Apr 29, 2021
Ohio
First Name
Cyril
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
I'm installing New Glass and seals in a 48 pickup door and I hate to admit I was a dumb ass but it might keep someone else from being a dumb ass... I put the regulator bracket and seal on the bottom of the door window and fought it for hours and finally realized I put the bracket on the wide side of the window...(Hope this makes sense) And it's 3/4 of an inch wider than the other way . so hopefully I can get it off without breaking the glass and correct it... just thought maybe I could save someone else from making the same mistake... it's easy to do.lol

I'm installing New Glass and seals in a 48 pickup door and I hate to admit I was a dumb ass but it might keep someone else from being a dumb ass... I put the regulator bracket and seal on the bottom of the door window and fought it for hours and finally realized I put the bracket on the wide side of the window...(Hope this makes sense) And it's 3/4 of an inch wider than the other way . so hopefully I can get it off without breaking the glass and correct it... just thought maybe I could save someone else from making the same mistake... it's easy to do.lol
Don't feel bad, there is not a lot of info available when it comes to Willys on the web, that's why most of us are here on the forum. We are all trying to learn and help each other as much as we can.
Sometimes this means learning from each other's mistakes.
Just so you don't feel alone, when I did the windows on my wagon I only screwed in the screws at the top of the "c" channel that goes around the window until they were under the felt on the channel. Needless to say when I rolled the window up tightly it chipped the glass on one of the screws. Went back and really sank all screws in after that but had to learn the hard way.
I'm sure most of us have similar stories as we are all learning.

One of the best things about doing anything on a vehicle is that you have one side to guide you how to install the other side. Be it brakes or windows, NEVER take both sides apart unless you take copious pictures!

Also, when it comes time to search for the "how to" use Google to find what you need to know for your Willys, you will get more hits than using the search bar here. Try something like "How to install door glass Willys Wagon old willys forum". Go ahead, copy and paste and see!

I did the same exact thing!

Randy

Don't feel bad, there is not a lot of info available when it comes to Willys on the web, that's why most of us are here on the forum. We are all trying to learn and help each other as much as we can.
Just so you don't feel alone, when I did the windows on my wagon I only screwed in the screws at the top of the "c" channel that goes around the window until they were under the felt on the channel. Needless to say when I rolled the window up tightly it chipped the glass on one of the screws. Went back and really sank all screws in after that but had to learn the hard way.

I did the same thing on my passenger side window on my wagon.

I found another way to crack the window. I shut the door while the window was in the down position. (I eliminated the wing window so apparently there is something in the door frame that hit the glass just right when I shut the door. )
I just replaced my door glass as scratched it. There was one door hinge screw that was 1/8" longer than the others and that scratched it. They were original screws too at the time, but found there was a mix of lengths in them.

Back