Mar 13, 2015
Utah
First Name
Mike
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
Hi all, this is my first post. Yesterday I bought a CJ2A Willys, on a website which just showed pictures of the outside, not the engine compartment. He did say however that it was a flat head. I did some research and determined that it should have a L-134 flathead engine but was missing the carburetor and generator. When I got there, not really knowing what I was looking for, I loaded it up and hauled it home. Now, taking a close look at what I bought, I noticed that it is a flathead 6 cyl, not a 4. Doing some research I have determined that it is a L-161. It has been converted to 12v I'm pretty sure as the coil is a 12v. My questions are...what carburetor can I use, and since it has been converted to 12v, what generator do I need, and where to buy these items. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

Welcome to the forum Mike-

A couple of the forum's supporting vendors, Walck's and Kaiser Willys, both sell 12 gernerators. I think they require a core though. You might be able to buy without the core, and pay an additional $. If you do buy from one of these two, signing up for a forum All-Star membership will save you 5-10%.

An option, if you aren't worried about factory correct, would be to swap in an alternator. I did this on my wagon with a 226 flathead, because my 12v generator couldn't keep up if the headlights or heater were on at the same time. And, they don't charge at idle...

alternator04.jpg

Pete

Thanks for the info Pete. Yea, an Alternator would be a smart idea.

Looking for a carburetor for this L-161. Is the carb for this engine one of a kind or will any others that you are aware of adapt? Thanks.

Hi Mike
Welcome to this circus.
Alternator is the way to go, it's already not original with the 161.
i have 2 of them put away in a truck body. I will look and see what if any carbs are on them. I'm thinking the same as a 226 6 but not that sure. It all depends on bolt pattern. I'd like to see pictures of how they squeezed that motor into that short engine compartment. The bell housing would have been the same so that end is good.
diggerG

Thank you Greg. From what I have been able to determine, the motor is a L6-161 Lightning. It was only installed in 1950 and 51 Wagons and Jeepsters. It came with a Zenith single barrel downdraft carburetor. As far as the install, it seems to fit perfectly. The only modification I can see so far is that they had to cut about 2 inches of sheet metal back for the transfer case shifters to operate properly. It's up at my cabin and I'll take pictures to send you when I get back there in a couple weeks. Is there any alternator in particular that you would recommend? I would think/hope that other carburetors would interchange as my guess is that not many of the Zeniths are out there.

I'd go right to the car parts store and look at what they have, fit is the big thing. And a v belt pulley. Maybe someone else on this forum can be more specific. I still think in the 1970's myself.
diggerG

Last edited:
Pretty much any alternator will do. Here's what I used on my wagon. Easy to fit, one wire connection, and it has a sort of vintage look to it.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/make/dodge?keyword=dodge alternator&ar=1&kr=dodge alternator

These are available in various amp ratings, chrome or powder coat, etc. They are also available with or without the internal voltage regulator, so read the descriptions carefully to make sure you are getting what you want...

The pic above is the one I put on my wagon, its a 100 amp powder coated black.

I just ordered this one for my son's Studebaker Lark, 60 amp in chrome.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-812109

Pete

Mike
No Zenith carbs in my bin. Actually any carb that bolts on and has the same throat dis. would work for you though.
diggerG

Back