The Official Engine swap info and picture thread - please contribute!

Jones

Bigger Hammer
Dec 19, 2012
Glide, Oregon
First Name
Terry
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
I will ask forgiveness from the guys who like to keep things stock for creating this thread, however for many folks - myself included - stock isn't a practical solution for motor-vation.

Lets see those engine swaps out there, and lets hear some of the important details (and I dont mean horsepower bragging), like how well does it FUNCTION in a Willys? What did you have to modify? How did you overcome cooling challenges? What trans did you use? What kind of drivability do you have, what kind of mpg do you get? These are the kinds of questions I see asked on this forum over and over when it comes to engine swaps...lets answer them here, in one thread!

Pontiac 389 in a '51 pickup

For starters, here is the truck I recently acquired. It has what I was told is a Pontiac 389 in it, with a Pontiac auto trans. Despite the mess shown in the photo, the actual install is pretty clean. They did a good job with the mounts, and although the firewall and trans tunnel was modified, the fabrication was pretty nicely done. Too bad they didn't do as nice of a job with the wiring and cables. But Im surprised how nicely the big Pontiac seems to fit in there.

Since this truck cab and bed were on another frame at one time and used for drag racing (no really, drag racing) the firewall and trans tunnel mods may have been made for previous engine swaps and to get the cab down lower on the frame.

Viability of this swap? In my opinion, zilch, as it meant turning the truck into a two wheel drive, at least in this case. For that reason, Ill be swapping something else in...possibly a 283 chevy (because I have a good runner, plus I know where a parts truck is with a chevy to willys trans adapter, trans, and transfer case). I've only had this engine running for about 30 seconds at a time due to fuel delivery issues, so I cannot comment on drivability, how it has effected the rest of the drivetrain, mpg, reliability, and so on.

Cooling must have been an issue as the previous owner installed an electric pusher fan in front of the radiator (cutting the grill in the process) in addition to the stock fan on the engine.

What I'd really like to swap in is a 4.2l Jeep six with a five speed trans and transfer case (or maybe a 4.0 if I cant find a good 4.2L), but for some reason, you don't see that swap being done. Anyone know why?

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 285
  • pontiac motor.jpg
    pontiac motor.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 378
  • Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Reactions: dld
Hi Terry,

Many transplanted engines have their challenges, although some (e.g. Chevy 4.3 V6) are easier than others. The Jeep/AMC 4.2L and 4.0L are too big for an easy transplant. I believe you also have to punch out the firewall to make them fit. This may vary depending on the year of the Willys as the ones in the 1960s with the 230 OHC six have more pronounced indent in the firewall which would make them easier for a transplant. I think Willys Overland also released an official tech bulletin outlining all of the things that would have to change to switch from a 226 to a 230 in an earlier model. Few things are impossible. It depends on the size or your wallet and/or the amount of fabrication one is willing to do.

Cheers,

Scramboleer

I will ask forgiveness from the guys who like to keep things stock for creating this thread, however for many folks - myself included - stock isn't a practical solution for motor-vation.

Lets see those engine swaps out there, and lets hear some of the important details (and I dont mean horsepower bragging), like how well does it FUNCTION in a Willys? What did you have to modify? How did you overcome cooling challenges? What trans did you use? What kind of drivability do you have, what kind of mpg do you get? These are the kinds of questions I see asked on this forum over and over when it comes to engine swaps...lets answer them here, in one thread!

GREAT idea! Hope it takes. And so I'll ask, why not use the 4.3L GM engine? There's so much press on this it's tough to avoid it as a first choice, IMHO
Chet

Last edited:
GREAT idea! Hope it takes. And so I'll ask, why not use the 4.3L GM engine? There's so much press on this it's tough to avoid it as a first choice, IMHO
Chet

Thanks, glad you like the idea. I hope others find it useful too, as it seems like engine swap questions are constantly flying around this message board.

As to why Im thinking of a straight six, its kind of a goofy reason but the SOUND of a straight six just seems more "right" for this kind of old truck. Plus I love the low end grunt of the 4.2l we have in our '89 Jeep Wrangler, and it seems perfectly suited with the five speed. I know the pickup is a heavier vehicle, though.

I really dont have anything against a GM v6 at all, and from many standpoints, I know it is a practical and economical choice. I may very well end up going that direction, and I would love to hear from people who have gone that route to hear what they think, but want to explore other options out there, too.

I guess I just kind of like them old six bangers, for some reason, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTV
Ford 250ci straight six from a 75 Ford Maverick. I would recommend using a Falcon bellhousing to get the starter higher up on the RH side.

Ford 250ci straight six from a 75 Ford Maverick. I would recommend using a Falcon bellhousing to get the starter higher up on the RH side.

Clean looking swap.

I read in one of your other posts that you were able to use that engine without firewall mods, and while retaining the stock fan...?

Was your Willys originally a six-cylinder truck? What trans did you use, or did you use an adapter?

How do you like the engine's driveability?

Last edited by a moderator:
You sent me a PM about the 2001 - 4.0 I put in my 62 Wagon , so I figured I would post it here for everyone else. I installed a H.O. 4.0 with a aw4 - 4 speed auto tranny , Dana 300 transfere case , power steering and power brakes . I also installed a Dana 30 front diff. with disc brakes .All the parts came from a Cherokee so , it was all Jeep parts . It did take a little firewall massaging to get it to fit but , very minor . The engine only had 49 thousand miles on it when installed and by the way , it was fuel injected so there was a computer installed .It ran like a brand new engine . It seemed like it was meant for this truck , it was perfect . I also did a spring over with stock springs and it had 33 " tires . By the way , it was 4wd . Probably the biggest problem I had was the spring over conversion as it never really steered that great afterward . I used degree shims which helped a lot but , it wasn't perfect .It got good gas mileage , tranny shifted perfect , never overheated and the power for the wagon was perfect .I ended up selling the vehicle as the amount of rust it had was way to much and I sold it to an owner of a body shop .I had it for ten years . I had it up to 90 once on the freeway but , that was crazy , and I only did it once to see if it could do it ! I am sure it would do over a hundred . I loved that wagon and would have drove it anywhere . I also lost a lot of money when I sold it but , you never get out of them whet you put into them . The off road experience with it was priceless . I now have another wagon and it is a 1961 . It has a little rust but , nothing like the other one had . It has a 383 stroker sbc v8 , power steering , sm 465 4 speed manual , sm 205 transfere case , Dana 44 front , and a 12 bolt rear diff. I made new panels for the interior out of 1/4 " Masonite and recovered them also installed boom mat inside all body panels . Also installed bucket seats in the front . The wagon sits on a K5 blazer chassis and the motor fits great with no firewall mods . It is using the factory K5 radiator with dual electric fans but , gets a little warm on hot days and I will probably end up getting a good radiator , high flow water pump and better elec. fans .Gas mileage isn't all that great but , not to bad if I take it easy but , it doesn't help that I run 38.5" x 15" tires . I will also get fuel injection for this one even though the Holley h/p series 750 carb. run good , it has a hard time operating at angles as I use this wagon for 4 wheeling .The power to weight ratio was probably better with the other wagon with the 4.0 , vs. the monster I have now as it puts out 550 h/p , but man is it fun !

Last edited:
My 61 wagon has been on this forum since 2009, and it is of the resto-mod variety. Since the request was for engine swap information and pics, I will only address that.
Swapped in engine is a 1999 Chevy 5.7L V8 and 4L80E trans from a rollover, within 6 months of being sold new. Engine held in place with Advance Adapters mounts spec'd for a Willys wagon or truck. I boxed the frame behind the mounts and welded the mounts to the frame. The front crossmember was trimmed at the rear flange to clear the crank pulley which allowed clearance for the trans and distributor without firewall rework. Elec fans now handle the cooling. I recently put in a wider radiator with a different shroud. I cut about 1.5" off the passenger headlight bucket to allow room for the radiator. I know it's a compromise, but I want to see how well it handles the TX summer heat and humidity, then I can address a more sanitary install.(I missed the opportunity last summer). I still have the A/C condenser in front of the radiator, but if it overheats I can relocate it with a fan to underside driver side.
How does it drive? The computer was reflashed to bypass the passkey feature, and some performance programming was done while they had it. It has not been on a dyno. I put a K&N on it. It runs by computer, starts every time. it runs 70/75 mph , and only gets scary in 15+ mph winds. City:13/Hwy:17, due in part to the sleek body design and 33:12.50's.. I am moving to Houston, hotter than Dallas, and will report on my cooling issues. Another important thing I learned, if it has a ground wire, run a dedicated ground to a buss bar, and have the buss well tied to the battery.

Gary

01330021.jpg FordNew2.jpg

Here is my 58 Wagon with a 355 SMALL Block Chevy. The engine mount on the right is a Hurst Front Mount which they started making in the mid 50s and are still available today. That is what I used on my 58. People have been swapping engines into the wagons since they first came out.When the first V8 came out in 55, a lot of people were putting them in their Willys. I have a 47 Delivery I'm working on right now that came to me with a 55 Chevy rear, trans and Hurst front mount.

I never saw my Grandpa's '55 Wagon, but he swapped in a Chevy 235 six using some jury-rigged set of adapters and a big hammer. Don't have any engine shots, but here are two of the wagon:

Scramboleer

You sent me a PM about the 2001 - 4.0 I put in my 62 Wagon , so I figured I would post it here for everyone else. I installed a H.O. 4.0 with a aw4 - 4 speed auto tranny , Dana 300 transfere case , power steering and power brakes . I also installed a Dana 30 front diff. with disc brakes .All the parts came from a Cherokee so , it was all Jeep parts .It got good gas mileage , tranny shifted perfect , never overheated and the power for the wagon was perfect .

Thanks for posting about this here. As you know, the Jeep straight six swap was something I was particularly interested in doing myself, and the info you provided here was exactly what I needed. Sounds like your current wagon with the stroker 383 is quite a nice ride, too.

View attachment 7187 View attachment 7188

Here is my 58 Wagon with a 355 SMALL Block Chevy. The engine mount on the right is a Hurst Front Mount which they started making in the mid 50s and are still available today. That is what I used on my 58. People have been swapping engines into the wagons since they first came out.When the first V8 came out in 55, a lot of people were putting them in their Willys. I have a 47 Delivery I'm working on right now that came to me with a 55 Chevy rear, trans and Hurst front mount.

I have to agree about the engine swap legacy of Willys trucks, as I've seen plenty that have had other engines swapped in thirty or forty years ago, and sometimes more.

I used that same Hurst engine mount in an engine swap for my '40 Ford pickup because it was an old-school part, but found they work best with shorter manual transmissions that with long automatics, as the later tend to mount at the tail shaft and leave a long, unsupported span, which can result in cracked trans housings, especially in a 4x4. They sure are handy mounts, though, and look right in older trucks.

My 61 wagon has been on this forum since 2009 ... Swapped in engine is a 1999 Chevy 5.7L V8 and 4L80E trans from a rollover, within 6 months of being sold new. Engine held in place with Advance Adapters mounts spec'd for a Willys wagon or truck. I boxed the frame behind the mounts and welded the mounts to the frame. The front crossmember was trimmed at the rear flange to clear the crank pulley which allowed clearance for the trans and distributor without firewall rework. Elec fans now handle the cooling. I recently put in a wider radiator with a different shroud...Another important thing I learned, if it has a ground wire, run a dedicated ground to a buss bar, and have the buss well tied to the battery. Gary

I would imagine this is swap, along with a Chevy Vortec v6, represent the swap most people are interested in doing these days due to the fuel injection and overdrive auto trans. Thanks for posting so many details, especially that one about the ground wire and buss bar. Those kind of details are invaluable to first timers trying to replicate your swap.

I swapped in the 250 six with a trans-dapt adapter that I purchased off of E-bay. I retained all of the stock drivetrain except for the engine, and everything is in the stock locations.

The truck was an original 226 L6 that my father has used for snowplowing for over 40 years.

The 250 ci engine, seems to have quite a bit more power than the original did. This is the Maverick/Falcon 6 cylinder engine, not to be confused with the 240 or the 300 engine. The 240/300 engines are too long, without extensive mods. The "small six" was also available as the 171 and 200 ci models. These were even available in the pre-'78 Ford Bronco's too. The 250 is basically a 200 with more stroke (Which required a taller engine block).

I think it is an excellent candidate for these old trucks. It still has that straight six sound too !

Link to swap : http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469612&highlight=250+Ford+cylinder

Last edited:
Here's a couple of pics of the Buick 231 in my '48 2wd wagon. With the exception of the Holley intake and a Q-jet from a Buick Electra 4.1, it's stock, from a '79 Buick Century. It's backed by a TH350 trans and a Monte Carlo SS rear. The radiator is a stock Willys with a fabricated shroud and an electric fan. I won't be able to tell you how it runs yet, but will in a couple of weeks

Later...

Lee

Very clean V6 installation! These engines really do fit great. I wonder if anyone out there has ever done a swap with a Buick odd-fire v6?

Ford 250 ci six cyl swap

I swapped in the 250 six with a trans-dapt adapter that I purchased off of E-bay. I retained all of the stock drivetrain except for the engine, and everything is in the stock locations ... I think it is an excellent candidate for these old trucks. It still has that straight six sound too !

Link to swap : http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469612&highlight=250+Ford+cylinder

Thanks for posting this link to your Ford six banger swap...lots of great technical information ! Although Ive rarely seen this swap done, it definitely seems like an excellent alternative.

218.jpg220.jpgWaiting for harness.jpgAnd to round out the mix, here are some pics of my GM4.3L V6 and 4L60E going in. The hardest part of this swap is the harness and PTM. What to leave in, what to take out. Lot's and lot's of room. Compared to putting a small block in a '67 Mini Cooper this is a piece of cake!
Cheers!
Johnny Mac
Oh, and yeah, yeah, I know something is missing from my front axle!

Very clean V6 installation! These engines really do fit great. I wonder if anyone out there has ever done a swap with a Buick odd-fire v6?

I believe all the older Buick V6 engines were odd fire and many were used in Jeeps. In fact some were factory installed around 1970 in CJ's and Commando's. The old Buick odd fire is a stronger engine due to the crankshaft configuration. The even fire engine is a smoother running engine, especially at idle.

Last edited:
I believe all the older Buick V6 engines were odd fire and many were used in Jeeps. In fact some were factory installed around 1970 in CJ's and Commando's. The old Buick odd fire is a stronger engine due to the crankshaft configuration. The even fire engine is a smoother running engine, especially at idle.

Exactly...so in some ways it is kind of a Jeep engine swap into a Willys, but for some reason it's not one that seems to be done, either back in the day or now. Its not a real big engine (225 and 231 ci, I think?) but evidently they make decent power and torque, and as you noted, they used them in Commandos, so maybe it would be a decent match for a Willys if someone didnt need a powerhouse engine.

... plus they have that cool odd-fire rumble to them.

Last edited:
Back