Mar 13, 2016
Auburn, Alabama
First Name
Tom
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
OK, so I bought this Willys sedan delivery about 40 years ago with no title. There are no serial numbers that I can find on this Willys. The tag that was on the left of the drivers seat floor has been removed. I have looked on the frame and up and down with the only numbers found on the 134 F head engine (806279-W-12-D-AR). My state does not require a title on a vehicle older than 30 years. So, that being said, I am looking to make up a number or use my engine number unless some one out there can give me more information about how to find the correct number for this Willys? I would also like to find out about how many Sedan Delivery's were made in 1950? I was told it was a 1950 but now note sure about what year mine was made after reading that some serial number tags were changed by the dealers and apparently but some owners? HELP...I am ready to get this thing on the road. Thanks!

Someone else here can help with the year specifics but the link below has the serial number ranges you seek. Pics of the nose, grill, engine compartment, dash, maybe axles, would all be helpful in determining what year you have.

http://www.kaiserwillys.com/willys_jeep_serial_numbers

Edit...
i now see you have an album. maybe still post them over here if you can. you have the pointed nose. so it is a 1950&1/2 (they might have just called it a 51) or newer. the 5 bars on the grill mean something and the gauage cluster will be mean something. i do not remember them off the top of my head. i can try to find it.

http://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/album.php?albumid=455

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

Good question. Based off of your pointed grill and your gauges, you have a 1950.5 to 1951 Delivery:

attachment.php

Here is additional info on changes through the years: http://wx4.org/to/wagons/usefulstuff/wagonspecs.html#Anchor-47857

Your serial number starts with the model number, in this case, 4-73 (four cylinders, 73 horsepower) and then is followed by a sequential production number. Here are two websites with Willy serial numbers:

http://www.public.asu.edu/~grover/willys/serial.html
http://www.kaiserwillys.com/willys_jeep_serial_numbers

It looks like the data for the 2wd 1950 models consists of both station wagon and Delivery production totaling 19,616 whereas in 1951, Willys made 135 of the 2wd 4-73 Delivery.

Good luck!

Once you figure out the serial number, there are repro serial number plates available: http://shop.willysamerica.com/VIN-Plates-s/1838.htm

Cheers!

Last edited:
I can only hope that mine is a 1951....with the low production that would be great? Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a 1950 and a 1951? I have the old license plate dating back to 1973 so I am going to contact the local license office and see if they can help locate the title? Other ideas? Mine has the leaf spring in the front?

I can only hope that mine is a 1951....with the low production that would be great? Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a 1950 and a 1951? I have the old license plate dating back to 1973 so I am going to contact the local license office and see if they can help locate the title? Other ideas? Mine has the leaf spring in the front?

No easy way to tell th difference between 50 and 51 other than the serial number - and even that isn't a sure thing as Willys routinely re-plated vehicles that didn't sell in one year. The engine numbers you provided in your first message aren't engine number, they're casting numbers so they're not 'unique'. The engine number would be on the block deck that sticks out from the head and above the water pump at the front of the engine. That number frequently disappears if the engine is rebuilt due to surfacing the deck to make sure it's flat.

Your serial number starts with the model number, in this case, 4-73 (four cylinders, 73 horsepower) and then is followed by a sequential production number. Here are two websites with Willy serial numbers:

That only applies for the 1950-1/2 models. For the 1951 models, the serial number plate would've started with 451 for the 4-cylinder, even though it was still a 473 model.

so how do we know that it is a 50.5-51? i new that it had the newer grill and the 5 bars. the 5 bars tells me 50.5-53. the guage is like 50-56. so what am i missing?

Good question Bryce.

The 1950.5-1951 Willys (trucks, wagons, Jeepsters, Deliveries, etc). had this gauge cluster (0-8 speedo with classic font):

attachment.php

The 1952-1956.5 had a similar gauge cluster, but with a different font like this (0-9 speedo with a Pac-Man font):

2013DreamMachinesShow049_zpsdada73d0.jpg

It's entirely possible that this is a 1952-1953 Delivery with a 1950.5 to 1951 gauge cluster if a PO swapped it out. However if it's stock, then the Delivery is a 1950.5-1951.

For what its worth on my 57 truck the serial number is stamped on the frame.

Attachments

• Serial number (1).jpg
    Serial number (1).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Serial number (2).jpg
    Serial number (2).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 23
For what its worth on my 57 truck the serial number is stamped on the frame.

Some of the 1940's had a number on the frame but that went away until Kaiser bought Willys in 1953 and they re-introduced stamping the serial number in 1954.

I really appreciate those who are helping me find the correct year and hopefully the serial number of my Willys Sedan Delivery. It excites me to think that it might be a 1951 instead a 1950 because so few were made in 1951? So, are there any other distinguishing facts that might help in identifying the correct year or serial number? Mine has a planar front end under it? What models used that type of front end and when did Willys start and stop using this type of front end? I heard that some years the serial number was stamped on the right front top of the frame but it looks like I would have to take the fender off to see if it is on mine? Right? Any other pictures I can take that might help someone to help me identify what I really have?

Early 1950 1/2 Delivery's have round holes in the windshield header rail....
Late 1950 1/2 and later years have oval holes in the windshield header rail..

Larry, any chance you know what serial number the round to oval change took place?

Last edited:
According the W.A. restoration guide in 1950-1/2 A major styling change included a re styled hood, grill, fenders, and instrumentation. The windshield header changed from round holes to oval holes after 473/11422. 463 models have a flat nosed grill while the 473 have the "V" nosed grill, fenders and hood. Jeep Delivery no longer on the hood or glove box door. There is no mention of model 473 before 1950-1/2 or after 1951.

Last edited:
The hood ornament on April thru November 1950 had a 4 on it.. Wagons that had
the six had a six on it...

Serial numbers above 11,422 had the oval header holes....But, as you know
Willys Overland didn't always stick to the "rules". This is for delivery's.

My truck has a 15,xxx serial number and even has two little holes where the brass emblem (left lower cowl) should be. So, it shouldn't have the round holes,. but it does. It even
has the two holes in the left lower cowl for a brass medallion.. The cut off serial for
4WD is 12,745.

The serial numbers quoted are from an old restoration book (WA).

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Mind has the oval holes in the header. V grill and hood. I have pictures on my profile. Let me know if you need more pictures?

Does it have a floor mounted starter button on the lower/center of the firewall?

I think I lost my response to your question. Yes, my Willys has floor mounted started button on the lower/center of the firewall.

Back