Apr 30, 2024
Idaho
First Name
George
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
New guy here. Just picked up a 1960 CJ-5. Had a '65 about 30 years ago, regretted selling it.

The main use I plan for it is as a woods rig. Need to start figuring out what I want to do to it. One of the mods I did to my '65 was a drum brake conversion, went from 9 x 1 1/2 to 11 x 2. Thinking that and the emergency brake rebuild.

Here's a basic pic:
1960.jpg

One of the things I bought all those years ago was 2 pair of Con-ferr shackles. I couldn't install them on my '65, so I just hung onto them. I believe they provided 2 inches of lift. I intend to install them, once I dig them out of storage. I think I may also have a set of Rancho shock absorbers bought at the time for the lift, not sure if I still have them.

New guy here. Just picked up a 1960 CJ-5. Had a '65 about 30 years ago, regretted selling it. The main use I plan for it is as a woods rig. Need to start figuring out what I want to do to it. One of the mods I did to my '65 was a drum brake conversion, went from 9 x 1 1/2 to 11 x 2. Thinking that and the emergency brake rebuild. Here's a basic pic.
Welcome. Nice looking

Welcome. Congrats on your new project!
Very clean looking CJ. Is it completely stock or is there a different engine/drivetrain? From it's stance, I would say the suspension is looking just fine without a lift. I like that hard top as well, looks to be in good shape. Any idea who made it?
When you say "woods rig" : hunting, exploring or just cruising around?
@Stakebed asked what part of Idaho you're in. FYI, the creator of this forum( @Pete ) lives in Hailey and he is sponsoring a rally called "Run For The Hills" this June up in Stanley. If your Jeep is up and running you might consider joining in. Nothing radical, mainly dirt trails and FS roads.

Welcome. Congrats on your new project!
Very clean looking CJ. Is it completely stock or is there a different engine/drivetrain? From it's stance, I would say the suspension is looking just fine without a lift. I like that hard top as well, looks to be in good shape. Any idea who made it?
When you say "woods rig" : hunting, exploring or just cruising around?
@Stakebed asked what part of Idaho you're in. FYI, the creator of this forum( @Pete ) lives in Hailey and he is sponsoring a rally called "Run For The Hills" this June up in Stanley. If your Jeep is up and running you might consider joining in. Nothing radical, mainly dirt trails and FS roads.
Ah, OK, CDA. Had to borrow a friend with a truck and trailer to go fetch her. Needs some work before I unleash her on the world. Woods rig would be for hunting and exploring, lot's of nice mountains here in the Eastern Washington, North Idaho, Western Montana area. Want to add a small trailer for gear, load the pooch and head out.

Back