Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Pickup
  3. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
  2. 1958
  3. 1962
I plow my driveway with my '55 truck which is equipped with 25 year old (I never leave the property) Farm and Fart off-brand 7.50-16 standard (for 40 years ago) mud and snow tires. They look great on the truck! Traditional and period correct looking....but they absolutely suck in the snow, as in being nearly useless. They may work in mud, but between being rock hard, even at 12 psi, and the fact that the truck suspension is as flexible as an eggshell, I'm constantly getting stuck plowing my hilly driveway, or worse, sliding onto the lawn, and ripping it up getting out (which causes marital consternation!).

By contrast, my 3/4 ton Suburban, with radial Michelin Defenders (not really a snow tire), can drive right up to the stuck truck, in worse snow, and just pull it out. In fact, I dragged a tandem axle car hauler with about a half a ton of Willys parts right through the areas that the plow truck got stuck in, maneuvered it into the shop, and then after unloading it drove it through over a foot of heavy snow and parked it with nearly no issues, just the other day. I know there's lots of other variables, but I "assume" the primary difference is in the tires, where the rubber meets the "road". Michelin tires are very expensive, but if they actually work, then it's worth it. Since they will rot long before they're wear out, I could consider a cheaper brand, but they gotta work, and due to vanity, can't look like a modern corvette tire. I know I'll get an instant improvement with radials, but I also assume the tread pattern and siping are critical.

This is a long shot, but does anybody have any experience with traction in the snow on pavement (off-road/AT tires are not what I need for snow plowing) on tires that actually grip (lot's of sipes) snow. I can read all the manufacturers claims, and look at the tires and guess, but does anyone here actually have any experiences with true snow tires on these stiff rigs? I'd probably go with the 215/85R16 size on my stock 5" truck wheels, but due to a refurb project on the truck, I may have to use my '58 wagon to plow for a season, so they have to fit that too. I'm thinking the snow tires sales might happen in another month or so, so I'm preparing ahead of time.

Thanx!!!

Last edited:
There's a little emblem used on "winter rated" tires that has a mountain and snowflake. You will NOT find them on a lot of period correct donuts, especially the unidirectional military. But a lot of name brands do, and it's a decent buying guide.
I can't reco a particular tire as I left cold country for a reason. I think snow looks great in pictures (and my rear view mirror)

I wouldn't summarily dismiss AT tires. I went through this exercise a couple years back for the Bobcat 5600 Toolcat. I ended up with General AT's, 235-75R15's and I did get them studded. They have VERY abundant siping and have been just excellent plowing/blowing snow on my driveway, some of which is 12% grade

Thanks John! That's the type of info I'm looking for. Vanity is a consideration so I don't want something that looks like this, no matter how good it works;
1706305772187.png

But this A/T type seemed to have a lot of siping, like the Defenders on my Suburban, and looks good enough for a Willys;
1706305881982.png

What I have looks a lot like this, and it's absolutley useless, but looks good;
1706306072134.png

I run the two you don't like, above, so take with grain of salt. Years back living in a southwestern mountain town rural, I had a dedicated plow truck for a long driveway. It's chains all around. Yes, still had this one spot where the teeter totter with the plow blade was sketchy. Sometimes you gotta do what's right for safety, tell her. My opinions.

Wait for a snowy day to tell her. Better yet one when she wants to go "shopping". Those chains will be OK then.

BTW, Those bottom, good looking tires, are probably much less flexible then they were 40 years ago. Mine, at 10 years old are noticeably stiffer then they were when new. You would probably be happy with a new set of them. Heck you could take one of those 40 YO ones down & compare it with a new one. The tire shop will not mind if you do.

This is my input, to the question asked. I will not be offended if you ignore it.

Not ignoring your advice at all, but you don’t have to deal with my wife, I do! lol!

But the hard rubber, you’re probably on to something there.
I hear you on the wife thing.

My wife is much more understanding. I brought a 1959 F-250 into the family. She brought a 1948 Willys pickup into the family. We live on a dead end gravel road with a gravel drive, so no issues with tire chains or small oil leaks for that matter.

Studs then. Big & nasty as they come. I was able to drive a convertible at speed for two winters on them no matter the weather, mud, dust, ice and snow. My old neighbor who never led me wrong said they worked but i went with chains and never looked back. Not sure, but gotta be better than without for plowing

Last winter I bought a set of the Nexgen Winspike3 tires and had them studded. The wife is very impressed with them. More studs than most snow tires We've used. They seem to be wearing well also for the second winter on a 5,000 lbs SUV.

Alot of siping plus studdable
1707710655732.png

I don't deal with snow much. I've found over the years that adding 500 lbs in the truck bed works wonders. And tires, I've had great luck with these expensive tires, Bridgestone Blizzak's. But, whatawino?

Attachments

• bs_blizzak_w965_pdpcrop.jpg
    bs_blizzak_w965_pdpcrop.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 4
  • New Wheels.JPG
    New Wheels.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 4
Back