600 miles in two days, Willys America and the Mendocino Coast

Left the Sierra Nevada foothills and headed northwest across California's great Central Valley, taking mostly back roads and secondary highways. It was a good day for it with mild temperatures. Often this time of year this inland valley is like a reflector oven with temps of 100 or more.

View attachment 46548

Reached to Pacific Coast via Hwy 20. The 34-mile stretch from Willits to Fort Bragg takes nearly an hour -- it's that twisted. But it's also beautiful, and pretty soon you're at the coast, which is cool and lovely.

View attachment 46549

Stopped at Mendocino to walk down to the beach and enjoy the scenery.

View attachment 46553View attachment 46552View attachment 46554View attachment 46555

Then kept heading south.

The rig ran really well, but at a gas stop I noticed a little pool of gear oil and a slow but steady drip, drip, drip. I wiped off the trans and tanfer case, and the leak appears to be originating at the shims for the rear bearing cap. Everything was tight, so I opted to just check it periodically, add more as needed, and keep driving. Over the course of 700 miles it took about a quart, though half of that was in the initial dose. It must have started leaking last weekend, after I checked it (it wasn't leaking then) and took a drive to the mountains. Hmmmm. Just glad I noticed it before it got low enough to hurt anything. As for motor oil, it used or leaked about a pint over the course of the trip. More later.

By the way, most of the old buildings along the coast are built entirely of redwood. Back in the day it was abundant and cheap.
Very cool! For us still working on our rigs---we're jealous. We dream, or I do, of the day when we can fireup our rigs and take a beautiful drive along back roads or off-road excursions in our beloved Willy's. Keep-on Jeeping!

lookout is placerville home. I have property in grizzlyflats.
I often spend summer vacation in Bass Lake. Western Sierra foothills north of Fresno. Me thinks maybe a Willys round-up in Yosemite would be fun when I get mine up and running. Ha

Duane

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I often spend summer vacation in Bass Lake. Western Sierra foothills north of Fresno. Me thinks maybe a Willys round-up in Yosemite would be fun when I get mine up and running. Ha

Duane

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I know quite a few folks north of Bass Lake, up to Fish Camp and over towards Awahnee. I spent some time putting a Enduro Bike together in Oakhurst before competing and then riding it all the way back to Kansas(mostly on dirt) on 650cc's of Honda engineering.

Small world.

f3106f8a677154557015648ad72fcc64.jpg

FlinthillsBen
1957 Willys L6-226 with 1960 chassis and Super Hurricane

Look Out Ranch, thanks so much for posting up your trip. Great seeing the pics of all the old haunts. I lived in Jenner in the '80's, found Austin Creek Engineering while I was up there and had a blast looking through the redneck hippie's collection of Jeeps and Willys. Was never quite sure whether I should ask Paul if he wanted to burn one down or knock a few back... One thing's for sure tho, back then we all had a lot more hair and it wasn't gray!
I hope he decides to have his open house again this year.

Just a thought; would the CA folks be open to some sort of meet-up in the southern Sierra? maybe someplace like Camp Nelson? I'm open for suggestions.

I know quite a few folks north of Bass Lake, up to Fish Camp and over towards Awahnee. I spent some time putting a Enduro Bike together in Oakhurst before competing and then riding it all the way back to Kansas(mostly on dirt) on 650cc's of Honda engineering.

Small world.

f3106f8a677154557015648ad72fcc64.jpg

FlinthillsBen
1957 Willys L6-226 with 1960 chassis and Super Hurricane

Sweet Honda. Seats were always a little narrow for me but they look cool.

Back