Feb 25, 2022
Oregon
First Name
Mike
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
Just purchased a '51 Jeepster without a heater. 12 volt system. Also purchased an OEM heater 6 volt of course. Planning to use a step down transformer 12/6. Can anyone tell me amp draw to run the fan motor? And perhaps a wire diagram. Nothing in the mechanics manual. Thanks in advance.
2D50AD84-52A6-435A-9794-B122238455CA.jpeg

Just purchased a '51 Jeepster without a heater. 12 volt system. Also purchased an OEM heater 6 volt of course. Planning to use a step down transformer 12/6. Can anyone tell me amp draw to run the fan motor? And perhaps a wire diagram. Nothing in the mechanics manual. Thanks in advance.
View attachment 117203
Beautiful Jeepster... Why step down the voltage? The speed control uses resisters to vary the motor speed.. You really don't need
anything else... Just sayin'

Just buy a 12 volt motor and call it good, ( transformers only work on ac ) use a 2 ohm res is you must keep the 6 volt motor...Phil

Just buy a 12 volt motor and call it good, ( transformers only work on ac ) use a 2 ohm res is you must keep the 6 volt motor...Phil
Thanks. I’ll look into the 12v motor
Beautiful Jeepster... Why step down the voltage? The speed control uses resisters to vary the motor speed.. You really don't need
anything else... Just sayin'
so I am an amateur with electronics. Any risk of fire putting 12 bolts to a 6 volt motor?

This is what I'm running

it reduces the 12v to 6v and can handle 10 amps

i put it between the 12v and the heater switch, so both my switch and motor only see 6v

Thanks. I’ll look into the 12v motor

so I am an amateur with electronics. Any risk of fire putting 12 bolts to a 6 volt motor?
I have a 1947 Harrison heater that came with my truck.. It has a 6v motor. I've been feeding it 12v for about 14 years now.. Oh, and the truck was used in Colorado as a snow plow by the previous owner using a 12v system..............It continues to work fine.. But, whatawino.

View attachment 117203

Well there were some little undisclosed issues. Nothing that can’t be overcome fairly easily. If I can find the parts. Where would a person find engine gaskets sets, and chance of wiring harnesses? There may br more. Great car.

Good sources along with Jeepsterman. MidwestWillys.com has a great stash of used parts.

So which seal is best for replacing both front and rear main seals on a 51 Jeepster hurricane 6 cylinder. Neoprene or the rope style. Looks like Jeepster man has both.

Thanks for the indulgence. Just trying to get arms around this car.

So which seal is best for replacing both front and rear main seals on a 51 Jeepster hurricane 6 cylinder. Neoprene or the rope style. Looks like Jeepster man has both.

Thanks for the indulgence. Just trying to get arms around this car.
You might check out metalshaper video (YouTube) on the main seals. (Brian). He gives some advice on using both. I have never rebuilt one so can’t advise from experience.

You might check out metalshaper video (YouTube) on the main seals. (Brian). He gives some advice on using both. I have never rebuilt one so can’t advise from experience.
Thanks.

I've had hit-or-miss results with neoprene over the years. Metalshaper does a good job of explaining what might be going on. My success rate with rope has been less than perfect. I'll accept a drip as long as its not a trail. Are you planning on a rebuild? I just finished mine not quite a year ago.

Having an inspection in April to determine how severe the leaks are and where they are coming from. Rebuilt in 88 but only about 6000 miles since. Will go through it if it’s the mains. Thanks for the heads up on metalshaper .

Having an inspection in April to determine how severe the leaks are and where they are coming from. Rebuilt in 88 but only about 6000 miles since. Will go through it if it’s the mains. Thanks for the heads up on metalshaper .
Here is the video info. He has tons. 4 April 2020. Title is Willys L and F head rope seal EE1D2DEE-AD7F-453B-931A-B29E1293B987.jpeg

Back