was made in Toledo? I will keep all posted with pictures as I put this Delivery together. Any info on when and where the planar front end was started and stopped?

Just based on the delivery's current location I guessed it was made in Ohio.. Trucks and station
wagons were ASSEMBLED in Maywood, Ca. between 1948 and 1954 (Maywood plant closed).
The assembly plant location (Maywood) resulted in some odd non current production features
on the vehicles produced there...Like last year's speedo, small back window, fixed wing window etc..

The planar front end was used from 1946 to 1955.. (according to WA's parts book).

Nope I wasn't joking... In the early 1950's my father pointed out the factory
where our station wagon was made.. They were still making cars and trucks
back then...We did "upgrade" to a Ford car when my grandfather died..Dad
liked the Willys station wagon but it was too slow on the highway..
attachment.php

This photo is from 1949. Dad, my baby brother and me with our Willys wagon.

Attachments

• WillysIV001_zpsd9ac4382.jpg
    WillysIV001_zpsd9ac4382.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Just based on the delivery's current location I guessed it was made in Ohio.. Trucks and station
wagons were ASSEMBLED in Maywood, Ca. between 1948 and 1954 (Maywood plant closed).
The assembly plant location (Maywood) resulted in some odd non current production features
on the vehicles produced there...Like last year's speedo, small back window, fixed wing window etc..

The planar front end was used from 1946 to 1955.. (according to WA's parts book).

Cool history @Blindmelon. Thanks for sharing.

:cheers:
Nope I wasn't joking... In the early 1950's my father pointed out the factory
where our station wagon was made.. They were still making cars and trucks
back then...We did "upgrade" to a Ford car when my grandfather died..Dad
liked the Willys station wagon but it was too slow on the highway..
attachment.php

This photo is from 1949. Dad, my baby brother and me with our Willys wagon.
Hi Larry, I had to laugh at your photo, crying back then but I know you are smiling today with your rig. And she is a sweet thing. You are so lucky my friend to have that piece of history with you today! A great photo, thanks for the background, Mike.:cheers:

My 1951 Willys Overland sedan delivery has a serial number that doesn't fit the " only 3 made" numbers. On the tag, still attached inside the door, t is 451-CA1 14254 ??? These don't match anything that I've researched. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. The vehicle matches a 1951 in all of the "tests" except the sequence numbers. Can anyone help me out? I'm planning on applying for a new title, and I want to make sure I have the right year etc.

My 1951 Willys Overland sedan delivery has a serial number that doesn't fit the " only 3 made" numbers. On the tag, still attached inside the door, t is 451-CA1 14254 ??? These don't match anything that I've researched. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. The vehicle matches a 1951 in all of the "tests" except the sequence numbers. Can anyone help me out? I'm planning on applying for a new title, and I want to make sure I have the right year etc.
I'm not aware that Willys put tags on the doors.
Could it be an assigned California tag?

Here's a factory bulletin showing some serial number locations

Attachments

• Serial number locations.jpg
    Serial number locations.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 6
Back