reverse/backup light

mkzmomo

Sharpest Tool
Dec 12, 2010
Canada
Willys Model
Willys Year:
I need to figure out what to do with this little problem. I need do have reverse lights to pass the inspection here in Canada.
Do any of you guys had to add some to? I need get pics and ideas on how to mount those in the back as well as the switch.
:thumbup:

Thanks
Mike

I found them to be desired as well. To my knowledge there isn't a switch on the transmission. I simply wired to the light (my tail lights aren't stock) and put a switch on my dash. There clearly isn't an automatic feature to it, but I can see in back when I am reversing.

I'm going to be going the "switch on the dash" route as well. I'm going to be mounting a pair of rectangular fog lights on the hitch of my wagon to serve as backup lights.

I'm not going to swear to it, but you might be able to get another set of taillights, mount them below the factory ones, and just replace the lenses with a clear ones. That, of course, hinges upon being able to find clear lenses in the right size.

You could also build or buy lightboxes to fit whatever bulbs you want, either one of each or two part bulbs like these http://www.easternmarine.com/Bargman-Se ... 42-84-414/ .

I've also seen all-in-one trailer lights installed on the sides of the bed, like these http://www.easternmarine.com/Universal- ... ight-4027/

Somewhere I've seen a pickup build without a rear bumper, I'm not even sure it was a Willys at this point, where they installed a set of square lights (something like these if I'm remembering correctly http://www.easternmarine.com/Bargman-LE ... 47-84-009/ ) in the rear crossmember of the bed below the tailgate.

If you're planning on keeping your bumper it wouldn't be hard to install them in that, or use CJ marker lights like are on the tailgate of GreenMtnMan's Wagon's tailgate, or even just a simple 2" marker light like these http://www.iowa80.com/DirectionsWEB/web ... rker+Light if they're enough for the inspection.

Does Canada not have grandfather laws concerning older vehicles? In Pennsylvania at least, we're not required to have any equipment that didn't come standard at the time. i.e. one tail light and no seatbelt in a '51 wagon is fine, even though I won't be leaving it that way.

Check out member dimmwatt's solution...

24159630605_large.jpg

24159630610_large.jpg

Pete

Would advise going with a manual switch if nothing on the transmission for starters.

I plan on taking a 3rd brake/bed light from a pickup truck cutting into the roof just above rear window to wire up a third brake light and use the bed light as my reverse light.

That's my plan but I like Dimmwatt's idea too... Just wonder where he to the led's.

Eric

I love dimmwatt's fix! (and you've got to admit that the username is sort of ironic in this situation)

Any insight as to how much light this actually makes? Or where to get he little lights?

I say don't be scared of a $4.00 microswitch wire it to your shifter of choice! I have used one from a old comerial oven door switch in an old dart to replace a fried reverse switch.

compyello said:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/t90-reverse-light-switch_topic18514.html very nice and clean install by a member on the CJ2A page he made his own bracket

I really like that idea for the switch it should work great on my pickup... anyone clue on what switch he used? I'm not a member on CJ2A.

I'm diggin dimmwatt's for the lights, I need to find some here in Canada

There's no grandpa law on older cars to pass inspection... I don't have to pass emission test, but all safety parts must be there ( seat belts, back up light, wiper, emergency light etc...)

There's no grandpa law on older cars to pass inspection... I don't have to pass emission test, but all safety parts must be there ( seat belts, back up light, wiper, emergency light etc...)[/quote]
Not sure where you are at in Canada,but here in N.S,if you are registering it as an antique then you are allowed to keep everything stock.If it is to unoriginal then you cannot register it as an antique.

I'm in QC, I could register as an antique but all that does is stopping me from driving it on roads with speed limite over 30 miles per hour.
Since I want to drive it on secondary and primary road, I have to put it up to minimal safety laws... wich is good in my opinion.

:cheers:

oh and by the way, I did found some micro switch that might do the trick. I will keep things updated when I get the Switch in the mail box, I ordered 2 types. I will fab my own bracket too.

i know this is an old thread but does anyone have any info on the light that Dimmwatt used for his conversion? Or something similar that would replace the reflector?

The T-90 in my delivery has a reverse light switch on the transmission. It came out of a Scout II (1972ish). The plug is removed from the shift tower rail bore so it can activate the switch when the shift rail moves to the reverse position. Beware of oil leaks! The switch must "seal" up to the bore. It works really well.

Sorry I didn't specify I have a NV4500 which has a reverse switch. Just looking for info on what the light is that fits where the reflector goes so I don't have to run auxiliary reverse lights to pass inspections

I am in the same boat i have a 700R4 and from what i have read so far there is no provision for plug or wiring for backup lights now Lokar make a switch and bracket for their shifter i have for a NSS or a Backup light but not both which is what i want. So am trying to figure out how to make it work for both as i do not want to have to rely on a seperate dash switch like we do in the White Beast used only when remembered to do so ....very seldom am accustomed to modern and automatic activation. if you have any ideas or something i may have missed give me a holler.

Thanx
Larry

Light switch is a rocker type that light up when turned on, that way I won't forget to turn it off.. Mounted under the dash and out of sight.

Attachments

• P_20170423_095908.jpg
    P_20170423_095908.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 73
  • P_20170423_095648.jpg
    P_20170423_095648.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 20140223_160601.jpg
    20140223_160601.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 69
Doesn't the later T-90 towers have a socket for a backup light switch that threads in?

Last edited:
I am in the same boat i have a 700R4 and from what i have read so far there is no provision for plug or wiring for backup lights now Lokar make a switch and bracket for their shifter i have for a NSS or a Backup light but not both which is what i want. So am trying to figure out how to make it work for both as i do not want to have to rely on a seperate dash switch like we do in the White Beast used only when remembered to do so ....very seldom am accustomed to modern and automatic activation. if you have any ideas or something i may have missed give me a holler. Thanx Larry

Hello Larry. Floyd now has a 700R4 tranny. Floyd also has a new Winters Shifter. The Shifter has the Back Up Switch Component and the Neutral Safety Switch. You'd think that your Lokar Shifter would have BOTH! Call them about it, maybe they do have something for that. Good Luck, Pivnic

Back