Feb 13, 2016
SW Ohio
First Name
Thad
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
Looking for opinions on your spark plugs. Not interested in the irredium coated enkonel infused 4 prong plugs your uncle got for you stashed in his lunchbox while working in Nascar garages. Simple OEM type plug that replaces the old Autolite A7 or Champion j8.

I like Motorcraft as they’re still available in black oxide finish.
Edit: not sure if this is still true. I suspect Motorcraft are just relabeled Autolites.

Last edited:

I've used AC45, Motocraft A7, and Autolite 295 in 134's and 226's, but primarily the Champion J8 and now J8C.

this cross reference chart is a little confusing. It lists the J8C as an equivlant of the J8, (another source says that the temperature ranges aren't exactly the same) but the list of equvalants for the J8 is much smaller than the list for J8C. Edit; I can't post it all in one posting, in fact, It won't let me post the J8C chart at all so here's the link https://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/convert/CHAMP_PN/J8C

Champion J8 replacement spark plugs

Last edited:
I like Motorcraft as they’re still available in black oxide finish.
Edit: not sure if this is still true. I suspect Motorcraft are just relabeled Autolites.
Just replaced the E-3s with ACDelco plugs and they have a black finish. The #3 and 4 plugs had a red stain on the ceramic insulator which caused some miss firing on start up and loss of power. Seems it was iron oxide, usually from octane boosters. However, the only thing I have added to the gasoline was MMO and that was in 2019 to try to stop some vapor lock. It runs great again.

Last edited:
Just replaced the E-3s with ACDelco plugs and they have a black finish. The #3 and 4 plugs had a red stain on the ceramic insulator which caused some miss firing on start up and loss of power. Seems it was iron oxide, usually from octane boosters. However, the only thing I have added to the gasoline was MMO and that was in 2019 to try to stop some vapor lock. It runs great again.
Good to hear! I've ran the old venerable R45 AC/Delco's for years on SBC's. The black oxide plugs always rust up it seems.

I think Splitfire could make a comeback with a Willys specific "V" electrode plug for the Super Hurricane.

While on-topic of spark plugs:
For decades, i used a spark plug sandblaster to clean spark plugs.
Once I changed grit in the blaster, it was inefficient in cleaning the electrodes and ceramic.
#3 sand hasn't been effective nor Black media. :(

@Stakebed Joe turned me on to a cleaning trick in 2022, using a propane torch. Wowwie _ _ _ it works.
Simply hold the plug with vise grip on the plug-wire end, and burn-off the impurities from the ceramic & tip. Bingo

I've now cleaned 3-sets of dirty looking plugs in my engines, and they are working like new. No need for new plugs.
As a note too, since cleaning the plugs in my amc 304 engine, I've made 3-Trail-Run outings now and haven't lifted the hood with any issues. :) _ _ _ bonus.

I think Splitfire could make a comeback with a Willys specific "V" electrode plug for the Super Hurricane.
Yeah,that ain't gonna happen. Too much Dinero for a niche market.

True....while I must admit I've never run any of the newfangled whiz bang plugs before,I'm of little faith in them.

Back