Nevada County, CA
First Name
Beasley
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
Good day everyone!

My name is Beasley, and I’m the owner of a 1950 Willys truck, and I don't know everything about it, I did not do the rebuild; I got it from a friend who did, but I am now maintaining it and loving nearly every moment of it.

So why I write today:
The carb is flooding and stalling and I dont know exactly why and im seeking some advice from this community to get her back on the road!

Symptoms:
She starts ok, idles fine, but when I go to drive her, she'll stall out within 30 seconds and when i check under the hood, fuel will be dripping out of the carb all over the head and there will be sputtering coming from inside. I’ve taken the top off the carb and verified the float is floating, and cleaned off the pin which seemed to be sticking shut (though I figure that would be an opposite problem for flooding), and after letting it sit for a while can get her to fire off again before repeating the said above.

Thank you for reading this and helping out a young farmer using his tructor for his work!20240221_161846.jpg

Cool old truck, welcome. It's probably time to rebuild the carb. Not that hard to do. If you go to Mike's carburetor, it will have all the parts and info you need. Good luck.

Beautiful truck, great photo! Is it the stock engine, fuel pump and carburetor? That has the L4-134 engine? Had it been running fine before this started happening, or did the truck come with this problem?

By the way, I grew up in your beautiful county and now live in the second county south.

Last edited:
@beaz13, flooding carbs are a not infrequent problem. Once you post up your engine and carb description, you’ll probably get lots of input from those that have faced down the same issues

Thank you for reading this and helping out a young farmer using his tructor for his work!
You’re a farmer in Nevada County? My family has some property in Penn Valley and I’ve always dreamed of retiring and tilling the land. I’m guessing the reality of actually doing is a little different than my dreams.

Welcome to the forum, and when I’m up there, I’ll watch out for that good looking truck!

What a perfectly cool looking truck.

As others have said, I’d obtain the appropriate carb overhaul kit, get the carb on a bench with a can of carb cleaner and ideally, some compressed air at hand and give it a careful going-thru, with extra attention to the float and needle/seat.

Best of luck, John

Diagnostics. Check to make sure the needle and seat aren't blocked by some junk from the fuel system. Check for the correct float setting. It differs among the various carbs and is different still depending on the composition of the needle in the seat. This will only cost you time.

To keep my post related to your question. The carb is attached to ???
Tell us everything about your truck. I can't help you with your carb question. Great looking truck. Welcome.
Nice old truck! All of the above on your carb problem. I hate to state the obvious but check your air cleaner, if it’s dirty or blocked it can cause flooding.( might try it with the air cleaner off) Could be a sticking choke, stiff or worn linkage, check the pcv valve, A few good pictures of the engine, carb, fuel pump, and fuel lines would help with the trouble shooting.

@beaz13, flooding carbs are a not infrequent problem. Once you post up your engine and carb description, you’ll probably get lots of input from those that have faced down the same issues

You’re a farmer in Nevada County? My family has some property in Penn Valley and I’ve always dreamed of retiring and tilling the land. I’m guessing the reality of actually doing is a little different than my dreams.

Welcome to the forum, and when I’m up there, I’ll watch out for that good looking truck!
Penn Valley is probably better known for ranching than farming, but there are now some vineyards and orchards in the area.
I have a fond memory of attending the Penn Valley Rodeo as a little kid with my dad. I see it’s still a thing.

Good day everyone!

My name is Beasley, and I’m the owner of a 1950 Willys truck, and I don't know everything about it, I did not do the rebuild; I got it from a friend who did, but I am now maintaining it and loving nearly every moment of it.

So why I write today:
The carb is flooding and stalling and I dont know exactly why and im seeking some advice from this community to get her back on the road!

Symptoms:
She starts ok, idles fine, but when I go to drive her, she'll stall out within 30 seconds and when i check under the hood, fuel will be dripping out of the carb all over the head and there will be sputtering coming from inside. I’ve taken the top off the carb and verified the float is floating, and cleaned off the pin which seemed to be sticking shut (though I figure that would be an opposite problem for flooding), and after letting it sit for a while can get her to fire off again before repeating the said above.

Thank you for reading this and helping out a young farmer using his tructor for his work!View attachment 162161
Pretty sure you have a carb, or fuel pump issue, but the fix will depend on what engine and fuel delivery system you have. Stock would be a either an L134 flathead 4 (uncommon) carb, or the mighty Hurricane 4, which both came with mechanical double acting fuel pump and a Carter YF carb. If it is non stock, it would depend on the engine and fuel delivery system. If you post pictures In am sure there is someone here that will help.

Hey everyone, really appreciate all the reply, good to know there's people as stoked as I to keep these epic machines running.

So some back story; a buddy picked this thing up in Santa Cruz a couple years ago when it was fully seized, missing the bed and in really rough shape. He's a great mechanic and fully refurbished everything and replaced what he couldnt keep original. The only "modern" update was locking hubs (which I'm actually stoked on) and a plastic gas tank. Thus it is the original hurricane in line 4 with a Carter YF carb. I've had it in this primo original 45mph-top-speed condition for the last year and was working so well until this issue.

While taking apart the carb I did notice the needle was slow to drop out of the seat. Would that lead to flooding? Looked at the air filter and seems fine, choke is working good too, so no problems there.

Also, stoked to hear there's some good feelings about nevada county! I certainly love it. Definitely better grazing than farming, hence why we have goats, sheep and cows to boot!

Thank you everyone!
B

Attachments

• 20240409_185758.jpg
    20240409_185758.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240409_185051.jpg
    20240409_185051.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240409_170238.jpg
    20240409_170238.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 17127149197436530719195341442252.jpg
    17127149197436530719195341442252.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hello! In photo #2, on the right side of the carb, straight over from your thumb, is a flange sticking out from the body. Stamped into that flange, on the other side should be the model number of this carb. Please post it. You say the needle was slow to drop. If the tip is rubber that would not be unusual as when gas dries out it turns to shellac and becomes sticky. A good cleaning is called for.

I agree, the issue does seem float-related, with something keeping the float valve from closing properly.

Turn the top of the carb upside down, so that the float is resting on the float valve needle, and try blowing through the fuel inlet.

Consider ordering a rebuild kit with a new float valve and changing it. I haven’t had problems with a Viton needle tip, but some have trouble with them sticking and prefer metal-to-metal. On the www.carburetor-parts.com website you can look up which needle and seat are specified for that carb model. @Scoutpilot also has a lot of experience with these and has a website of his own with helpful information.

Check the float settings. If you’re using the truck on rough terrain a lot, you may find that a lower float setting (3/8” vs 5/16” for example) may work a little better, especially if your spark plugs are showing a rich running condition.

Also, you could probably reduce the drop of the float just a bit. Once the float valve is fully open, additional drop ads no value. Notice how your needle is canted to the side with the float at full drop in the first picture. That is not ideal.

Last edited:
Good evening! Thank you again for the support. So i went ahead and cleaned out the carb with cleaner and followed the advice on mikes carb to clean the needle with mineral oil and I made it to the end of the road before it flooded again.. Now its currently stalled out next to my neighbors house! Oof!

Attached is the serial number you asked for. Im really thinking its a needle valve issue so I am going to order a new set from Mikes, that if i did my homework right, should be this one no? the model number does not include 951SA only 951S, will this work?
https://www.carburetor-parts.com/stromberg-needle-seat-ns502

Again, I really appreciate the support.

Attachments

• 20240410_180214.jpg
    20240410_180214.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 6
Welcome to the Forum. I don't know if I could offer more info on the flooding issues, all the suggestions were good. I didn't notice if the truck has the stock fuel pump or an electric pump. Electric pumps can overwhelm a stock carb and nothing except a pressure regulator will help. With the top off the carb and held upside down is the float level with the carb mating surface. Easiest float adjustment I know of.
1713290411946.png
On a side note, we might as well be neighbors. I'm across the river up in Alta. My son runs the Maintenance Yard for NID in Grass Valley. My wife and I were married in Penn Valley 43 years ago.

Hey yall! Success! I replaced the float valve and sure enough the seat for the needle was all mucked. She purring smooth again! took her for a victory lap down to the Yuba at sunset.

Thank you for all your help, community! May our old time creatures keep running smooth for us!

Back