Jun 21, 2016
Moab, Utah
First Name
David
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
A few months ago, at the FC Round Up, down in Phoenix, in addition to all the incredibly cool FCs, the host Jesse, had an incredible collection of three super rare Jeep Fleetvans. I had only ever seen pictures of them, I never had seen one in real life. We got talking about it and thought that it would be a perfect vehicle to make into a handicap accessible van for me. So before leaving, I spoke with Jesse about the possibility of purchasing one from him. He said he actually had interest in them from Disney to use them at their Parks as display vehicles, and he had already sold one to them. So we needed to wait and hear from them before he could commit to selling me one. I reached out to him about three weeks ago to see if they were still available, and he told me that unfortunately they had been paid for and picked up. I was very, very bummed.

This weekend I decided to come visit my good friend Steve Maxfield. I haven't seen him in a while, and wanted to spend some time with him. This morning when we came over to his shop, MEGA X 2, I came around the corner, and lo and behold, there was the Fleetvan I wanted. Steve and Jesse had conspired behind my back, and Steve had purchased it for me, picked it up, and bought it as a surprise for me.

All I can say is that I was floored. I was absolutely ecstatic and so incredibly excited. It is going to be an awesome vehicle which is going to be able to allow me to have a lot of independence by driving my electric scooter straight up into the back, transferring over to the driver's seat, and being able to go anywhere I want without having to have somebody else help me load into a vehicle.

Only later did I find out that not only did he get mine, a 1961 FJ-3 model, but he also picked up another one, an FJ-3a which his wife will be driving, and we will happily add to our ever-growing collection of awesome old Willys vehicles, and will eventually be part of our living and working Willys Museum.

The Fleetvan still need quite a bit of work, but at this point it is running and driving. It has a 4-cylinder Mercruiser boat motor and an automatic Turbo 350 Transmission. It still need lots of work with the steering, brakes, and a full interior. But it is coming along nicely. Gratefully it is almost completely rust-free, with a clean Frame and Body. When it's all done, it's going to be painted mojito green and have white wall tires. I am super excited about that. Can't hardly wait to post up pictures as the project moves along.FB_IMG_1561412332640.jpg

Back